Author Topic: Religion and Relationships  (Read 20966 times)

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Religion and Relationships
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
So if morals are based off of religion, are you one of the bigots who think that, because I don't believe in your god (I emphasize your because many different religions have very different moral values) that I have no morals?

Also, in most religions with a holy book or sacred text, the 'moral values' found within are more horrific and sickening than what I believe to be right. Lets take a look at a few, shall we?

You say: "Torture is wrong."
God says: "Violence cleanses evil." (Proverbs 20:30)

You say: "Owning people and slavery is wrong."
God says: "Enslave your neighbors who worship other gods." (Levictus 25:44-46)

You say: "The punishment should fit the crime."
God says: "Temporal crimes deserve eternal torture and punishment in hell." (Matthew 13:41-42)

You say: "Rape is not the fault of the victim."
God says: "Rape is a crime against the husband. Women who do not shout loud enough to be heard while being raped should be killed." (Deuteronomy 22:23-34)

I could go on.

And since I know a few of you will say "But that's the old testament!"
Matthew 5:17-19 Jesus says it still applies.

Morality is an evolutionary construct. Our kindness toward others rewards us in turn and makes us feel more confident. It's a byproduct of us wanting to be more confident.

I could go on about this, but there's an entire chapter in Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" which I recommend all of you read. I have a PDF version available here: RichardDawkinsGodDelusion.pdf but I recommend you buy it.

Imagine a world without religion
I'm Antagonistic...

either way this is off topic.

How is it off topic? Someone raised the idea that without religion we cannot have morals- this is his rebuttal.
"In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars and sought to better themselves for the good of all. But we are much wiser now."

Offline [CG] Rekyit Merlo

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 10:52:23 PM »
What's the point of this thread?
I'm not trying to be negative, I agree with you. Some atheists are going to far.
He went too far? What? She decided to find god and wanted HIM to change to fit her beliefs. My gf is a Christian and I am an atheist but she dosen't want to change me. If she couldn't accept him the way he was then he had every right to break up with her.
>Implying you have a girlfriend
>What are you trying to do replace me?

ANYWAYS ON TO A MORE SERIOUS NOTE!
Religion should NEVER separate a couple, Ever. It's like separating due to someone liking another kind of cheese you don't like, which is very bad example but IDGAF. I'm just here to say that.

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »
Why does a general statement have to be made about whether or not it works? I could never date someone who was religious personally but I know plenty of atheists who have had or currently have religious girlfriends.
"In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars and sought to better themselves for the good of all. But we are much wiser now."

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:32 AM »
ANYWAYS ON TO A MORE SERIOUS NOTE!
Religion should NEVER separate a couple, Ever. It's like separating due to someone liking another kind of cheese you don't like, which is very bad example but IDGAF. I'm just here to say that.

The religion itself should never come between them, however, actions based upon that religion are that individuals own choice. I couldn't care less about what religion anyone associates with, it's how they present themselves as a person. Basically, I look at this question:
"If your god told you to kill me, would you?"

If the answer is "yes", it won't work out. Why? Because I can't trust a person who could one day think they heard a voice in their head to kill someone or harm themself, that type of person needs mental help, badly.

Of course, it's never a clear line. What I think you should do is look at the person, who they are, what their morals are. Not at what they call themselves.

Offline ???????£??Rose Nocturna???

• Kitsune Developer
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 01:10:07 AM »
Meh, I am a Wiccan, but my basic morals are still the same as most people.  I don't believe in other people's god(s), but I respect that others have their own beliefs.  I wish most people were like this, maybe there would be a lot less violence in the world.

Offline GeneralTrivium

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »
Best bet is to follow this:

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 10:41:56 AM »
Best bet is to follow this:

Might wanna check out something called Humanism. It's basically these principles, but it needs to really pick up support from people.

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »
TL;DR all of that bs

I'm Catholic and I would never force my religious beliefs upon my girl-friend, whom is Jewish. Those whom do force their beliefs upon other people ARE going to hell.

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
How many more threads have to be made before we can realize that making a thread about religion is a terrible idea.

There are no exceptions.

People are always going to have different opinions and If we don't follow their opinions and religious beliefs then somebody is going to end up starting a flame war.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
TL;DR all of that bs

I'm Catholic and I would never force my religious beliefs upon my girl-friend, whom is Jewish. Those whom do force their beliefs upon other people ARE going to hell.
The fact you have a girlfriend appalls me Good for you?
This is why religion is bad.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 08:18:55 PM »
TL;DR all of that bs

The fact you have a girlfriend appalls me Good for you?
This is why religion is bad.

Religion gives hope. Many people are just to ignorant to have a religion, if it may be Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jewish, Christian, or any other religion.

I myself, is a Christian, but I don't understand why people wouldn't want hope in their life. If it is Jesus Christ, Allah, Buddha, or any other god.

Then people think religion is stupid ect. What proof do you have that there isn't a god? It can be any god, but what proof is there that there isn't one? It makes you think...
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
What proof that there is one? Please do not make me argue with you over religion or I will pee out of my asshole and shit out of my dick.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »
What proof that there is one? Please do not make me argue with you over religion or I will pee out of my asshole and shit out of my dick.

24 hour forum ban issued. You had the chance to read the rules when you were warned by Wakeboarder in your post: http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=12579.msg93742#msg93742
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:52:39 PM by JiggerFrizz »
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »
Le'sigh, if I am about to type out a paragraph worths of my opinion only for you to only be trolling, I will find you, and I will poop in your ear.

Religion, Religion is a form of control for society, created in the dark ages as a way for people to believe there is hope. A false sense of hope for people who believed that if they where to repent and believe that their troubles would go away. This, turned out to somewhat be true, as people began to educate themselves but in the wrong ways, they began to learn about the false gods. Of course, before the dark ages there was indeed the Greek/Roman Gods but those where for nature and other things which is fine, because it is not saying that some unnamed god created the world because he deemed it fit to do so and sends his son to die on a cross. Then there is of course just the fact its complete rubbish. Hold your hands together, and whisper to yourself what you wish for, it may or may not come true. Well fuck, of course it may or may not come true, but they say if you repent for your sins it will be of a higher chance. No that's dumb. It's stupid. There is no possible evidence suggesting that there is a god, but there is evidence supporting that the theories of religion are false. Scientific evidence denying that god created everything on earth, it's called Evolution. /rant /rant /rant /rant /rant /rant /rant

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »
Normally, I would lock this thread because I can see it turning into a flame war, but I love religious debates, they're funny.

Continue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal