Author Topic: Administration standards in the new server  (Read 13276 times)

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Administration standards in the new server
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
Probably one of the biggest issues I had with the previous HL2RP server was the the administration basically had to stick their nose in everything that went on, and step in/said "this can't happen" with so much stuff. I mean, there were so many different issues that the administration would get involved in, and there would end up either being:

a) a big break in immersion
b) the possible voiding of the entire RP because they didn't like something that happened
c) a 45 minute debate in LOOC where people are waiting for nothing to happen

The administration on the server needs to take a big five steps back from things and not get involved unless there's REAL rulebreaking or a break in what's realistic roleplay. If a unit goes into a restricted area, don't be the retarded admin that comes and physguns them back into P1. let High Command deal with it, not admins. If someone walks into P1 with a gun and draws it, let CCA members deal with it, because thats their job, not an admins. And if someone is being a douchebag ICly, let them get what comes to them ICly; an admin doesn't have to intervene and mold the environment in the way they want to. People need to do that for themselves or there's going to be no enjoyment in the server.

discuss

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Administration standards in the new server
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:24:28 PM »
none of the things you listed in the last paragraph happened, i can't recall any time when an admin publicly fucked around in front of more than like 2/3 people, admins might break immersion or feel the need to discuss something in looc but there's usually a very good reason for it even if you don't know that reason

Offline jonco

• Original Gangster
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »
No. Do you think the admins just loved doing that? The only reason there was a "45 minute debate" was because the RPers would bitch about it. 90% of the time, the admins were right.

Also, we didn't void stuff because "we didn't like it". We did it because it was either against the rules, overpowered or something along those lines

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
Breaking immersion is kinda hard to avoid. Stuff like going into observer mid RP is annoying yeah, but it can be avoided. An admin could just excuse himself ICly saying he has to attend to something then just go to a un-populated area, and disappear into the mist of observer.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 02:38:04 PM »
Breaking immersion is kinda hard to avoid. Stuff like going into observer mid RP is annoying yeah, but it can be avoided. An admin could just excuse himself ICly saying he has to attend to something then just go to a un-populated area, and disappear into the mist of observer.

this is very true but a lot of the time you just gotta get there fast too

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »
I've always agreed with this. I fully support RP being minimally restricted by administration. If events transpire that don't play in the favor or one faction/person or another, take IC steps to turn the tide. Simple as that. Prime example? Outlands Dark Knights vs. White Knights. Yes, I am bringing this up again.

What happened? White Knights roamed about in distasteful masses constantly being the hero all the time. Hardly enough bandits and free for all behavior that one would expect in a place with no order. At no point was there OOC intervention from anyone to regulate this which was a blatant example of an unbalanced base. Thus the opposite came about with players whom were bent on doing bringing about more crime and free for all mentalities. Through IC means we went about picking off those who we deemed our enemies. Fully RP'd, fully legitimate and near hitch-less. But people didn't like it and methods of OOC intervention were proposed as well as hours and hours of argument for something that was done correctly.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline |T??G| Saimon-avatar

• OMG! Where have my 250 credits gone!?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »
Im not sure if I should post this here but... The server should also be a little less strict about the authorizations. I mean, you had to make an authorization for almost EVERYTHING. Its reasonable to ask for autorizations to stuff that are hard to get, but I mean... Back in the old days admins asked you authorizations for having anything! From a jacket that could warm up your character to simple sharp metals or shanks! I think that limits a lot of the RP that was created in the server...
I think that a player should save the logs of the RP he created for obtaining does items in case they need them to prove that infact, they did RPed obtaining those items instead of having to write a whole authorization application and waiting days to get accepted or denied, thats just delaying RP...
Ivan Gomez - Dead\\r\\nDaeny Morrison - Dead A great Heroin\\r\\nOscar Gomez- Alive \\r\\nJacques \\\'Fench\\\' Laux - Alive, just escaped from the Outlands\\r\\n\\r\\nDaeny Morrison: Treat people as you would like to be treated. Never hurt the innocents.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
I think that a player should save the logs of the RP he created for obtaining does items in case they need them to prove that infact, they did RPed obtaining those items instead of having to write a whole authorization application and waiting days to get accepted or denied, thats just delaying RP...

the thing is both sides can be argued, where do you find a jacket? jackets dont just appear out of no where, nothing does, in a true hl2rp there would be nothing but basic units and citizens who have next to nothing, obviously that'd be boring but there still needs to be a good reason for people to find stuff, if admins let anyone have stuff and we just trusted them then think how many people will abuse it in turn, admins do limit stuff in a strict way because it has to be done else people will find ways to abuse it

you could then argue "well admins can just find the abusers instead of limiting everyone" but that arguments applies generically to everything, why don't we just spawn pistols and smgs around the map and "trust" players not too abuse them, for the start at least it should be hard and maybe if we can trust the majority of the playerbase then we can open up the stuff to need less apps and auths

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 04:36:56 PM »
my favourite bit is when i walked into a room and an admin looks at me and toggles observer to see my name

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »
The reason why administration was so strict was because if we didn't put a hold on most things, citizens would walk around with top tier armor and super leet master karate skills within a week.
Believe me... It may seem like we tried to screw you over, but it has good intentions. And it's for the best to keep everything fair and legit in the long run.

<::[[ Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2 ]]::>
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 12:32:58 AM »
The reason why administration was so strict was because if we didn't put a hold on most things, citizens would walk around with top tier armor and super leet master karate skills within a week.

coming from you

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Re: Administration standards in the new server
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 01:12:10 AM »

coming from you

Irony much?
Tell me where I had top tier armor and super leet master karate skills?

Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 01:28:12 AM »
jellyfish

also I'd post some examples from my experience but it's late and I'm sick and still have school so ya
Ps: it may or may not be an edit of this post 8)

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Re: Administration standards in the new server
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 01:45:10 AM »
jellyfish
Lol, she had no armor. Nor karate skills. The most she had was a basic SMG or something. But that is completely fine, right Raged? http://catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=27136.0

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 02:17:16 AM »
i was discussing more the whole ex-combine assassin ops training thing and how when i went to have you killed you had a sook

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal