Author Topic: Epidemic Role Play  (Read 30006 times)

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Epidemic Role Play
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »
(Reposting this out of my reluctance to bump my old thread. I truly think this would be super amazing and fun and the new, fresh theme would compensate for the stale, over done HL2rp environment. Not only that, but being as we would be the only, and I mean ONLY community hosting this, we would likely get much more population flow from all the RPers who are tired of the same old, same old. However, I will note, the content in this thread is out dated due to it being made for Gmod12. I am no coder, but I think with a little work the Gmod 12 code can be fixed up for Gmod13 OR we would maybe try and get in touch with the creator of the script - Rick Dark and have him fix it up for us?? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR we can try and re-create it on ClockWork if that's an option???

** For the record, I am not suggesting to have this replace HL2rp!)

This suggestion was already essentially brought up by SirTai in his thread about Zombie Roleplay but then again for the sake of necro posting and creating a more descriptive post I am making this. Yes, people, zombie roleplay. However, I'm not talking something like one of the comment on that post said:

It must be a SERIOUS rp server. No dark rp just kill zombies all day.

And not run under the shitty OA script or anything but rather, the script of an old gamemode which was by far, in my opinion the best gamemode ever made hosted by an old community called Necropolis RP which consequently is now dead. I realize this script will be broken in Gmod13 but then again, this is more a suggesting as far as "if it were to be done" kind of thing. That being said, the gamemode was called Epidemic(I think this is the script here: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=82350). The map they ran if I am not mistaken was a scary night version of downtown: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=87574 and they had their own custom thing of canon. I managed to find an old detailed facepunch thread by one of the original owners. http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=876675

That being said, it's basically a zombie survival gamemode consisting of four factions.

1. The Red Dawn (or something of that nature, it's been a few years)

This was essentially a bandit group that was infamous for mugging/killing people (within reason) and they often held events such as cage matches and zombie pit fights for supply rewards such as food, weapons, tools, etc. Joining among them was usually difficult and they were pretty much rolling stones so they were hard to find.

2. The Military

This faction was the remnants of military survivors who still kept to their directives and still worked to keep the public safe to some degree. They were usually all armed and held up in for the most part secure locations as survivor safe houses and such.

3. The Refugee

These were basically your apocalyptic equivalent to HL2rp citizens. Normal people who happened to survive the Epidemic and were trying to survive by any means, either by military, red dawn or themselves.

4. The Infected

This is where things got interesting. These were infected citizens that essentially turned into zombies and in special cases, were largely based of left 4 dead.  There were zombies with witch skins which were very dangerous, there were zombies with the hunter model which were also dangerous however, the more powerful zombies were trusted to the more trusted role players similar to how our HL2rp hierarchy works. However, there were simple normal zombies that had a skin that wasn't the HL2 zombie model but actually a custom model that looked like a bloodied up citizen and at a certain distance could be confused as a live player. There was one point that I recall where I was with a friend and we called up an elevator and there was a player who had a Tank model. I kinda pissed myself a little, but s'all good. However, there is a catch. If I recall correctly, the zombies did tend to stay within the confines of the subway and underground. The subway was a lot like the HL2rp Nexus. A kill in there was a PK.

I can give multiple situations I had with a friend of mine on that server and by far, they were the best. I think that CG can replicate and maybe even make that experience better. It's something different and would be enjoyable for everyone. Again, I am fully aware of it breaking in Gmod13, however if it could be fixed I think it would be amazing to have and bring in more members. That's just my thoughts anyhow.

Please enjoy these videos and pictures of past game play.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8OK_BOLcFM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8OK_BOLcFM</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiygWzs6ypc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiygWzs6ypc</a>

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:43:16 PM by Sexy Frog »

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline Mr. Pettit

Re: Epidemic Role Play
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:16:42 AM »
If it is possible to pull this off, yes. I think we're capable of making a post apoc rp that can be different and interesting if effort is put into it. Most of the OA Severance/Post Apoc rp servers were dull and you had to apply for factions or get a weapon. If there was freedom with this, like being able to find melee weapons like knives and bats, maybe purchasing weapons from traders or designated players that applied it would work. Which brings me to another point. Maybe the traditional app system could work with this is we ever do this - Not sure though. Along with that it would be nice to have some sort of Combine-like faction. Like a military remnants, police remnants or something like in Severance/Left 4 Dead with CEDA that kind of keep peace in an area like a building so those who are unarmed etc. have a chance to live rather than run around being killed by zombies.

All in all, I think it would be a nice change to HL2RP. I've always enjoyed Severance when I used to play it before it completely died off in Gmod 12 and I think it can hold interest and playerbase.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:21:17 AM by Mr. Pettit »

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:30:40 AM »
That's the magic of it! There are actual melee weapon sweps like axes and bats and stuff! That's how it was on the Epidemic server that I played on anyways. There were traders and all that jazz that would collect and sell both weapons (melee and firearms) as well as ammo and food! And food was a must as I believe it healed you though my memory may be foggy.

That aside I believe the Military faction would be more OTA like in how they'd be used, as they would be better supplied and it'd make them OP. However we could adopt official factions for this like Red Dawn and any other white knight like group ooooor we can keep it how we have Outlands and make it player made factions for shiggles. I for one prefer player  made factions.

>I'll never forget...

Offline shrimp

• The ONLY Ninja
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:34:21 AM »
I would thoroughly enjoy this type of server, it has the freedom I wish OL was capable of.
A real human beeeeeiiinnnggg.

Offline hogs

• [LOOC] Shane West: cash first.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:40:11 AM »
We have to be realistic and cautious about things like these. It takes a lot of work to set up and we certainly don't have the player-base to pull off zombie survival RP successfully.

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:45:08 AM »
It takes work to set up, but it's nothing too hard to do if we have cooperation. We have a suitable player base that could sustain a 20+ server for something like this. Though I'm mostly thinking of the future. The different atmosphere and type from the usual HL2 rp or STALKER rp or Metro2033 rp would undoubtedly attract players. It would just count upon limiting DL size a bit. A bunch of DLs aren't all that attractive, so it should be kept essentially vanilla aside from needed content. Which is another reason to run it on ClockWork since everyone has it downloaded.

>I'll never forget...

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:03:39 AM »
To be honest, most communities with custom stuff like hgn or tnb with stalkerrp or whatever other communities, they're content packs are over 1gb, so even keeping a few maps and a bunch of model packs can keep it at 200mb which is neither here or there to be honest.

Do want this
what

Offline kronik

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Lottery Winner [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 02:24:02 PM »
I think it looks pretty fun. It would be a pretty big project, so we'd have to think about it for a while before deciding whether we want it or not. I've always liked the thought of CG hosting a post apocalyptic type server.

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »
We could sure use it. HL2RP has seen better days in terms of population, not to mention we hardly get any new blood in it with all the other servers out there that are mostly always populated.
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »
Call me a pessimist but I can see this thing being big on the first week, handled poorly then we loose the population in a month or two. I never really liked epidemic rp much.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
If it's shown enough TLC as we have to HL2rp then that shouldn't happen. And it is a given that it shouldn't be half assed and then released just to say we have it up and then go patching it months down the line. I see no reason for it to die so quickly, I mean if you advertise it nicely like on FacePunch and other places where it is allowed, people will come to check it out. That's a fact. Hell, maybe we'll even get some people who used to be from Necropolis Roleplay to come over for this game mode! And mind you, our current player base are no Freeman Gamers, we actually know how to RP so it can't be that bad.

It'll almost be like Outlands, except in a cityscape that is dark and there would actually be much more RP opportunities that isn't just limited to passive when OTA or event mobs come about since zombie players would be a free faction yo interact with the Survivors. Just think Outlands 2.0 really.

>I'll never forget...

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
I don't want to sacrifice HL2RP for this. It really doesn't seem like a good idea to throw it all away for.

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Developer
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »
I don't want to sacrifice HL2RP for this. It really doesn't seem like a good idea to throw it all away for.
HL2RP is an outdated, poorly designed, inherently flawed piece of crap, with nearly zero players outside of a scant dedicated player base. If you really stay here for HL2RP, I don't see why. There are a lot of other communities running much more successful HL2RP servers. I'm not saying that we should dump the gamemode, but it's worth our effort to put our focus on unique gamemodes, not trying to do something that others already do (currently) much more successfully than we do.

As for this project, I think it sounds like a great idea, but also a grand endeavor. I am willing to dedicate myself to this project entirely in whatever manner you may want me to.
Live free or die

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »
HL2RP is an outdated, poorly designed, inherently flawed piece of crap, with nearly zero players outside of a scant dedicated player base. If you really stay here for HL2RP, I don't see why. There are a lot of other communities running much more successful HL2RP servers. I'm not saying that we should dump the gamemode, but it's worth our effort to put our focus on unique gamemodes, not trying to do something that others already do (currently) much more successfully than we do.

oh my

look at all this opinion

if you ask why i play here then let me tell you this: I enjoy roleplaying with the members of CG more than any other community I've been a part of (and I've tried LOTS of places in my time on Gmod, the current popular ones included and I still prefer CG), feel free to lecture me on how terrible HL2RP is to you but don't go back on your word if this happens and fails

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 04:14:46 PM »

oh my

look at all this opinion

if you ask why i play here then let me tell you this: I enjoy roleplaying with the members of CG more than any other community I've been a part of (and I've tried LOTS of places in my time on Gmod, the current popular ones included and I still prefer CG), feel free to lecture me on how terrible HL2RP is to you but don't go back on your word if this happens and fails

Now now my pretties, don't fight. This is a simple discussion.

Allow me to pour some cool water on this.

Nobody is saying to throw HL2rp away for this, if anything, I am suggesting this in as another form of inherently helping out with HL2rp in a sense. I would never suggest to 'throw it all away' for this but I am simply saying that this is a perfect opportunity to inject a little bit of something different into what we already have. And thus because of this, it has a nice chance to rake in more players towards CG. They come on our forums after signing up when joining the server and then they see, "Oh, well look, they have HL2rp servers too? If it's anything like this, then I'll try it out!"

They come on, they see that City or Outlands isn't like the other communities that are all populated because guns are easy to get, or its a roll server or IC applications but because the people who are actually in the server don't suck bloody ass hole with /me's that are about 3 words long.

However, I would like to protest to Ricky. HL2rp does have its flaws however it is not a piece of crap in any way. It's still fun and still very much alive. The reason dallas stays and by extention why I or any of the members of CG stay in CG and not move off to other places is because (and I am being quite series, not being biased at all as I have explored outside the boundaries of CG in search of nice communities) is that EVERY other community is horrible. They are either roll servers, pay to win, have horrible failRPing/powergaming/metagaming playerbases, or are run by retards who only started their community by stealing their mothers credit cards from her purse in order to have an excuse to be SeC because they were unable to earn it in their previous communities.

The reason other communities are more populated than us isn't because they're better. It's because guns are so easy to get and being a lolwebul is as easy as getting a ration.

> Wander into P3
> Find gun on floor
> ???
> Profit

>I'll never forget...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal