Author Topic: authorizations  (Read 19226 times)

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: authorizations
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »
i still think just having auth apps like before would be the best idea in the long-term because then instead of seeing someone with something that requires an auth and spending like an hour talking to them about it, we can just flick to the auth app they made and if it was accepted and what conditions there are to the authorisation, if any

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Board Moderator
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 03:03:08 PM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Live free or die

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 03:30:34 PM »
Maybe we dont need spot auths. Maybe instead of admins giving it, players can just use it as a guideline to see if what they want needs an auth or they can just aquire it.

Example, a player finds a cassette player and an old megadeth casette. They can look at the flow chart:

Can it be used as a deadly weapon? No
Is it uncommon? No
Is it of classified value? No
Will it affect anyones RP? Yes (they will ICly hear the music)
Will it give the player an advantage over others? No
Will it affect anyones RP in a negative way? No

No auths required. However if an admin asks, they must provide a valid backstory as to how they got it and how they maintain it.

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »

^
What we had going has always worked pretty well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »

^
What we had going has always worked pretty well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Don't start this shit again.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »

^

why, there is no reason to change how auth apps are handled lol

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »

^

Agree, it worked fine the way it was and no one complained about it often. Seemed to get the job done, so there isn't a reason to make a new system.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 11:21:02 PM »

^

I agree that auth apps don't need to be changed, but just using the good ol' "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" excuse to justify it is fucking retarded and annoying. Give reasons for why it's fine. A reason of why it works is because the auth apps that we had were very effective as admins could pick out major flaws in an app thanks to the format.

C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 12:18:23 AM »
ok who needs suggestions, our last hl2rp ran well so lets not improve it!
if it broke don't fix it right guys!

literally the worst mentality you can bring here

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 01:59:21 AM »
ok who needs suggestions, our last hl2rp ran well so lets not improve it!
if it broke don't fix it right guys!

literally the worst mentality you can bring here

Pretty much this.

Guys, horses back in the day worked just fine, so "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! Cars were invented for a reason, they better. Adding new things into HL2RP will make it better. Just because a system is 'fine' doesn't mean it can't be improved. Why should we even bother having a suggestion board because "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Sorry if my sentences are worded weird, I'm really tired right now so proof reading is a nope.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 02:38:29 AM »
Adding new things into HL2RP will make it better.

this isn't really true, until someone suggests a valid and good reason with a proper suggestion that works and has no flaws i don't see a reason to change apps either, they worked fine, it doesn't matter if hl2rp was bad before, it wasn't because because of the apps for people to find toasters in the wild

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 02:44:16 AM »
I don't have a problem with auths and how they were handled but I actually agree with KMP when he says

"dont say 'if it aint broke dont fix it' - kmp 2k14

If we dont change shit then the server will just nosedive into obliteration a week after launch just like it did before, of course I think it best to keep auths the same and change other things like our CP/Anti-Citizen policies, focus on cca to be removed and an emphasis placed on AC rp and civi rp.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 05:14:23 AM »
i fail to see how changing auth apps, which are fine to begin and would still be more helpful than doing that spot auth thing, would improve hl2rp

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »
I don't have a problem with auths and how they were handled but I actually agree with KMP when he says

"dont say 'if it aint broke dont fix it' - kmp 2k14

If we dont change shit then the server will just nosedive into obliteration a week after launch just like it did before, of course I think it best to keep auths the same and change other things like our CP/Anti-Citizen policies, focus on cca to be removed and an emphasis placed on AC rp and civi rp.
Let's stop pretending as if the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is being applied to everything. We used it in the context of authorizations. The authorization system had no problems whatsoever. Your example, by the way, shows something that is broken and therefore needs fixing.

The problem we are consistently having with suggestions is that everyone wants to suggest the next big thing. We should avoid any changes that are huge and, instead, focus on tweaks.
Live free or die

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
The problem with the old auth system was that you had to apply for nearly everything. I remember when I played one time, found a brick and used it to attack someone. Guess what, he started asking me for auths. Do you REALLY think its that hard to find a brick where the buildings are beginnining to wear down, and I mean, it's a brick. Or one time I had a non UU tshirt, guess what, I got bothered because I didn't have auths for it. Do you really think every single shirt magically disappeared off the face of the planet never to be seen again? If you have ever gone dumpster diving in your life you'd be amazed at the stuff you can find, but guess what, you need auths for nearly everything. Spot auths would be there to fix that problem, as I really dont think writing a multi paragraph application is necessary for a brick or a tshirt. Not only that, but does anyone at all remember how long it took for your application to be accepted/looked at? I remember when it sometimes took over a month. Spot auths fix that problem as it shouldn't take more than 30mins to go through the flow chart.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal