Author Topic: More servers.  (Read 16605 times)

Offline kronik

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Lottery Winner [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
More servers.
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »
Throughout all the time I've spent at CG, we've pretty much always had the same servers; there hasn't been much change.  I'd suggest this directly to Rofl; however I'd like to see what other people have to say about this.  CG's population is definitely pretty damn big, but we used to rise each day way more then we do now.  I personally think that having more servers would fix this.

What will more servers bring us?
     First of all, more players.  Having more players brings in more donations, having more donations means a longer lasting CG.  Now don't get me wrong, donations don't really matter here as we already get enough to keep us going; I was merely stating the fact (plus I know Rofl loves his donations).  People who play the new servers might eventually check out the site and some of our other servers, meaning not only will we have more players just for those servers, but they will also begin to populate our current servers even more.

I have to admit, role-play gets pretty boring after a while, and although they are not the only servers we host, the community is pretty much based around them.

Some servers/gamemodes I would suggest would be:
-Stranded.  It may get boring after a while of playing, but what doesn't?
-TTT, I know we have one, but lets get it fixed and running again. 
-Flood, this I'm not too sure about; however I do think that in time it could turn out to be nice and bring in some more players.

That's pretty much all I can think about for now, but as stated above I really think adding a couple, or even one of these would be really good for the community.  At LEAST fix the TTT server, I'm pretty sure many people here at CG enjoyed playing that.

Feel free to suggest some more gamemodes in this topic, I'd like to see what people enjoy playing these days.

Offline Crap-Head

• #OCRP2
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: More servers.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:56:26 AM »
Stranded: Will die out in maximum a month.
TTT: Will die out in amximum a week.
Flood: Will die out when 10 players has all weapons and 300k (max a month).

Not worth the effort and to keep them alive they need to be developed. Theres only me and Tom to develop for 4 servers already.

None of this would really work out in the long run.
Please do not add me on Steam because you have in-game problems. Make a thread in the correct board on the forum and i will respond to that whenever i have time.

Offline kronik

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Lottery Winner [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
I guess you're right about developers, but I really don't think they'd die that fast.  Anyways, I should have though of the fact that we only have you two developing servers.

Offline Globey

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »
I know a person who developed his own custom flood GM - He said I could have it, if I were ever interested. I could go and request the script.
C45.CCA.GRID-DvL.604 - Healthy - Executing citizens. Tally: 4
John Gatsby - Healthy - Celebrating, having detonated an explosive melon in front of two CA's

--------------------------
Cutlass, Sail and Cannon:
Ernest Cumberbatch, Port Royal, Governor. Governing.
John Gatsby, of the brigantine Brimstone. Amputating Limbs

Offline cfitz22

• autism simulator 2013
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »
How about deathrun? It's a great gamemode that doesn't really die out. Or surf? Lots of people like those.
Don't make fun of me just because I say i'm stressed... I'm a person too.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »
How about deathrun? It's a great gamemode that doesn't really die out. Or surf? Lots of people like those.

I can't tell if you're making a subtle joke at crap-heads "own" version of deathrun or not

I'd like a surf server, I enjoy surf a lot, Sandbox and TTT for gmod too

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
They had an empty sandbox, barely anyone joined.
As for Surf and TTT I would enjoy those too, though Surf starts to bore when you know how to do all maps.

The thing Catalyst Gaming needs is something unique, there's loads of sandbox servers..

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 10:07:14 AM »
As for Surf and TTT I would enjoy those too, though Surf starts to bore when you know how to do all maps.

The thing Catalyst Gaming needs is something unique, there's loads of sandbox servers..
I would have played on he sandbox server if they actually took my suggestions and put them on the server. Like i dunno, wenlis tool, multi parent, GDC, combat protection... Or how about some maps that dont suck like Freespace or a Nodex map? None of these big fancy maps like multistruct or mobenix where its more playing with the map then building stuff.

Here's the problem. CG is lazy. They half-ass all their damn servers. Look at spacebuild. Woot we got SB up but there are some bugs and a fair amount of tools NEED to be added but guess what? CG's devs never fixed them or added the tools so it died.

Find devs who are actually interested in working on all servers in a timely mannar, not devs who are focused on a single gamemode leaving the rest out to dry.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »

I would have played on he sandbox server if they actually took my suggestions and put them on the server. Like i dunno, wenlis tool, multi parent, GDC, combat protection... Or how about some maps that dont suck like Freespace or a Nodex map? None of these big fancy maps like multistruct or mobenix where its more playing with the map then building stuff.

Here's the problem. CG is lazy. They half-ass all their damn servers. Look at spacebuild. Woot we got SB up but there are some bugs and a fair amount of tools NEED to be added but guess what? CG's devs never fixed them or added the tools so it died.

Find devs who are actually interested in working on all servers in a timely mannar, not devs who are focused on a single gamemode leaving the rest out to dry.
for once I agree with you, someone said TTT is broke even though now it's included with/along side Fretta in every gmod installation, so uhm...

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »

Before you're able to create things you need to know how it can fit together, which is time taking and annoying.
For example a simple puzzle, you look at the cover and don't mindlessly put pieces together hoping it'll work.

Offline TOMASAS

• da best xd
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »

Because it's a waste of time and most of the time when we do put one up and work on some new servers they die within a week to a month. Stop asking for servers if you're not even gonna play them in the long run.

You people don't know what you want yourselves.
Stop assuming things.

bitcoin: 1Fq4EFYLwvktC3uKM6d6qu8irSwepqigAX

Offline SirTai

• *~(Jason Brody Wannabe)~*
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
I think what we need is to broaden our playerbase on the existing servers, and the most effective way of doing so is advertising. CG has nice servers, good developers, good admins and SA's. All we need to do is advert that, and get people to know CG, donate more, so we can get more CG-like servers, like the v33x Semi-Serious OCRP, back up and with a good playerbase.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
For a serious OCRP to work the current script, as if it wasn't bad enough before, won't work, so there would have to be a new script developed or the current OCRP heavily edited, and as discussed above... yeah

Offline FanaticWarren

• ElitistFag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
For a serious OCRP to work the current script, as if it wasn't bad enough before, won't work, so there would have to be a new script developed or the current OCRP heavily edited, and as discussed above... yeah

Serious OCRP wouldn't work, not because of the script, but because the player base from the current ocrp would go there and just fail the same amount they do on the lite. They tried a Semi-Serious OCRP and it didn't last long for the exact reason.

System Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor @ 4.6 ghz
RAM: AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
PSU: Ultra X4 750W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked + PNY GTX 550 TI for physx core

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »