Author Topic: Administration standards in the new server  (Read 13243 times)

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Administration standards in the new server
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 03:05:05 AM »
im having jellyfish flashbacks

ok, the deal with administration is to remember that Gmod is a game and therefore a thing you play for fun, not something you go on to fulfill some bullshit sense of 'duty' by being piled with 20 rules and constant monitoring

rules are good but we actually might end up look like a bunch of sad-os if we go around mainaining the old standards. that shit was like a shitty game of thrones; everyone hated eachother and nobody risked enjoying themselves too much

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 04:56:55 AM »
@dalboy

hence the title serious rp, I like the tension, it makes it p immersive

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
I'm not saying that the administration needs to just completely step away and not do anything, because that would be just stupid. I'm saying that the administration needs to take a few steps back, is all. My examples were a bit extreme and biased in most cases (like the 45 minute thing, that was usually when ota was involved so that was pretty much players yeah), but they still hold some valid ground. I mean, I know you guys have the best interest of the players in mind when you're stepping in and all, but if you keep doing that whenever something goes 'wrong', roleplay isn't going to develop naturally at all. It's just going to keep being a construct of what's been 'changed or fixed' in a sense.

One example of this I found was the administrative restriction on D2/P3/the different names its been called for units. I always was given the impression, and even told on different occasions, that entering there as a unit was seen as breaking a physical rule, and you'd be confronted by the admins by it. Okay, so in that case, what's the point of the CCA having policies on it? I mean, if there's going to be so many cases where the administration steps in to solve problems, why do these different IC factions have rules on these, yet don't get to interact with the character in a 'natural' fashion?

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »
We just need to pick admins wisely. And yeah i agree admins need to take a step back. But if you're going to burn down a building, especially a major one, make sure administration is ok with it and that you have a plan to rebuild it by the end of the week (as admins we have to have a cleanup plan within a few days if we do a destruction event)

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:59 AM »
I found was the administrative restriction on D2/P3/the different names its been called for units. I always was given the impression, and even told on different occasions, that entering there as a unit was seen as breaking a physical rule, and you'd be confronted by the admins by it.

while i wouldnt phys gun someone away my imeddiate reaction would be to investigate because most units dont just stroll there, i get it, i get people would do it IC eventually, but that also lights up a huge flag in my mind that someones gonna try and do either legit rp or just flat out rdm you then there's one gun in p2 we dont know about plus any other supplys on you, etc etcccc

i dont think any of us would have stopped it but it IS something that flags up in our minds just because there are pretty much always minges or people who might try their chance at something dumb

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 07:06:57 PM »
i had an admin threaten to ban me for wanting to lead an ic coup in the cca

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 04:04:04 AM »
The problem with admining something such as hl2rp is a lot of the situations you get are case dependant so always require some amount of time talking to find out any underlying reasons/info

but yeah, some of the problems i saw admins getting into could be ic solved, its just due to how some people are on the server admins would normally have to go on the side of caution in case rules ended up being broken etc etc
what

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »
But I'm saying, don't do stuff to prevent rules that MIGHT be broken. An admin should step in if bad things happen, but I'd appreciate if there was less preventing of roleplay simply because theres a possibility rules could end up being broken. I mean technically, there's a possibility to break rules in any situation.

Current Characters:

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
But I'm saying, don't do stuff to prevent rules that MIGHT be broken. An admin should step in if bad things happen, but I'd appreciate if there was less preventing of roleplay simply because theres a possibility rules could end up being broken. I mean technically, there's a possibility to break rules in any situation.

Basically what you are saying, which I agree on is the following example (which someone used earlier in this thread):

Say, a unit walks into D2/P6/Whatever. Admins shouldn't just stop him right there even though it might be against the rules. You never know if he enters that place with permission. Just have a very close eye on him IF something bad happens. Such as he RDMing people in D2/P6, or him getting RDMed by anyone else for his loot, etc etc. But as long as these things ain't happen, then let the CCA deal with the situation ICly.

So, when you see something happen, watch it closely so you can jump in the moment something bad happens. But stay out of it if it could be solved ICly.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »
thats perfectly fine and nickneros idea is valid, but you cant always just look at it as 'walking into restricted zone', he might be metagaming something etc etc
what

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »
thats perfectly fine and nickneros idea is valid, but you cant always just look at it as 'walking into restricted zone', he might be metagaming something etc etc

then deal with it AFTER the fact imo

admins should not be preventing roleplay because they have a suspicion something bad COULD happen. obviously if someone starts propkilling or rdming, then an admin stepping in is fine. But that whole idea is like me being a cop and saying, "oh, i think that this guy could possibly go steal this person's purse, so i better just arrest him now so that doesnt happen".

if an admin has reasonable reason to suspect that a bad thing is going to go down, then yes, follow them, talk to them, etc. But please don't have this whole mentality that you're going to just put a barrier on certain things because of a potential for bad things to happen. And besides, units got propkilled pretty frequently in D1, so should we stop them from going there lol? It's really not difficult to check logs to make sure that the correct people get punished/refunded/etc

Current Characters:

Former HL2RP-Characters:

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 06:47:28 PM »
i think the lines of "ic is ic" is pretty much the relevant tl;dr of this thread

administration shouldn't be involved in something unless actual server rules are broken

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »
i think the lines of "ic is ic" is pretty much the relevant tl;dr of this thread

administration shouldn't be involved in something unless actual server rules are broken

but admins often linger on the edge of involvement because rules can be broken very easily in certain situations

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »
but admins often linger on the edge of involvement because rules can be broken very easily in certain situations

ok let's say a unit goes rogue because his best friend who was also a unit was shot in the face by his superiors for accepting bribes

rather than administration flying in and physgunning the unit who's about to walk into d6 because he doesn't have adequate authorisations for going rogue they should just ~observe~ the roleplay and see how it unfolds and provided the unit doesn't take out a gun and start rdm'ing people without rp i don't see why they need to be involved

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »

ok let's say a unit goes rogue because his best friend who was also a unit was shot in the face by his superiors for accepting bribes

rather than administration flying in and physgunning the unit who's about to walk into d6 because he doesn't have adequate authorisations for going rogue they should just ~observe~ the roleplay and see how it unfolds and provided the unit doesn't take out a gun and start rdm'ing people without rp i don't see why they need to be involved

rogue units should require auths and even then should be very strict, we shouldnt just allow it and see what happens

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal