Author Topic: Religion and Relationships  (Read 20964 times)

Offline Major Mario

• View Profile
    • Awards
Religion and Relationships
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »
Just recently I heard from a relative that my older brother, a man fresh out of college with a good job, was breaking up with his fiance. The news was out of the blue and struck me hard, as I was looking forward to attending his wedding. When I asked about the circumstances that lead to this break-up, I was told there were a few minor reasons like not spending enough time together. However, the major reason was that my brother's girlfriend had found religion or something. When he would get home from work, she just wanted to do bible devotions and talk about their spiritual life in God, and wanted him to become the spiritual leader of their family.  She cut him off from sex, and wanted to start their relationship over from square one, all based on God. He didn't like being pressured to change to fit her needs.  I guess she couldn't accept him as he was. Not that he couldn't have tried to change a bit, a little disipline is good for a person, and a little more ambition couldn't hurt. But the religion thing is what really was getting to him.

I understand there many be people in this community who have their views on religion, (I for one don't believe) but I just can't fathom completely changing a relationship based on religion. It's a terrible, terrible thing to do that to someone you love because of the new views you hold.
"A strong fighter is not one who always wins, but one who stands after defeat." - Sagat

Re: Religion and Relationships
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
What's the point of this thread?
I'm not trying to be negative, I agree with you. Some atheists are going to far.

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
I'm not trying to be negative, I agree with you. Some atheists are going to far.
He went too far? What? She decided to find god and wanted HIM to change to fit her beliefs. My gf is a Christian and I am an atheist but she dosen't want to change me. If she couldn't accept him the way he was then he had every right to break up with her.
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline SoapANator

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »
Annnnd, that's the reason if I got a GF who is religious, I will not deal with it and I am an Athiest.
Former Characters:
Jimmy Valtizno - Civil Protection memeber for six months. Highest rank achived: EpU in APEX. Cause of Death: Shot, for attempted suicide.
Konstatine Ivanov - Held in prison cell for Anti-Civil activity for several months. Unkown if he's dead or alive.

MIA Characters
Gregory 'Death' Nikitn- Last seen wondering acorss the Outlands, in a critical state.
Zoe Kriyake - Has not been heard in weeks. Possibly re-located to C-18

Alive Characters
Pavalo Anodov - Wondering C18, unsure

Offline Darthkatzs

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:08:03 AM »

What's wrong with you? Have you even read the OP? What did HE do wrong?

Offline Raneman

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »

See religion in thread, don't read OP, as it's automatically the atheist's fault.

Bravo.

Offline Major Mario

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
I don't think my brother is an atheist, and if he was, he never told anyone. We used to go to church every Sunday, then we just became Christmas Christians, doing it because everyone else did. I'm just saying that the idea of cutting off a relationship because of religion is... well, for lack of a better word, stupid.
"A strong fighter is not one who always wins, but one who stands after defeat." - Sagat

Offline Kaiser Wilhelm I ?DetroitRP

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Yea, wtf did the guy do wrong. I'm a arian christian/ deist (It does not mean aryanism or white power rather it means that you think Jesus is just a prophet and also my religion is rather odd as it only takes the bible into a symbolic context rather a literal context or just as myth stories to listen to). Simply it just wouldn't work out this relationship. Imagine what would happen when they had children, it would be a fight to the death to whether they should be brought up christian or atheist. I have respect for all beliefs including atheism.

Offline GeneralTrivium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
I have respect for all beliefs including atheism.
You mean lack of.  ;D

I have read upon similar situations before, it really is sad. Love is blind, it shouldn't matter what religion someone is or isn't you generally don't care if you really love some one. She should have accepted him for who he was and recognize that pressuring him into such a thing is wrong. If she really loved him she should have realised this.

Offline Journeyman H. [UK]

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »
Having faith and being in a religion is fine.
But taking it to the point where religion rules your life and everyone around you, is detrimental.
Clearly racist.

Offline Kaiser Wilhelm I ?DetroitRP

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »
You mean lack of.  ;D

I have read upon similar situations before, it really is sad. Love is blind, it shouldn't matter what religion someone is or isn't you generally don't care if you really love some one. She should have accepted him for who he was and recognize that pressuring him into such a thing is wrong. If she really loved him she should have realised this.
What are you talking about. I live in NYC, one of the most diverse places in the world. I have atheist friends also.

Offline EmperorDisasster

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »
You mean lack of.  ;D

What are you talking about. I live in NYC, one of the most diverse places in the world. I have atheist friends also.

Well we've heard this before in, "I'm not racist, I have 1 black friend". Just because you have friends related to the above subject, this does not excuse you from any prejudice against people's beliefs.

TL;DR Just because you have atheist friends does not mean you are never offensive to them.
im bach

Offline Yimmy The Cat

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
CCD MODE ACTIVATED!

(Learned this at CCD a long time ago)

(BTW: CCD is a learning program for grades 1-8 who want to learn about there religion, so they can actually understand what goes on at church)

Actually, in Gods ways, she did something that was wroung. When you get married, it means that BOTH people in a marriage must always do things to make there spouse happy. If you don't, that is counted that you don't love them.

Overall, you don't love someone in God's eyes unless you would do ANYTHING for them.

What starts off as a joke soon becomes a gamemode.

I envy you :'(  Did you furiously pull your cock off until your penis shot pure childrens tears?

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »
I'm going to reply to this at the risk of sounding outdated because I've only read the first post, please ignore any points that I bring up if they were already discussed.

Religion is a touchy subject in relationships, obviously. I would like to start saying that it's probably a good thing they broke up. Two people who differ so much, especially on religious views, very rarely last together. One of the people would always be unhappy.

I also want to say that, from what you described, she seems a bit, overzealous? I'm willing to bet that no one in this thread spends hours a day reading bible quotes. Religion, in the case of one person, can improve their quality of life, and some people need that, however, it is not her right nor should it ever be acceptable that she should tell him what he should believe. This is one of the things that piss me off more than anything in the entire world.

I live in the middle of the bible belt and I see this nearly every day. In this day and age of public education, you would think that people would realize "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion," and that you, as a christian, are not a better American.

But I went a little bit off topic, the point is, this is a good thing. You don't want two people to be kept together if they aren't happy.

Offline Major Mario

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »
Someone77, you're right about that. It's better that the two people are happy alone than stressed and unhappy together. While I'm not a religious man myself, I respect those who do have one. They have faith in something, something to hope for. Yes, religion does tend to, on average, make a person happier.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal