Author Topic: authorizations  (Read 19430 times)

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: authorizations
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
theres nothing wrong with the old auth apps as long as they arent north korea style of strictness

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »
theres nothing wrong with the old auth apps as long as they arent north korea style of strictness

pretty much this. If the system just gets a bit more lenient for basic kind of stuff that doesnt really dramatically affect roleplay, i think that itll be just fine

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »
The problem with the old auth system was that you had to apply for nearly everything. I remember when I played one time, found a brick and used it to attack someone. Guess what, he started asking me for auths. Do you REALLY think its that hard to find a brick where the buildings are beginnining to wear down, and I mean, it's a brick. Or one time I had a non UU tshirt, guess what, I got bothered because I didn't have auths for it. Do you really think every single shirt magically disappeared off the face of the planet never to be seen again? If you have ever gone dumpster diving in your life you'd be amazed at the stuff you can find, but guess what, you need auths for nearly everything. Spot auths would be there to fix that problem, as I really dont think writing a multi paragraph application is necessary for a brick or a tshirt. Not only that, but does anyone at all remember how long it took for your application to be accepted/looked at? I remember when it sometimes took over a month. Spot auths fix that problem as it shouldn't take more than 30mins to go through the flow chart.

Then if that's the problem, why not have both? Personally, I can see the advantages to Spot Auths, but the one key flaw that I do see is that they take place over steam so like previously mentioned, its a simple means of "lets ask the admin who likes me best!" so in which case, I think it should be forum based. While yes, it does sort of defeat the purpose of it being a "Spot" auth, we can go about making the authorization process for something like you mentioned much less...tedious. So instead of writing paragraphs for something insignificant, you can just list the character getting it, what you want, list the advantages and disadvantages and then write like one paragraph on how you plan to use it and submit.

Why not have auths separated into tiers or something? For example, Tier 3 auths would include things such as clothing, minor melee weapons (shanks, bats, razors), minor knowledge (novice level of more major skills), minor equipment (tools, helmets, rope), and minor abilities (light parkour, light gymnastics, etc) which would consist of the Spot Auth format and would be essentially fast to complete and fast to get reviewed (probably the same day), probably just looked at by any basic administrator and given the okay so that way people get their little needs and wants out of the way without a long process and there are still recorded documentation of it.

Tier 2 could consist of moderate melee (swords, axes, brass knuckles, etc), minor projectiles (sling shots, homemade bows, BB guns), moderate knowledge, moderate equipment, moderate abilities and the like which can maybe also be handled by Spot Auth formatting or not depending on what it is.

Tier 1 would be the big stuff which would, without a doubt be handled by the old auth system which would include firearms, above average knowledge, above average equipment, above average abilities and what not.

To be honest, I can find myself agreeing with this and it's really the best of both worlds since it encompasses both the want of a new system and the well known uses of the already established system. It's a compromise, you see? Everyone gets what they want.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:43:46 PM by Sexy Frog »

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
The problem with the old auth system was that you had to apply for nearly everything. I remember when I played one time, found a brick and used it to attack someone. Guess what, he started asking me for auths. Do you REALLY think its that hard to find a brick where the buildings are beginnining to wear down, and I mean, it's a brick. Or one time I had a non UU tshirt, guess what, I got bothered because I didn't have auths for it. Do you really think every single shirt magically disappeared off the face of the planet never to be seen again? If you have ever gone dumpster diving in your life you'd be amazed at the stuff you can find, but guess what, you need auths for nearly everything. Spot auths would be there to fix that problem, as I really dont think writing a multi paragraph application is necessary for a brick or a tshirt. Not only that, but does anyone at all remember how long it took for your application to be accepted/looked at? I remember when it sometimes took over a month. Spot auths fix that problem as it shouldn't take more than 30mins to go through the flow chart.

Then if that's the problem, why not have both? Personally, I can see the advantages to Spot Auths, but the one key flaw that I do see is that they take place over steam so like previously mentioned, its a simple means of "lets ask the admin who likes me best!" so in which case, I think it should be forum based. While yes, it does sort of defeat the purpose of it being a "Spot" auth, we can go about making the authorization process for something like you mentioned much less...tedious. So instead of writing paragraphs for something insignificant, you can just list the character getting it, what you want, list the advantages and disadvantages and then write like one paragraph on how you plan to use it and submit.

Why not have auths separated into tiers or something? For example, Tier 3 auths would include things such as clothing, minor melee weapons (shanks, bats, razors), minor knowledge (novice level of more major skills), minor equipment (tools, helmets, rope), and minor abilities (light parkour, light gymnastics, etc) which would consist of the Spot Auth format and would be essentially fast to complete and fast to get reviewed (probably the same day), probably just looked at by any basic administrator and given the okay so that way people get their little needs and wants out of the way without a long process and there are still recorded documentation of it.

Tier 2 could consist of moderate melee (swords, axes, brass knuckles, etc), minor projectiles (sling shots, homemade bows, BB guns), moderate knowledge, moderate equipment, moderate abilities and the like which can maybe also be handled by Spot Auth formatting or not depending on what it is.

Tier 3 would be the big stuff which would, without a doubt be handled by the old auth system which would include firearms, above average knowledge, above average equipment, above average abilities and what not.

To be honest, I can find myself agreeing with this and it's really the best of both worlds since it encompasses both the want of a new system and the well known uses of the already established system. It's a compromise, you see? Everyone gets what they want.

I think this would work. Having tiers of auths would make the process much more simple. Have tier one auths easy and quick to write up since they would be less "obstructive" to roleplay. Make it simple and whatnot. To find what tier auth you would be applying for, then I think a flowchart should be used and from that you would be told that your requested auth is Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. From there, you'd fill out different formats. But yes do this pls.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Monkey with a gun

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 04:41:34 AM »
wall of text

Yes. Somebody listen to this man.

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
I see no reason that people require auths (of any type) for common items that hardly affect stuff. If someone finds a brick and wants to use it.. let them. If an admin (or other player idk) asks for proof that it was actually obtained ICly and not /me shits a brick then they should provide it.

However I agree with having both spot auths and written auths for different kind of stuff so yeah

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
So, about that thing I brought up where we dont need spot auths.

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2014, 06:36:50 AM »
I think that the way of handling authorizations in the days of the last HL2RP era was one of the reasons resulting in it's extinction.

To keep the server alive, you need new players and you need to make them stay.
They want their characters to go in action and you don't let them because:
  • Write a million words backstory about:
    • How you broke a window with a random object and took the glass shard to use it as a makeshift knife, or how you found a rusty piece of wire or a little square of metal with sharp edges that would serve the same purpose.
    • How you managed to smuggle an old t-shirt, a pair of shoes or a hat of yours from the pre-war era in your suitcase, because the UU is perfect and there's absolutely no way your suitcase wouldn't get searched in it's entirety.
    • How your character used to take martial arts lessons for a few months and gained some basic self-defense abilities. Don't forget to include the same, generic backstory already seen before.
  • Make up a handful of fake perks and disadvantages of you having the item. Please refrain from telling us you want to look cool and have fun because that's not what we're aiming for.
  • Wait a few days for the administration team to review your application. Reapply twice because your grammar isn't the best and because the ability to write a sentence or two in a form of /me definitely isn't sufficient to RP.

Take what I said above with a grain of salt, but think of it.
Like, of course there'd be metal detectors and probably x-ray scans utilized on the suitcases, but there's this factor named human error and the fact that t-shirts and books aren't made of metal.

What is the risk of letting a player gain an IC item like a t-shirt or shoes they can brag with, or even a knife? There's the risk of roleplay. What if you had the units roleplaying confiscate your items on sight and detain you for a little while? No way we can allow that to happen, right?

Even if you get a knife, so what? You go and mug someone. There's roleplay in the mugging itself, there's roleplay in them reporting you, in the units going after you, in your detainment or execution, in the victim seeking medical attention (even if it only went as far as purchasing a bandage from a player-seller, it's still better than "sit in p3 and repeat indefinitely").
Of course, when you give a player a perk there's a high chance they'll abuse it sometime. So what? Even if you go and stab everyone around with your IC knife, given a decent administration team who won't instantly physgun you, ban you and void everything, you will cause some roleplay (again! woah!). The victim will probably cause it too as they might seek medical attention again.

The requirements put in place were stupid and are the cause of why the server died. The influx of new players literally died out and I believe this is the cause of it. The administration acts more like "fun police" than "administration and roleplay assistance".

You don't let new players have fun, they leave, simple as that.
"No guns in plaza" and "no guns outside of p3". No fun allowed. Worst case - unit is headshot and drops their weapons.  Admins have to spend fifteen minutes looking up who all got the guns, what a disaster. They have to work. Shame. (hint, there can be systems put in place to allow for easier logging/tracing of weapons)
"No rogue units without owner approval" - rogue units should be allowed, given the character has a valid reason. Agreement of a handful of administrators / SA should be enough. If they cannot be trusted then they shouldn't be administrators. What are the risks of a rogue unit anyways? Dropping weapons? See the previous point. Other than that, it's just the risk of roleplay, again.

typical khub you just point out whats wrong and i dont agree with you because xxx
I voiced my opinion, feel free to disagree. Provide counter-arguments and I will try to react.

you're dumb it wasn't like this go away you're just wrong we don't want your opinion stick it up your ass
ok

ok so you pointed out whats wrong but how to fix??

My suggestions:

• Instruct administration not to act like fun police.
  • Stop making tons of rules that will prevent roleplay just because there's a chance of it resulting in a breach of the server rules.
  • Demote administrators who intervene in roleplay only because it might eventually sometime possibly result in someone breaking a rule.
  • Demote administrators who intervene in/void roleplay because a rule was broken, as long as it's not massive RDM and as long as the situation can be dealt with ICly.

Most of the requirements and restrictions currently in effect serve two purposes:
1. remove player fun
2. make admins' jobs easier

That's wrong.
There obviously need to be some rules and restrictions put in place but not like this.

In-spot authorizations are a good idea, but I cannot see them working well due to the already mentioned problem of admin bias.

There should also be a system that allows for easier applications on both sides (players and admins).
Imagine a part of the TAB menu called "Authorizations", synchronized with the forum. That way, you can fill up the application ingame if it's something minor and it's posted to the forums for you. Administration members vote on the application, even from in-game. Given enough votes or a SA's approval, the application is accepted. People can use a command like '/Auths' while looking at you, you select authorizations granted to your current character that you'd like to show them. Administrators can use this command to instantly revoke an authorization or to tweak it.

Edit: While I guess I can understand the reasons behind postponing certain things (outlands, OTA, vortigaunts) until the server is running well, it can get a little counter-productive. I believe you should set everything up before the server is launched. You keep players by providing them fun/entertainment/roleplay, not by saying "this thing you like won't come until we are 128/128 populated for two weeks in a row, you have to wait bored meanwhile".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:59:21 AM by Khub »

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2014, 11:37:48 PM »
I think that the way of handling authorizations in the days of the last HL2RP era was one of the reasons resulting in it's extinction.

• How you broke a window with a random object and took the glass shard to use it as a makeshift knife, or how you found a rusty piece of wire or a little square of metal with sharp edges that would serve the same purpose.
    • How you managed to smuggle an old t-shirt, a pair of shoes or a hat of yours from the pre-war era in your suitcase, because the UU is perfect and there's absolutely no way your suitcase wouldn't get searched in it's entirety.
    • How your character used to take martial arts lessons for a few months and gained some basic self-defense abilities. Don't forget to include the same, generic backstory already seen before.
  • Make up a handful of fake perks and disadvantages of you having the item. Please refrain from telling us you want to look cool and have fun because that's not what we're aiming for.
  • Wait a few days for the administration team to review your application. Reapply twice because your grammar isn't the best and because the ability to write a sentence or two in a form of /me definitely isn't sufficient to RP.

Like, of course there'd be metal detectors and probably x-ray scans utilized on the suitcases, but there's this factor named human error and the fact that t-shirts and books aren't made of metal.

What is the risk of letting a player gain an IC item like a t-shirt or shoes they can brag with, or even a knife? There's the risk of roleplay. What if you had the units roleplaying confiscate your items on sight and detain you for a little while? No way we can allow that to happen, right?

Even if you get a knife, so what? You go and mug someone. There's roleplay in the mugging itself, there's roleplay in them reporting you, in the units going after you, in your detainment or execution, in the victim seeking medical attention (even if it only went as far as purchasing a bandage from a player-seller, it's still better than "sit in p3 and repeat indefinitely").
Of course, when you give a player a perk there's a high chance they'll abuse it sometime. So what? Even if you go and stab everyone around with your IC knife, given a decent administration team who won't instantly physgun you, ban you and void everything, you will cause some roleplay (again! woah!). The victim will probably cause it too as they might seek medical attention again.

The requirements put in place were stupid and are the cause of why the server died. The influx of new players literally died out and I believe this is the cause of it. The administration acts more like "fun police" than "administration and roleplay assistance".

"No guns in plaza" and "no guns outside of p3". No fun allowed. Worst case - unit is headshot and drops their weapons.  Admins have to spend fifteen minutes looking up who all got the guns, what a disaster. They have to work. Shame. (hint, there can be systems put in place to allow for easier logging/tracing of weapons)
"No rogue units without owner approval" - rogue units should be allowed, given the character has a valid reason. Agreement of a handful of administrators / SA should be enough. If they cannot be trusted then they shouldn't be administrators. What are the risks of a rogue unit anyways? Dropping weapons? See the previous point. Other than that, it's just the risk of roleplay, again.

typical khub you just point out whats wrong and i dont agree with you because xxx
I voiced my opinion, feel free to disagree. Provide counter-arguments and I will try to react.

you're dumb it wasn't like this go away you're just wrong we don't want your opinion stick it up your ass
ok

My suggestions:

• Stop making tons of rules that will prevent roleplay just because there's a chance of it resulting in a breach of the server rules.
  • Demote administrators who intervene in roleplay only because it might eventually sometime possibly result in someone breaking a rule.
  • Demote administrators who intervene in/void roleplay because a rule was broken, as long as it's not massive RDM and as long as the situation can be dealt with ICly.

Most of the requirements and restrictions currently in effect serve two purposes:
1. remove player fun

That's wrong.
There obviously need to be some rules and restrictions put in place but not like this.

In-spot authorizations are a good idea, but I cannot see them working well due to the already mentioned problem of admin bias.

There should also be a system that allows for easier applications on both sides (players and admins).
Imagine a part of the TAB menu called "Authorizations", synchronized with the forum. That way, you can fill up the application ingame if it's something minor and it's posted to the forums for you. Administration members vote on the application, even from in-game. Given enough votes or a SA's approval, the application is accepted. People can use a command like '/Auths' while looking at you, you select authorizations granted to your current character that you'd like to show them. Administrators can use this command to instantly revoke an authorization or to tweak it.

Edit: While I guess I can understand the reasons behind postponing certain things (outlands, OTA, vortigaunts) until the server is running well, it can get a little counter-productive. I believe you should set everything up before the server is launched. You keep players by providing them fun/entertainment/roleplay, not by saying "this thing you like won't come until we are 128/128 populated for two weeks in a row, you have to wait bored meanwhile".

Khub pretty much gets it. Either way, if you are buttbuddies with the admin team, you can still abuse the auth system, spot on auths or the old auth way. But aside from that I pretty much agree with Khub on everything. The admin team should really re-evaulate what their job is and what they should be doing. Less intervention in every little aspect of roleplay by admins would help tremendously.

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Board Moderator
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2014, 12:10:08 AM »

ok

My suggestions:

1. remove player fun

That's wrong.

Khub pretty much gets it. Either way, if you are buttbuddies with the admin team, you can still abuse the auth system, spot on auths or the old auth way. But aside from that I pretty much agree with Khub on everything. The admin team should really re-evaulate what their job is and what they should be doing. Less intervention in every little aspect of roleplay by admins would help tremendously.
In any context, if you're friends with someone in power, then you can abuse that relationship to your own advantage. That's an inescapable reality of life.
Live free or die

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2014, 01:12:55 AM »
Regardless of it being an inescapable reality of life, we should try to avoid it. If admins are abusing their powers or giving special treatment for people, they shouldn't really be an admin. I think there's a whole thread on that idea here.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline Dixon

• I do everything LIKE A BOSS
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
I say Cow got it.

No one should get special privileges.

I would like to add to that, even Admins even he/she is liked by the entire community, they still shouldn't get anything better than anyone else in the community, I liked the fact that even a new player could mug an admin and the admin wouldn't even have enhanced martial art skills, hell, even a gun for christ sake, I have been to several servers after CG HL2RP died and on every server, the SA's were treated like Gods, Owner had SeC and all the SA's or Admins were the DvLs and CmD.

CG was different, if they had the right RP capability they could be literally anything or nearly have anything, if you knew how to Roleplay as a species or knew how a weapon worked, if the person knew how to handle or clean a katana, a firearm, of course RPG's were out of the question but even so, if you can provide the right backstory and have amazing grammar, you could potentially get what you applied for, we should keep the north korea strictness because it was really needed, well maybe for a glass shard is a bit far, wouldn't be a long story but a somewhat compelling one. (dudedixonstfu)

What I'm trying to get at is, a normal player could have SeC if they're amazing at RP and knows the lore of how SeC works, I didn't know what our server lore was, I presumed (after seeing other servers) that SeC was a giant robot who ordered all squads, probably a seven foot machine.

But- Back to the applications.

Then there is hate, if an admin or a normal player hates a player, they are more likely to -Support the application from sheer hate and possibly the Application was terrible but if the application was good in the eyes of others, this player -Supports because of again, hate as Lone said, we should try to avoid it and if people are getting special treatment from admins, they shouldn't be admin.

(really tired so im sorry if none of this made sense or seemed out of context)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:06:02 PM by Dixon »

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »

Tier 3 would be the big stuff which would, without a doubt be handled by the old auth system which would include firearms, above average knowledge, above average equipment, above average abilities and what not.

I was going to post this very thing, but you beat me to it. Therefore you sir, are an fagit.

Yes, we should keep the application auth system as it was, but also give hl2rp SA+ admins the authority to give in game auths without applications. 

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
Regardless of it being an inescapable reality of life, we should try to avoid it. If admins are abusing their powers or giving special treatment for people, they shouldn't really be an admin. I think there's a whole thread on that idea here.

That thread wasn't aimed at just admins, it was aimed at anyone who treated anyone differently because of their gender. But yes, if you're abusing your power then it should be taken away.

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »

ok

My suggestions:

1. remove player fun

That's wrong.

this young man is correct.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal