Author Topic: Epidemic Role Play  (Read 31790 times)

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Epidemic Role Play
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »
I'd actually probably get more involved in something like this than I would with HL2RP. I'm a /very/ big fan of this kind of roleplay/enviornment. I'd be willing to bet that there's a pretty good sized group of people that'd be interesed in something like this, and, if we got the word out there, we could attract them in and grow our own playerbase.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2013, 01:22:12 AM »
That's the thing too. You can't really advertise HL2rp anymore. It's so played out and over done that if you try, people will kinda just laugh in your face and say "Seen it, lol. You're just like every other pissy community advertising your unoriginal bull shit~"

I've even seen it before on a facepunch thread about a community advertising their HL2rp server. Needless to say they didn't attract much. But if you advertise and announce something rare, fun and innovative, people will come like bee's to honey. It's just how it works. Business

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline This is Red

• The best color in the world is  not red.
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2013, 03:10:18 AM »
The only real problem that comes to mind for me is the good ol' CCA/Citizen favoritism situation. What I mean by that is (as any hl2rp-frequent players will know) that most players prefer to play as the CCA rather then the Citizens, making it so citizenrp is scarce. If the Zombies/Survivors are underdeveloped and boring then the playbase will favor one side over the other. What that will lead to is either not many survivors or, god forbid, a zombie apocalypse without any zombies.

Aside from that little nitpick though, I for one am looking forward to something like this now. So for what it's worth, I +support this.

P.S. I swear Sexy if you got my hopes up for nothing I will rip you asunder
oh

Offline feedonswords

• fakken goat m8
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2013, 05:11:09 AM »
This is probably would help on the same level as OCRP2 when it is released with the community and the sad server signs with 0 players, I mean seriously... Zombie Apocalypse roleplay is extremely popular, just look at all the games and gamemodes for it now! I mean.. come on guys, we all know HL2RP has turned into a flop, that is almost always on 0 players. I know many of the serious HL2RP players wouldn't want it to go, but if you love it so much, why don't you go on it that much? I give +1 support for this.
Goats can fly if you eat a blue sandwich with swiss cheese.

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 06:15:36 AM »
The only real problem that comes to mind for me is the good ol' CCA/Citizen favoritism situation. What I mean by that is (as any hl2rp-frequent players will know) that most players prefer to play as the CCA rather then the Citizens, making it so citizenrp is scarce. If the Zombies/Survivors are underdeveloped and boring then the playbase will favor one side over the other. What that will lead to is either not many survivors or, god forbid, a zombie apocalypse without any zombies.

Most of the 'zombie' faction are actually just NPCs spawned randomly. The 'special' infected are the players.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
The only real problem that comes to mind for me is the good ol' CCA/Citizen favoritism situation. What I mean by that is (as any hl2rp frequent players will know) that most players prefer to play as the CCA rather then the Citizens, making it so citizenrp is scarce. If the Zombies/Survivors are underdeveloped and boring then the playbase will favor one side over the other. What that will lead to is either not many survivors or, god forbid, a zombie apocalypse without any zombies.

Aside from that little nitpick though, I for one am looking forward to something like this now. So for what it's worth, I +support this.

P.S. I swear Sexy if you got my hopes up for nothing I will rip you asunder

That's the thing as well. Given that it is a modern instance of RP where the current ideologies and governmental/cultural/social influences are in place there is a much more bountiful fount of RP. I can give examples.

In HL2rp, the reproductive suppression field makes procreation impossible.

In ERP, if you really really want to, while I personally wouldn't do it, you can couple with another player and make a child which would make more RP in terms of stress, emotion, pain and danger.

In HL2rp there is a general law system where you can get in trouble for breaking rules and laws of the IC government.

In Erp there are no laws. Only instinct.  You and what you think will help you live longer.

HL2rp there are only two real factions, everything else you are able to play are subfactions. The only real factions are Universal Union and Resistance. One or the other. Yes, loyalism technically falls under the UU category and vorts fall under resistance.

Erp has at least three factions. Military, Survivors and Infected.

Being as Erp has no particular bounds that restrict growth and character interaction as in HL2rp, you can literally act how you want with no repercussions. No arguments of "This unit did this but he cant do that because lolagainst canon" or worrying about structure. If anything the triumvirate factions would work to ensure cognitive balance as each has every reason to dislike the other. What do I mean?

Military obviously dislike the Infected for obvious reasons. Military can also dislike Survivors due to seeing them as a step away from being infected or bandits themselves. The very thing they try to stop.

Survivors dislike infected for obvious reasons but can also dislike the Military and can see them to blame for being places with the worlds safety and ultimately failing In their mission, thus causing survivors to believe the Military are at fault. Or even if a rumor spreads around that the infection was a experiment created by the Military as an attempt as biowarfare which would put blame on them more, even if untrue.

And the Infected....well they'd naturally hate everyone.

Also I want to clarify once more because people are still saying the same thing...I am not suggesting this to replace HL2rp. I would like to have both in place.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:20:36 PM by Sexy Frog »

>I'll never forget...

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2013, 03:07:24 PM »
You may say this is complicated and stuff but look at stalker rp;

A fair number of official factions(its around 5 or so, correct if wrong) along with loads of little player factions made by people RP'ing.

In this theres basiclly one faction thats not standard 'citizen' being the military, which if led correctly won't be so big anyway and so on. Special infected, much like the ghouls and bloodsuckers from stalkerRP, aren't on 24/7 and go on occasionally and so forth.

I really like this idea and do want.
what

Offline Mr. Pettit

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »
I'm kind of in the middle about official factions. In something like this, I think player made factions would work better as there's much more opportunity and potential for something new rather than a pre set goal and group that grows with little to no rp in game due to applications. The only ones I see that would make sense to have as official factions are the special infected and remnants. (police, military, whatever) And even then I'm not sure how it would work if there's very limited official factions. But then again there's various methods to getting into the group or being recruited and I'm only thinking of one.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:53:20 PM by Mr. Pettit »

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2013, 04:22:46 PM »
I think there should be factions as said; Military, Special Infected and a Traders faction. all else should be playermade groups
what

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
I'm kind of in the middle about official factions. In something like this, I think player made factions would work better as there's much more opportunity and potential for something new rather than a pre set goal and group that grows with little to no rp in game due to applications. The only ones I see that would make sense to have as official factions are the special infected and remnants. (police, military, whatever) And even then I'm not sure how it would work if there's very limited official factions. But then again there's various methods to getting into the group or being recruited and I'm only thinking of one.

I agree, 100% and that is what I mean. Military, Infected and Survivors. And by survivors, I mean normal people who are technically in no faction. They kinda count as they're own faction I guess. And the best part is that unlike HL2rp, you don't exactly need to be discrete about your groups too much! It's complete and utter freedom. Of course, there does become the threat of your group being taken out by Military remnants or something, but that's another story. But yes, player made groups are the best. I don't like official factions other than ones that are necessary.

I think there should be factions as said; Military, Special Infected and a Traders faction. all else should be playermade groups

To be honest, I don't even agree with Traders being a faction really. I think that should be left to players as well.

>I'll never forget...

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2013, 06:35:02 AM »
To be honest, I don't even agree with Traders being a faction really. I think that should be left to players as well.
Maybe not a faction in the sense that its a full on faction, perhaps a list of people who have trader characters(ooc name only) and they then have to be found IC'ly or asked etc, with the traders themselves(oocly watched to make sure they don't dick about but are trusted anyway if they're traders) structuring they're own groups and so forth.
what

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2013, 08:35:25 AM »
if this happens put me in charge of the military so i will make it perfect for everyone ok thanks

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »
if this happens put me in charge of the military so i will make it perfect for everyone ok thanks

I personally wouldn't argue with that, but again it comes down it if it is done. So far the decision seems unanimous. We even have an Owner who supports it along with numerous admins and members. Hopefully it goes through. I may just put a poll in this.

Edit: Poll added.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:37:26 AM by Sexy Frog »

>I'll never forget...

Offline Doctor Nice roButt

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2013, 12:11:34 PM »

Being as Erp has no particular bounds that restrict growth and character interaction as in HL2rp, you can literally act how you want with no repercussions. No arguments of "This unit did this but he cant do that because lolagainst canon" or worrying about structure. If anything the triumvirate factions would work to ensure cognitive balance as each has every reason to dislike the other. What do I mean?

That's not nessasarily true. Survivors would be not be restrictive at all, the military would be a little restrictive, but zombies would be incredibly restrictive. If we do go on with this server, I think zombies are not going to be all that popular except for the fact that you get powers and kill bunches of people. As a zombie, you are very restricted. There are certain rules you have to abide by. You can't just say 'I'm going to stop eating humans' or 'this human is my friend.' If certain zombie types have some sort of intelligence, that would be fun, but regular old zombies are going to be very scarce on account of how weak and probably boring they are. The only rp I see for the, is groaning, eating, and attacking. Special zombies can probably do more interesting stuff, but there's a problem if the server has more specials than normals.

Edit: Honestly it just sounds like another Outlands, except without OTA and that we actually have a zombie faction. If Outlands has proved anything, most everyone is going to be a gun wielding hotshot who doesn't afraid of anything. And if this is a serious rp server, zombie npc would be a bad idea. It's always fun when you're typing out a /me and the AI doesn't give to shots and attacks you anyway. And without npcs, we aren't going to have a lot of normal zombies and then it will become a survivor vs military rp with a few zombies, which sounds like HL2RP in a nutshell. As someone who loves zombies, I'd love any chance I could get to have a good zombie rp, but what I've read doesn't appeal to me at all. I only see apocalypse rp working as semi-serious since its so action based. Sure, rp between survivor and military would be fun, but having to /me fights between a zombie and anyone else is would be boring and hard to manage. Having to /me every punch and every shot really tones down on the action, which is what this rp seems to be about.

If it was semi-serious, normal zombie npcs could work. You'd need heavy sweps for everyone due to combat. I think it's be fun. You'd be walking around and all of a sudden a horde of zombies is around the corner. Maybe say a few words of "OH SHIT ZOMBIES" and a /me of shitting your pants, but then just pull out your gun. Like L4D but being able to do what you want, say what you want, and interact with characters more. You can rp pushing a military guy or  combing your hair, but when it comes down to zombie fights it just seems like it'd slow down everything to a boring pace and become to chaotic if your get surrounded by them.

Edit Edit: I keep thinking of stuff, sorry.
I'm going to make a prediction on how this is going to work out. Maybe I'm bitter or pessimistic, but whatever.
It's going to go well the first few weeks. There'll be a few bumps, but I can see a lot of people trying it out.
And then, survivors will start hoarding guns and other survivors will have a hard time finding any weapons. The military will start to get a little power hungry and start trying to take over areas. Zombies will feel on the bad end of the deal and too underpowered and start hating all the play the lose. This is me judging by our current serious roleplay playerbase.

I think the real focus we should put on before launching this is making sure zombies are an actual desirable faction. From what I heard, the rp seems more focused on survivor and military, which we already have. You can't really develop a zombie character as much as a human. The most development I see would be hating certain people more than others, learning new tactics, and finding other zombies to group up with.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:41:12 PM by Toxic Zombie »

"Bert John: Grammer, English, your sentence isn't making sense. "

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »

That's not nessasarily true. Survivors would be not be restrictive at all, the military would be a little restrictive, but zombies would be incredibly restrictive. If we do go on with this server, I think zombies are not going to be all that popular except for the fact that you get powers and kill bunches of people. As a zombie, you are very restricted. There are certain rules you have to abide by. You can't just say 'I'm going to stop eating humans' or 'this human is my friend.' If certain zombie types have some sort of intelligence, that would be fun, but regular old zombies are going to be very scarce on account of how weak and probably boring they are. The only rp I see for the, is groaning, eating, and attacking. Special zombies can probably do more interesting stuff, but there's a problem if the server has more specials than normals.

Edit: Honestly it just sounds like another Outlands, except without OTA and that we actually have a zombie faction. If Outlands has proved anything, most everyone is going to be a gun wielding hotshot who doesn't afraid of anything. And if this is a serious rp server, zombie npc would be a bad idea. It's always fun when you're typing out a /me and the AI doesn't give to shots and attacks you anyway. And without npcs, we aren't going to have a lot of normal zombies and then it will become a survivor vs military rp with a few zombies, which sounds like HL2RP in a nutshell. As someone who loves zombies, I'd love any chance I could get to have a good zombie rp, but what I've read doesn't appeal to me at all. I only see apocalypse rp working as semi-serious since its so action based. Sure, rp between survivor and military would be fun, but having to /me fights between a zombie and anyone else is would be boring and hard to manage. Having to /me every punch and every shot really tones down on the action, which is what this rp seems to be about.

If it was semi-serious, normal zombie npcs could work. You'd need heavy sweps for everyone due to combat. I think it's be fun. You'd be walking around and all of a sudden a horde of zombies is around the corner. Maybe say a few words of "OH SHIT ZOMBIES" and a /me of shitting your pants, but then just pull out your gun. Like L4D but being able to do what you want, say what you want, and interact with characters more. You can rp pushing a military guy or  combing your hair, but when it comes down to zombie fights it just seems like it'd slow down everything to a boring pace and become to chaotic if your get surrounded by them.

Edit Edit: I keep thinking of stuff, sorry.
I'm going to make a prediction on how this is going to work out. Maybe I'm bitter or pessimistic, but whatever.
It's going to go well the first few weeks. There'll be a few bumps, but I can see a lot of people trying it out.
And then, survivors will start hoarding guns and other survivors will have a hard time finding any weapons. The military will start to get a little power hungry and start trying to take over areas. Zombies will feel on the bad end of the deal and too underpowered and start hating all the play the lose. This is me judging by our current serious roleplay playerbase.

I think the real focus we should put on before launching this is making sure zombies are an actual desirable faction. From what I heard, the rp seems more focused on survivor and military, which we already have. You can't really develop a zombie character as much as a human. The most development I see would be hating certain people more than others, learning new tactics, and finding other zombies to group up with.

This is a rough suggestion based wholly from what I recall of a game mode that was around probably 2 years ago or more. So I don't exactly recall the 100% specifics as all I ever had on the server was a Survivor. But being as we'd be reviving this, we can do as we like. This would be an open book so we could very much write our own custom canon and create rules, restrictions and permissions for all three from the ground up.

You are right, it is mostly geared towards Military and Survivors as they would be the primary focus which is the problem we have with HL2rp, being more focused on the Oppressors rather than the victims as it is intended. It would not be able to be the case here. I think personally that we could give certain zombies levels of intelligence, and mind you, that's if you go by typical zombie canon of them ACTUALLY being dead. In the canon I posted a few pages back, the Zeds are not dead, but rather crazed, living humans infected by an advanced form of rabies which enlarges parts of the brain and heavily hinders rational thought and dulls pain receptors. That being said, you can go so far as to say the virus mutating within its hosts causes the host themselves to mutate leading to L4D Specials that can be given levels of intelligence and problem solving capabilities. I personally would disagree with making them intelligent and rational enough to act friendly towards non infected people but hell, we can add what ever we want. Zombies can Include passive as well. If we want, we can include the well known tactic of The Walking dead of cutting off the arms and lower jaw so they can't bite you and would make them passive. If anyone can think of more things, then we can use that also.

In regards to the Gun hoarding, that is inevitable no matter what kind of server you run. I bet if enough guns were flowed into city, people would gun sling and hoard left and right just like OL. I can't exactly comment on people not being scared of anything as that is under the control of others, but I can say that after a while in a zombie apocalypse,  dealing with non life threatening though horrific scenes like a disemboweled zed or survivor gets easier. Though I can say that guns should be as rare as how it is in city maybr a bit easier. The only ones who should really have guns are Military and that's with heavily limited ammo that they should conserve. Hence why a melee weapon swep would be needed like axes, shovels, hammers, etc to encourage melee weapon usage rather than firearm usage. Not to mention that ICly if you are a gun hoarder and you use a gun in an unneeded scenarios, you're an idiot. You're only gonna attract more.

As for the NPCs, I would expect them only to be used for events or to be places in enclosed locations such as certain buildings, but I would never recommend placing them in the open as it destroys more RP than it creates. We would have a set amount of Zeds that would maybe be special but I heavily encourage specials to be under types of restrictions based off populations and such rather than needing permission from someone. It would be a method of trust that say...you can't get on a Hunter character if there are less than 8 Survivors/military online. If they break that, they are removed. Simple. However, unlike OTA, Zeds have the capability of going out without a shit ton of auths from people you can only hope are online. It would be a self deploy system in my mind. Also, zeds would probably be mostly bound underground or something.

Ya dig?

>I'll never forget...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal