Author Topic: Basic Roleplay Guide.  (Read 7614 times)

Slicks

Basic Roleplay Guide.
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »
Did this help you?
Thank me

A basic roleplay guide for

I will have a word about:

I | HL2RP basics.
II | How to perform outstanding actions. (/me command and /it command)
III| How does the roll system work? (/roll command)
IV | How to use the chat properly. (IC, OOC and LOOC)

My goal is not to make a huge to-do list, but to make a short introduction of the basic commands and the basics of roleplay.

I, HL2RP basics.

The server is set in the HL2 universe. The Combine have taken over earth in 7 hours. They are a superior race with more technology than the humans.
There are no more “Cops”, the guys you see with metal masks and a uniform are Civil-Protection Officers who are human but have decided to join the Combine forces. Some Combine humans, such as the Over Watch, have had various brain washings and organ transplants.
The Combine enforces Civil Law Codes and detains citizens who act rebellious. The Combine are not your friend so don’t run up to them saying “Can I have a hug?”, the Combine Unit will probably just beat you.

1. Who am I in this universe? The basics.

At the start, you are a citizen in a City. The Combine controls you and beats you at every step in the wrong direction. First, you will do passive RP, talking to people, interacting with objects and get your rations (1A).

As a human, you have several basic needs, most important are:
Food (1B)
Drinks (1C)
Sleep (1D)

Even though you do not have to eat/drink/sleep, it doesn't mean your character doesn't need it.

1A, rations

Rations are packets filled with goodies which everything citizens want. Rations will be distributed every 2 hours (In-game time) if the required resources are met.

A ration contains:
Some tokens (The HL2RP currency)
Citizen Supplements (Food)
Breen's Water (Drink)

Before entering rations you are asked to apply, this means you have to give your name and CID, your Citizen ID is in your F1-menu.

1B/1C, foods and drinks

The Combine have banned all foods and drinks that wasn't issued by them. So the only legal food and drinks are the one you gain from Combine resources. (Ration dispenser/Breen's water vending machine/CWU shop/Personal shop)
The water contains brain-washing content, making you forget.

1D, sleep

This actually requires no explanation, I hope. There are enough appartments in the City and they contain a bed. You roleplay sleep by lying on the bed with the /charfallover command.

2. Roleplaying as a citizen.

At the beginning this seems harder than it is, but do not fear, the guide is here.
You're a citizen in the HL2 universe, your main goal is to make a living under the opression of the Combine. You can be neutral, meaning you just follow their rules and try to survive, you can be an anti-citizen(2A) or a loyalist(2B).
Meaning you can just follow the rules, make it hard for the Combine or make those rules your life.

2A, anti-citizens

An anti-citizen is against the combine rules and laws. He is to be arrested on sight and catching/reporting an anti-citizen will give you a ration reward. The anti-citizen can be part of the Resistance, but can also be on himself.

2B, loyalists

Loyalist live by the combine rules, they never do anything wrong and report every rulebreaking they see. Yet they don't join the Resistance as infiltrator, they would be too scared of the Combine labeling them as rebel too.
Their main goal is to be safe and get the best treatment from the Combine.

3. Combine roleplay.

The Combine have the role of punishing anti-civil behaviour, to join the combine you first must be a well-know good RPer and then make an application on the forum. The commanders decide if you're fit for Combine.
If so, you will get a whitelist and you'll be able to play a Combine faction character.

3A, the Combine ranks (From low to high)
RCT (Recruit)
05-01 (Ground units)
OfC (Field officer)
EpU (Elite Protection Unit)
DvL (Divsion Leader)
SeC (Sector Commander)

3B, divisions
SHIELD - Medic division
SPEAR - Patrol and breaching division
JUDGE - Division that takes care of anti-citizens
GRID - Divsion that guards/clamps (check)points

4. Resistance roleplay
Not much is known about the Resistance, they are lead by a chosen leader and people will be recruited in-game. They give citizens normal food and plan co-ordinated attacks
And people can make there own rebellion group.

II, How to perform outstanding actions? The /me command.

Every interaction and outstanding action should be represented by a /me command.

For example: I want to pick up a can and put in the trashcan.
I will type this: /me picks up the can and puts it in the trashcan.

Some actions which use /me must be used together with /roll, this will be explained later.

The /me command is simple, you should use it anytime using an action.

III, the /roll system.

1. The rolling system in general
This is where the /me command gets slightly harder. During fight, multiple people have a role, using /me's to perform actions.

An example:

Citizen 1 and Citizen 2 are having a fight.

Citizen 1 is talking to Citizen 2, when suddenly, Citizen 1 notices he's missing his tokens.
Citizen 1: "Where are my tokens..."
Citizen 2 shurgs.
Citizen 1 eyes Citizen 2.
Citizen 1: "You took them! Give them back!"
Citizen 2 looks surprised.
Citizen 2: "I didn't do anything!"
Citizen 1 becomes enraged, and exclaims "Liar!"
Citizen 1 attempts to hit Citizen 2 in the stomach.

Its at THIS point, where you roll.
Citizen 1 rolls 51 out of 100.
Citizen 2 rolls 49 out of 100.
Citizen 1 succeeds, causing citizen 2 to gasp in pain.

Since Citizen 2 lost, he will have too show some kinda of injury rp. If its a serious enough hit, the citizen can not retiliate, because citizen 1 has leverage, hindering Citizen 2.

Perhaps a blow to the stomach wouldn't hinder the other citizen so much, but lets say it was a very hard blow to the head? The citizen would be KO'd, and would have to use the /charfallover command.

2. Common sense
Yet there are several flaws in the rolling system, people sometimes fail to use common sense.
When you're fighting an, for example, SeC (Highest rank ACP), you have to use COMMON SENSE, because the people forget to take note of these:
The SeC had training
The SeC is equiped with a weapon
The SeC is generally feared

So if you add up the facts, the SeC is way too strong for 1 or 2 citizens to take on. Also, if you would rush him, he would most likely shoot.

3. The 3vs1 rule

The 3 versus 1 rule pretty much applies to everyone, because it's simply too hard to get off 3 people at once. In a 3 versus 1 the party of 3 requires no rolls if they wish to perform an action like knocking out the person.
But they must still use common sense.

4. What if you're not in position to reach the other person with a /me or /roll

This would most likely be a firefight. At long range firefights, no /me's or /rolls are required, even if it's 1v1.
The players will shoot to miss, this will make the fight way more enjoyable, after a while, you may try to hit, but try not to go for the lethal shot without /me and /roll

IV, how to chat correctly?

1. Capital letters and punctuation

When typing you should always try to use capital letters and punctuation (Like . or , or ? or !)
This is easy to master when you 'train' it.

Bad example: "i went to the grocery store of yang cheng i bought a melon an apple and a piece of chocolate"
Good example: "I went to the grocery store of Yang Cheng, I bought a melon, an apple and a piece of chocolate."

2. OOC, LOOC and IC

When you're typing you have 3 possibilities of sort of chat.

OOC -> Out of Character, server wide.
LOOC -> Local Out of Character, in a set range
IC -> In Character.

OOC -> You use that when you want to send an out of character message to everyone on the server, which is not IN CHARACTER, meaning it's you saying it, not your character.
LOOC -> You use that when you want to send an out of character message to anyone nearby, which is not IN CHARACTER, meaning it's you saying it, not your character him or herself.
IC -> You use that when your character wants to say something to anyone, it's your character speaking, not the player.

If you use Out of character information in-character, that will be considered metagaming and will result in ban.

Thumb's Up :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:51:40 AM by Slicks »

Offline ???????£??Rose Nocturna???

• Kitsune Developer
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Basic Roleplay Guide.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »
Omfg, sticky this now!  This is a WELL made guide, easily understood.  Well done, I demand that anyone new read this before RP'ing.

Offline S?cojnr

• #1 CHAV
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »
This is an awsome guide, great work and a good amount of effort put into this.

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
Well done. This guide goes into great detail on what to do and how to do it. You explained a lot of details, some I didn't even know. Stickied for sure.

Slicks

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »

Offline The Great Milenko

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
Pretty good guide, and I know you're a great roleplayer too. If you added a section on how its near impossible for citizens to have more than a small amount of muscle mass and an in-depth section on descriptive /me'ing, I would personally use this as a reference in game

Offline Crap-Head

• #OCRP2
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »
I dont play hl2rp but daaaang, this guide is well done and easy to understand.

Good work.
Please do not add me on Steam because you have in-game problems. Make a thread in the correct board on the forum and i will respond to that whenever i have time.

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:52:27 AM »
Looks like its from tnb
what

Slicks

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:03:59 AM »
Go check.

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:07:05 AM »
Its offline at the moment, and i think i'd know,considering ive read nearly all the guides there,and some of the bits in there are TnB bits like the divisons.
what

Slicks

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:23:30 AM »
Not at all.
I don't Cpaste

Offline SkeptiK

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »
Then why are the ranks and squadron names/associations completely wrong. And wtf... Why is there individual squadrons that "Takes care of anti-citizens" That is associated with Socio-stability. No offence but this guide is bad, maybe good for beginners but other than that it's mostly misleading information.

Good attempt though. I mean no offence by this post.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:34:11 AM by SkeptiK »
Burning Bullet: you're stupid
Burning Bullet: i was in cg
Burning Bullet: before cg

Offline lemonshit

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 08:48:56 AM »
We dont have an EpU rank.. If youre going to copy and paste, at least give credit to whoever you took it from..

Also, the ranks are Rct, 04, 03, 02, 01, OfC, DvL, SeC. Not 05-01
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:53:27 AM by Wodarski »

Offline lemonshit

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 09:27:19 PM »
If we ever get something like GRID, we should name it Phalanx.. Just putting it out thar.

Offline JoshB

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
Awesome guide. I have a question about the 3v1 rule, can 4 citizens armed with improvised weapons take down a CP?
[CG-SA]Toy4x4funrun: When guns are involved RP = basicly void
lolwut?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal