Author Topic: Spam Archive  (Read 14639 times)

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Spam Archive
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 04:33:48 AM »
Well this idea got shot down very rapidly. Not really surprised as a lot of the old members that 'lived' on the spam boards are gone can't be here to support the idea. And then you have the members who where here when the board had first started and know how corrupted it became. All in all, this will probably be denied. Not bad idea of suggesting it, atleast we get what you were wanting out of it.

the only ones complaining are the ones who were "targeted" and "abused"

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 05:06:29 AM »
Spam was just an excuse to be a complete dick to each other and get away with it.
Why on earth would we want to open it up as a museum of dumb?
That would set a good example for the community: "Look over here how people treat each other on the forums!"
Yeaahhhno.
And even IF it would ever happen (which it won't) then none of the people wanting it open would get whitelisted anyway.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Sithis

• The Troll King
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
Why weren't more rules placed on the spam forums then?
To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 10:41:10 AM »

Because people couldn't understand what the "enter at your own risk" and what the "18 plus" meant. They come up with stupid excuses but at the end of the day, it's like walking into a strip club and expecting for their not to be any titties.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Re: Spam Archive
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »

Because people couldn't understand what the "enter at your own risk" and what the "18 plus" meant. They come up with stupid excuses but at the end of the day, it's like walking into a strip club and expecting for their not to be any titties.

Pretty sure it had a rule on flaming others though or at least shouldve, banter is ok but using spam to actually attack others wasn't

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Offline Sithis

• The Troll King
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »
If rules against flaming were in place, it should have been enforced better imo.
To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »
If rules against flaming were in place, it should have been enforced better imo.

I think there were different "versions" of spam. Some time it was and it wasn't. But no admin is going to enforce a rule that no one else enforces because then you'll get bitched at and whatnot. Like the rule with physguns on Hrp. I can't tell you how many times I warned people for keeping it out over and over, so eventually I kicked them because they wouldn't listen. Then I get bitched, even though it's in the rules. But that doesn't even matter, as we won't be able to post in it anyways, we can only view it. Make it so only a selected SAs can whitelist(a large part of the admin team didn't understand what enter at your own risk meant, they are hypocrites for the most part) and yea. If you got burnt a lot, you couldn't view it. Take away admin acess to it too so that way they can't bypass the whitelist, since MANY of them got burnt.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 08:56:53 PM »
The reason I bring up legal issues is because someone was bugging me on steam about another user in HRP who cyber bullied him into having an emergent anxiety attack (the ones that send you to the hospital). Whether this was true or not I dont know, but the stuff in spam can be used as evidence in a court case and I want to protect you guys as much as I want to help those in distress.

Offline ???????£??Rose Nocturna???

• Kitsune Developer
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 10:43:08 PM »
Honestly, I couldn't care. I know I was flamed a few times in there, but I kinda honestly wanna see what all was in there again.  Like a walk down memory lane, kinda. But thats me.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
I was an admin when Spam existed, and I don't remember getting burnt.  Reopening Spam as an unregulated board will only bring Hell.  Spam was never meant to be a place where people can burn other members, it was about having fun, joking around, and making sure EVERYONE had a good time.  Who exactly is having a good time?  EVERYONE.  Note the keyword.

Also, Statua is right about cyber bullying.  If someone calls a whistle blower group and tells them they've experienced harassment from this site in the form of the Spam board, a simple disclaimer is not going to stop them from pressing charges.  Before you can say, "I wouldn't be offended if someone roasted me", then consider that not as many people have the thick skin you have.  Some members of our community are very impressionable and WILL take Spam seriously, disclaimer or not.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
I was an admin when Spam existed, and I don't remember getting burnt.  Reopening Spam as an unregulated board will only bring Hell.  Spam was never meant to be a place where people can burn other members, it was about having fun, joking around, and making sure EVERYONE had a good time.  Who exactly is having a good time?  EVERYONE.  Note the keyword.

Also, Statua is right about cyber bullying.  If someone calls a whistle blower group and tells them they've experienced harassment from this site in the form of the Spam board, a simple disclaimer is not going to stop them from pressing charges.  Before you can say, "I wouldn't be offended if someone roasted me", then consider that not as many people have the thick skin you have.  Some members of our community are very impressionable and WILL take Spam seriously, disclaimer or not.

And that's why we would have whitelists to stop those people from viewing the board. Even some of the SA's so they can't complain (you know who you are, but I still love you  :-* )

The reason I bring up legal issues is because someone was bugging me on steam about another user in HRP who cyber bullied him into having an emergent anxiety attack (the ones that send you to the hospital). Whether this was true or not I dont know, but the stuff in spam can be used as evidence in a court case and I want to protect you guys as much as I want to help those in distress.

In all honesty the player just shouldn't be on the internet. If he actually has those attacks and he goes onto youtube and sees all the troll comments/posts/replies/whatever, then it would be a health risk to his/her own saftey. You should really tell them to just stop if the issue is that bad, for their health.

Unrelated to the thread but yea.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 11:34:37 PM »
How can you know who is fit and unfit to view a specific board?  Who will decide whether someone is unfit to view said board?  This whole idea sounds elistist and exclusive.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 11:42:48 PM »
Why should we tell people they arent allowed on the internet because they cant handle it? For some people its all they have for a social life (not speaking from experience lol) so how would that work out for them? Cow your idea is good, for those who somehow enjoyed grilling eachother, however please have some empathy and think about this for a bit. This isnt 4chan or any other drama shit site. Its CG which is a gaming community. We want people to stay here.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 11:45:38 PM »
How can you know who is fit and unfit to view a specific board?  Who will decide whether someone is unfit to view said board?  This whole idea sounds elistist and exclusive.

It's pretty obvious to know who got burnt in spam. Have like one admin/sa who didn't get burnt and someone who is unbiased to go through the whitelist. Just make it so you can't apply if you weren't around during the spam days (to reduce the amount of people requesting whitelist, they have no need to see it since they'd have no memories from it) you were auto denied. And it should be exclusive, since only certain people can view it.

Why should we tell people they arent allowed on the internet because they cant handle it? For some people its all they have for a social life (not speaking from experience lol) so how would that work out for them? Cow your idea is good, for those who somehow enjoyed grilling eachother, however please have some empathy and think about this for a bit. This isnt 4chan or any other drama shit site. Its CG which is a gaming community. We want people to stay here.

No I am saying for him not to play video games and whatnot because it's bad for your health. Think of it like some guy has lung cancer and I tell him to stop smoking. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying if you get anxiety attacks easily where you have to go to the hospital, something like the internet wouldn't be safe for your health.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 12:27:55 AM »
The anxiety thing is a whole different story. I'm talking about the people who have a hard time with socializing IRL but have friends online who give them that social fix. Whether you want to believe it or not, the online world is considered a social atmosphere. It may be different then IRL socializing but hey, if society could understand that different doesn't mean bad then we wouldn't have these problems.

Lets take 2 people for example. John and Jane:

John has no friends at school because he has a speech impediment. Why? because society is an asshole. However, he has made friends online through IRC. Though people at school are assholes to him, when he goes home, he is happy to chat with his pals and shoot some noobs in BF3.

Jane also has no friends at school. She has an issue with her metabolism and depression just makes her eat more. Again, society is an asshole IRL. However, unlike John, Jane's parents dont think the internet is healthy and refuse to let her use it. Instead she sits alone in her room day after day reading goosebumps and falling deeper into the well of depression.

The moral of these 2 scenarios is this. The internet is a new social environment that gives people a second chance to live happy lives. We have rules about flaming and other forms of cyber hate and try to enforce them whenever possible. We have a suitable atmosphere for these second chancers. Why would we want to destroy it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal