Author Topic: Epidemic Role Play  (Read 29964 times)

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Epidemic Role Play
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »
Its a great backstory for a base but there would be a number of things I would change in order to make it to the utmost realism as well as provide an excellent base for survival rp. But there wouldnt be much. Im sure a series of meetigs, polls, and discussions with the community will ensure we have the best story for this rp.

Simply a basis. It can be edited freely to one that would be better.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline GamingZealot

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »
Full support for this idea. Realistic zombie/post-apocolapse survival in a video game is both an incredibly interesting concept and a scarce one. I know that a serious roleplay server would be nothing like it, but the popularity of DayZ shows how much people crave this type of experience. What nerd hasn't dreamed of being stuck in a zombie apocolapse? The main point of what I'm saying is I think we would have little trouble attracting a player base for this server, from both our community playerbase  and new blood.

The idea of having a faction (the zeds) that is oppresive and threatening, but not unbeatable like the CCA sounds really beautiful after playing so much on HL2RP. Having a dynamic mindless threat to the refugees in the form of zombies allows much more freedom in what you can do with your character, rather than an unchanging Authority that just has a set of rules that if you break, you will almost inevitably die. I havent' played on outlands much, but from what I can tell it has an issue where tightly knit and closed groups rule the outlands and solo players are left out of the big happenings almost entirely. While I'm sure factions similar to that will form on this server, it seems to me like the constant threat of danger will make groups more welcoming, safety in numbers right. Zombies roaming the streets seems more threatening to groups than the infrequent and avoidable raids of OTA.

These are just my views, and I could be wrong. Regardless, full support to this game mode.
C18.CCA.UNIFORM-RCT.935 says "<:: Yes, I have a pipebomb. Do you require one?
 C45.CCA.APEX-DvL.313 reaches into his magical pocket where everything is contained no matter what it is, and takes out another armband
C45.CCA.UNION-OfC.713 radios in "<:: Oh, and then we get high off of fresh air and have sex with eachother using shotguns as sex toys.
Dr. Amanda Romano broadcasts "Perhaps it's better to compare the UU to an almost miraculous hair growth cream."

Offline Misty is kinda Mittens

• ʕಠᴥಠʔ
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 09:00:04 PM »
I give full support for this. It sounds like a great Idea. The thought of what outlands suppose to me is the only thing that comes to mind for me. Other than that its sounds cool.

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »
Full support for this idea. Realistic zombie/post-apocolapse survival in a video game is both an incredibly interesting concept and a scarce one. I know that a serious roleplay server would be nothing like it, but the popularity of DayZ shows how much people crave this type of experience. What nerd hasn't dreamed of being stuck in a zombie apocolapse? The main point of what I'm saying is I think we would have little trouble attracting a player base for this server, from both our community playerbase  and new blood.

The idea of having a faction (the zeds) that is oppresive and threatening, but not unbeatable like the CCA sounds really beautiful after playing so much on HL2RP. Having a dynamic mindless threat to the refugees in the form of zombies allows much more freedom in what you can do with your character, rather than an unchanging Authority that just has a set of rules that if you break, you will almost inevitably die. I havent' played on outlands much, but from what I can tell it has an issue where tightly knit and closed groups rule the outlands and solo players are left out of the big happenings almost entirely. While I'm sure factions similar to that will form on this server, it seems to me like the constant threat of danger will make groups more welcoming, safety in numbers right. Zombies roaming the streets seems more threatening to groups than the infrequent and avoidable raids of OTA.

These are just my views, and I could be wrong. Regardless, full support to this game mode.

That's is an excellent point you have raised actually. Yes, zeds would be the main antagonists of this RP aside from players themselves but the best part is that they need hardly any maintenance like the CCA does! No reforms! No drama! No ranks or leaders! If anything, the Zed faction would be fairly easy to kill and if this were to go through, I would heavily endorse that Zeds Loose often (save if they are mutated zombies such as one with a Witch Skin or Hunter or Tank or something) as they would be dead/crazed humans who have very little in the department of intelligence/rationale so if anything Epidemic RP is 100% focused on Survivor Roleplay as that is where the most fun is!

If anything, Epidemic RP would be a huge relief and break from HL2rp when it isn't populated as there is hardly as much to worry about. The only thing I would wonder about is gaining Zeds in Zed faction. Would it be application based like the CCA or something? Or would it be something ICly gained and you'd have to provide a screen shot of logs? Being that the initial infected Zeds in the faction may choose whom to infect by judging their RP when attacking them?

Personally I feel applications.

As for military faction, I feel it should be ran more or less the same as OTA.

>I'll never forget...

Offline Mr. Busch

• #Bluesquad
    #2Termz
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 09:18:10 PM »
I like this suggestion. I used to play this back in the dizz-ay and it was very fun. This and other severance/apoc. servers

Just one little thing I would like to throw in here though. The part about factions. It's fine if you have factions, but don't give them bases and just have like "Oh this territory is this group and this bar, gun store, and hotel go to this group." Have them do everything ICly. Have them build barricades and walls and other protection from the zombies (zeds, infected, or w/e). Don't just assign them a building with pre-made structures and defenses and say "Here you go.". It's fine if they expand their territory ICly and mark walls with graffiti and other forms of signs to let people know that this is their territory but don't just give them hand outs. It seems stupid.

Offline Mr. Pettit

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »
Military I could see only keeping peace in one area. Maybe some various choices like medical and mechanical knowledge to offer better rp and have them as main characters rather than events. So what that could do is make it so the military remnants stay to one area, very paranoid to venture off. So essentially it's a group of soldiers stuck that maybe have strict orders as to how to react to various situations to ease the OPness and not become an OTA/CCA type deal.

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 09:29:20 PM »
Military I could see only keeping peace in one area. Maybe some various choices like medical and mechanical knowledge to offer better rp and have them as main characters rather than events. So what that could do is make it so the military remnants stay to one area, very paranoid to venture off. So essentially it's a group of soldiers stuck that maybe have strict orders as to how to react to various situations to ease the OPness and not become an OTA/CCA type deal.

That being the case, we'd have to nerf their supplies a lot. That way we make sure they have to scavenge like everyone else, take risks like everyone else and have as much as chance of running into Zeds/bandits like everyone else. That way we make sure they don't become OTA/CCA replicas.

>I'll never forget...

Offline Mr. Pettit

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 09:43:25 PM »
That's what I was thinking. They would have to ration what they do have, and if they need more food, water, ammo etc. they have to face the other survivors and the infected as well as potentially violent groups that may attempt to take their stuff.

Offline GamingZealot

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »
This may be similar or the same to what Mr. Pettit was suggesting, since I got the idea from what he said, but my impression was that the military was gonna be kinda like it was in Left4Dead. That being that they have and area (think it was new orleans in l4d) that they have most/all of their manpower at protecting, creating a more or less safe area for survivors who make it there. Obviously some kind of twist would have to be thrown in, otherwise people would logically just stay there always. That could be either a lack of room so they only house temporarily, or they only have enough supplies to support the military members so you have to leave to get some for yourself. That was just my impression, but there are flaws so it could be a bad idea.
C18.CCA.UNIFORM-RCT.935 says "<:: Yes, I have a pipebomb. Do you require one?
 C45.CCA.APEX-DvL.313 reaches into his magical pocket where everything is contained no matter what it is, and takes out another armband
C45.CCA.UNION-OfC.713 radios in "<:: Oh, and then we get high off of fresh air and have sex with eachother using shotguns as sex toys.
Dr. Amanda Romano broadcasts "Perhaps it's better to compare the UU to an almost miraculous hair growth cream."

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
This may be similar or the same to what Mr. Pettit was suggesting, since I got the idea from what he said, but my impression was that the military was gonna be kinda like it was in Left4Dead. That being that they have and area (think it was new orleans in l4d) that they have most/all of their manpower at protecting, creating a more or less safe area for survivors who make it there. Obviously some kind of twist would have to be thrown in, otherwise people would logically just stay there always. That could be either a lack of room so they only house temporarily, or they only have enough supplies to support the military members so you have to leave to get some for yourself. That was just my impression, but there are flaws so it could be a bad idea.

Yeah, the problem with that is military becomes too OP. So nerfing their supplies and making them just as vulnerable as everyone else really, just that they have Kevlar, weapons and training that Survivors do not. That being said, if they stock up enough supplies, then they can stock up somewhere and temporarily take in Survivors and help them out and provide a camp or something but when supplies run low, who knows what'll happen. All in all, it pushes for RP that is never consistent and ever changing in a hellish Zombie Universe.

I mean, c'mon, look at the trends of today, peeps. The Walking Dead, the new Zombie based novels and 'survival manuals', Zombie Movies if anything, Zombies are capturing peoples minds about as much as the whole faggie Vampire fetish from Twilight. It can't hurt to appeal to public interests.

>I'll never forget...

Offline Frolie [Jellykid]

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
I like very much, yes. +Support, espicially with Stat and Oz working on a map for(ish) it.
I'm a fag

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
skipped the majority of arguing in this thread so excuse me if i missed something

while some of us were around for negrapolis and its early days trying to resurrect anything similar isn't going to live up to what you expect - not only that but i personally feel that several admins at cg are inexperienced with post apocalyptic roleplay and would unintentionally make things become either unrealistic, swayed in their favour or just unenjoyable for the majority of the server. an example of this would have to be the countless events done on hl2rp by administration that everybody has hated, just because the genre of the RP is going to change doesn't mean the admins will suddenly become better at it

another example would be skyler who had a fucking rpg and was essentially untouchable because of silents administration status besides from a higher ranking admin (which is how skyler died)

furthermore cg does not have the playerbase capacity to support both hl2rp and epidemic and hl2rp would die in the short run until cg failed to keep things fresh with epidemic then both servers would die

thanks for reading
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:07:50 PM by raged »

Offline hogs

• [LOOC] Shane West: cash first.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »
I like very much, yes. +Support, espicially with Stat and Oz working on a map for(ish) it.

but they aren't working on a map for it..?

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 11:15:13 PM »
while some of us were around for negrapolis and its early days trying to resurrect anything similar isn't going to live up to what you expect - not only that but i personally feel that several admins at cg are inexperienced with post apocalyptic roleplay and would unintentionally make things become either unrealistic, swayed in their favour or just unenjoyable for the majority of the server. an example of this would have to be the countless events done on hl2rp by administration that everybody has hated, just because the genre of the RP is going to change doesn't mean the admins will suddenly become better at it

another example would be skyler who had a fucking rpg and was essentially untouchable because of silents administration status besides from a higher ranking admin (which is how skyler died)

furthermore cg does not have the playerbase capacity to support both hl2rp and epidemic and hl2rp would die in the short run until cg failed to keep things fresh with epidemic then both servers would die

thanks for reading

Hence there would be a mass agreement, lots of advertising on high traffic sites where it is allowed (FacePunch, Youtube, etc) and there would need to be a few eyes here and there on administration as well as players. But just because people don't have experience in Post apoc RP doesn't mean they can't gain it. Nobody has experience in a lot of things until they finally try it and get good at it. Thus is the story of a lot of our good RPers today.

>I'll never forget...

Offline Elions

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 11:15:41 PM »
I can agree with Dallas' point of view on it being possibly abandoned after the first week or so... But at the same time, i don't see how this is not worth a try.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal