Author Topic: Religion and Relationships  (Read 20965 times)

Offline Kaiser Wilhelm I ?DetroitRP

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Religion and Relationships
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 10:27:02 PM »
I have respect for all beliefs including atheism.
You mean lack of.  ;D

I have read upon similar situations before, it really is sad. Love is blind, it shouldn't matter what religion someone is or isn't you generally don't care if you really love some one. She should have accepted him for who he was and recognize that pressuring him into such a thing is wrong. If she really loved him she should have realised this.
What are you talking about. I live in NYC, one of the most diverse places in the world. I have atheist friends also.

Well we've heard this before in, "I'm not racist, I have 1 black friend". Just because you have friends related to the above subject, this does not excuse you from any prejudice against people's beliefs.

TL;DR Just because you have atheist friends does not mean you are never offensive to them.
So your attacking me? I respect all beliefs sir. I have never said anything against any atheist. I don't understand why I am being attacked when I have grown up in an area where all people's beliefs are accepted by the society. I  have am never offensive to them and I don't only have one. I do not understand why I am being ganged up on and I take this to offense. You have no reason to attack me as you don't know anything about my life. Now I'm going to be labeled a religious zealous idiot. Ahh, America.

Offline CrazyNinja

• No dad please
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 02:25:47 AM »
I'm an atheist , now if your highly into religion then you may not want to continue reading, just a warning, don't want butthurt.

Where shall I begin, well, my mom and a lot of my family believe in a god, as I do not mind people who do, as long as they don't try to change people and shove it down my throat when I don't want to believe in it.  My brothers and I say that church is just a "place of lies."  However, this is our prospective on it, and we will not bring it up unless you bring up religious values with us.  I personally, think of church as a cult, as they basically try to control a group of people and etc...  Now remember, this is my personal opinion.  If I ever get another girlfriend, and she tries to push her religious values and what not on me, even after I have told her no, then I will most likely dump her, as I don't want people to try to force me to believe in sometime I don't want or have the care in the world to believe in.

My 2 cents.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 02:49:55 AM »
I'm an atheist , now if your highly into religion then you may not want to continue reading, just a warning, don't want butthurt.

Where shall I begin, well, my mom and a lot of my family believe in a god, as I do not mind people who do, as long as they don't try to change people and shove it down my throat when I don't want to believe in it.  My brothers and I say that church is just a "place of lies."  However, this is our prospective on it, and we will not bring it up unless you bring up religious values with us.  I personally, think of church as a cult, as they basically try to control a group of people and etc...  Now remember, this is my personal opinion.  If I ever get another girlfriend, and she tries to push her religious values and what not on me, even after I have told her no, then I will most likely dump her, as I don't want people to try to force me to believe in sometime I don't want or have the care in the world to believe in.

My 2 cents.

I kinda agree with you. I am a Christian myself, and it really ticks me off when people try to shove it down others throat. I will have a discussion with other people about it, but I will not force it onto them. Some Atheists that I have spoken to are ignorant (I said some, and I am not saying all are like that, just in my experience with talking to them).

On Topic: If she was trying to force Christianity onto him, and he didn't want to be a Christian, then I think it was a good idea to break up due to the fact that she was forcing it onto him. The marriage would have been horrible with her always bickering about Christianity and not accept the fact that he is atheist.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline GeneralTrivium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 08:53:39 AM »
I have respect for all beliefs including atheism.
You mean lack of.  ;D

I have read upon similar situations before, it really is sad. Love is blind, it shouldn't matter what religion someone is or isn't you generally don't care if you really love some one. She should have accepted him for who he was and recognize that pressuring him into such a thing is wrong. If she really loved him she should have realised this.
What are you talking about. I live in NYC, one of the most diverse places in the world. I have atheist friends also.
Gah, I don't mean lack of respect, I mean lack of belief. Bah nevermind.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:55:13 AM by GeneralTrivium »

Offline Darthkatzs

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »
I'm going to make a weird comparison here, but it makes sense in a way.
Religious people are a bit like homosexual people. I can respect them in every way, but once they start forcing you to "respect them for who they are" while I already do and overact on their belief or sexuality, then they lose my respect. I think that this is also a big issue that leads to hatred against religious and gay people. Their's nothing wrong with believing in Alah, but when you kill people who don't, you're taking that step too far obviously.

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »
What's the point of this thread?
I'm not trying to be negative, I agree with you. Some atheists are going to far.

Lol, wut.
"In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars and sought to better themselves for the good of all. But we are much wiser now."

Offline psycho

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 02:15:36 PM »
I for one don't believe, but honestly I think it isn't his girlfriend's fault or his fault for the breakup. Religion is a horrible thing (in my completely subjective opinion) that twists people's minds into believing something that could do exactly what happened here - Break up what could have been love. In my opinion religion such as Christianity was made kind of like a "Santa Claus" story. "Be good, or bad things will happen" generally keeps people in line, and whether God exists or not, the simple believe of God changes the way a person lives their life, usually in the better (except in this case).

It can however, have some seriously negative side effects when you take it too far, eg. martyrdom. Religion was never created for people to give their lives over it, and when you start to suggest something like that you've taken it too far. I honestly wish I could believe, and in fact I used to, and I will admit my life was a lot better (by that I mean I wasn't into drugs and crime) than I am now, but attending a Christian school when I was younger honestly made me grow up and realize there is no God.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:23:47 PM by Psydog »
game over

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
Christmas/Saint nick...
Is pegan...

Either I see religion as away to make humans better in a time filled with wars..
Think about, the seven commandments are found in all the laws around the world they have become so inbeded in to this world that its become so common people don't notice them.

What if religion was made by a man as a way to improve humanity but taken to far by humans(Which we tend to do) to the point where we get wars.

In my mind Religion is more of a guide line to how you /Should/ live your life but the world has changed so religions part if our lifes must change.

America wouldn't shaped the way it is with out religion, the world would be changed in good ways and bad ways with out it.

Religion also brings comfort when you most need it(Heaven for when you lose a love one/are about to die, and hell for when you've lost some one to murder/has been stolen from)

I study religion but I do not follow it because of the morals that's it has put in to our world.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg
"In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars and sought to better themselves for the good of all. But we are much wiser now."

Offline Major Mario

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »
America wouldn't be shaped the way it is without religion. The world would be changed in good ways and bad ways with out it.

I study religion but I do not follow it because of the morals that's it has put in to our world.
All of our morals are based off of Religion. Entire countries have had their laws based off of them, to do no harm to another man. It may seem troublesome, but Religion is necessary, and without it where would we be?

Anyway, my brother has broken up with her and has decided to move back to his college town for work. It's smaller there, and he's known by the community so he'll be able to get a job again.
"A strong fighter is not one who always wins, but one who stands after defeat." - Sagat

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
Morals are NOT based out of religion.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnA3b8MhD0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnA3b8MhD0</a>

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
So if morals are based off of religion, are you one of the bigots who think that, because I don't believe in your god (I emphasize your because many different religions have very different moral values) that I have no morals?

Also, in most religions with a holy book or sacred text, the 'moral values' found within are more horrific and sickening than what I believe to be right. Lets take a look at a few, shall we?

You say: "Torture is wrong."
God says: "Violence cleanses evil." (Proverbs 20:30)

You say: "Owning people and slavery is wrong."
God says: "Enslave your neighbors who worship other gods." (Levictus 25:44-46)

You say: "The punishment should fit the crime."
God says: "Temporal crimes deserve eternal torture and punishment in hell." (Matthew 13:41-42)

You say: "Rape is not the fault of the victim."
God says: "Rape is a crime against the husband. Women who do not shout loud enough to be heard while being raped should be killed." (Deuteronomy 22:23-34)

I could go on.

And since I know a few of you will say "But that's the old testament!"
Matthew 5:17-19 Jesus says it still applies.

Morality is an evolutionary construct. Our kindness toward others rewards us in turn and makes us feel more confident. It's a byproduct of us wanting to be more confident.

I could go on about this, but there's an entire chapter in Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" which I recommend all of you read. I have a PDF version available here: RichardDawkinsGodDelusion.pdf but I recommend you buy it.

Imagine a world without religion

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »
I like this guy.

Offline EmperorDisasster

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »
Here's a plan! (THIS IS GONNA BLOW YOUR MIND /sarcasm) How about we keep forcing atheism out of this site, forcing religion out of this site, see that this guy's girlfriend was wrong to force religion into his relationship instead  of loving him, and live happily ever after in a world where we are judged by actions not beliefs? HMMMMMMMMMMMM?!
im bach

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
So if morals are based off of religion, are you one of the bigots who think that, because I don't believe in your god (I emphasize your because many different religions have very different moral values) that I have no morals?

Also, in most religions with a holy book or sacred text, the 'moral values' found within are more horrific and sickening than what I believe to be right. Lets take a look at a few, shall we?

You say: "Torture is wrong."
God says: "Violence cleanses evil." (Proverbs 20:30)

You say: "Owning people and slavery is wrong."
God says: "Enslave your neighbors who worship other gods." (Levictus 25:44-46)

You say: "The punishment should fit the crime."
God says: "Temporal crimes deserve eternal torture and punishment in hell." (Matthew 13:41-42)

You say: "Rape is not the fault of the victim."
God says: "Rape is a crime against the husband. Women who do not shout loud enough to be heard while being raped should be killed." (Deuteronomy 22:23-34)

I could go on.

And since I know a few of you will say "But that's the old testament!"
Matthew 5:17-19 Jesus says it still applies.

Morality is an evolutionary construct. Our kindness toward others rewards us in turn and makes us feel more confident. It's a byproduct of us wanting to be more confident.

I could go on about this, but there's an entire chapter in Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" which I recommend all of you read. I have a PDF version available here: RichardDawkinsGodDelusion.pdf but I recommend you buy it.

Imagine a world without religion
I'm Antagonistic...

either way this is off topic.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal