Author Topic: Religion and Relationships  (Read 20962 times)

Offline GeneralTrivium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Religion and Relationships
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2012, 04:08:14 AM »
It's not about possibility it's about knowledge, you can say with confidence that you know that if you step out of your second floor window that you'll fall and damage yourself.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
Indeed, IMO I think the idea of a God isn't logical and so I am an athiest, but no matter how hard I try it will always be "possible" that there is a God somehow, even if it is unlikely (imo)
OCRP IC name: Rudy Smith

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2012, 07:33:46 AM »
Indeed, IMO I think the idea of a God isn't logical and so I am an athiest, but no matter how hard I try it will always be "possible" that there is a God somehow, even if it is unlikely (imo)

Richard Dawkins in his book, "The God Delusion" he describes what he calls the Spectrum of Theistic Probability which will describe a person and their beliefs toward a god.

He, and I for that matter, describes himself as a level "6.9" because he's almost certain that there is no god, however, as new evidence shows up, there's always that chance. However, in the event that evidence of a god was found and proven, it ceases to be a religion and becomes science.

You would probably fit right in that category as well. Anyone who considers them self a 7 is almost as closed minded as a level 1 theist. You have to look at it this way;
you can be certain you did the math problem right, but there's always a margin of error, be it large or small.

Also, one more thing, in a thread such as this, you don't need to label everything you say with "in my opinion". Of course it's your opinion, that's the point of the thread.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:36:20 AM by Somone77 »

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2012, 08:08:33 AM »
Funny you should say how if God were proven then it would become a science because many Christians do that, but the other way round. Lots of Christians say that St Thomas Aquinas first cause argument can be used to say that God created the big bang and then evolution etc.

Unfortunately though the first cause argument is pretty strong, it’s hard to comprehend at this point how the universe and all of existence could have come about without some kind of divine creator. It's the only religious argument that stumps me :P

Otherwise you summed up what I was trying to say quite well; still I am not much of a Richard Dawkins fan. I always see him portrayed as somewhat of an "extremist atheist" in the sense that he has an “I’m right and your wrong attitude”. But on the other hand I haven’t read all of the God delusion and as a Scientist he is very good.
OCRP IC name: Rudy Smith

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal