Author Topic: Seeable growth  (Read 5207 times)

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Seeable growth
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »
You like never suggest things lol. I'd like to see what you want to suggest.

Because the hl2rp is dying, we must resort to more script based things. While I don't like it, I know that doing so will give the server a chance because at this rate, the server is going to die and things are getting desparate ok. Desparate times call for desparate measures. I also didn't want to suggest this stuff because I have a very, very strong feeling that no one will listen to me so what's the point but statua said to so I will.

Add in things such as facial hair and general hair growth. I don't know how this coding stuff works but it's an idea. Basically overtime your character would slowly get facial hair and his hair would just grow in general unless cut. So had an option in the menu where we have to click a button or two saying we shaved or cut our hair and the hair would shorten/disappear. It would add a further level of immersion and allow others to see more clearly what other citizens looked like, as it would be a Seeable growth over time. Allows us to have long hair or short hair. Goatee or no beard at all. More immersion and it will help us stand out against other servers. We need to be more unique.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Seeable growth
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
I can just see people walking around as blobs of hair. Not sure how this would work. Then again, I don't know what Lua can do so...

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:05:22 PM »
Add it in the mpf laws that you have to look presentable or you will get level 3. So if some dude has hair touching the ground then he will get a good ol' smackaroo

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
Add it in the mpf laws that you have to look presentable or you will get level 3. So if some dude has hair touching the ground then he will get a good ol' smackaroo

Hippies... >:(

If lua can do this, I'd be ok with it.  It would give the CWU and/or Loyalist Party something to do.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »
why not just roleplay it instead of needing a script to see facial hair, we have physical descriptions for a reason

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
why not just roleplay it instead of needing a script to see facial hair, we have physical descriptions for a reason

Read the OP?

Because the hl2rp is dying, we must resort to more script based things. While I don't like it, I know that doing so will give the server a chance because at this rate, the server is going to die and things are getting desparate ok. Desparate times call for desparate measures. I also didn't want to suggest this stuff because I have a very, very strong feeling that no one will listen to me so what's the point but statua said to so I will.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
if you unable to roleplay something really simple like facial hair without relying on a script then something is incredibly wrong with your roleplay

Offline Vegas

• Big Poppa
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 11:12:57 PM »
if you unable to roleplay something really simple like facial hair without relying on a script then something is incredibly wrong with your roleplay
do you not understand
he said that its fine without script but everyone is saying that if we dont get more script things the server will die, so thus he suggested something that is script-based

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:33 PM »
seems like you could do better things to do with khubs coding time than make particle effects cling to models

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 11:40:43 PM »
seems like you could do better things to do with khubs coding time than make particle effects cling to models

Please enlighten us on what you propose Khub does then, I'm sure you got some good ideas(no sarcasm intended).

And Abbott, maybe you should read the whole op before posting but I'll say it again. From what I've seen and heard, other more popular RP servers use other kind of script based things which somehow makes them popular. I remember this one server had cameras around the street and if you ran they would catch you and you would like get in trouble. Do we need script stuff? No, not really. But will it help the server, even if the difference is little? Yes, it will, minor or major. I'm against script stuff but I've come to the realization that most of the gmod community isn't like me and likes script based stuff. Makes the server more unique and just be special. 2 years ago back on the old server I would have never, ever suggested something like this but desperate times call for desperate measures. We both want the same thing Abbott; Populate HL2RP. I feel like this is one way of doing that.

Offline Vegas

• Big Poppa
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:48:27 PM »
you seem like one to talk raged
you talk about hl2rp on the forums quite a bit but i have yet to see you on the server since it began essentially

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:54:25 PM »
you seem like one to talk raged
you talk about hl2rp on the forums quite a bit but i have yet to see you on the server since it began essentially

try doing 12 hours of uni contact and working 34 hours a week and tell me if you want to spend your free time roleplaying

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 05:25:22 AM »
i really think its just a waste of time to code something minuscule like this in when it can be easily roleplayed

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:36 AM »
I'll state it like this: it would be possible to render some rescaled models or particles to serve as (facial) hair. Almost everything can be coded. The idea is nice but the implementation would probably require me to also add some kind of physics to the rendered hair and while I'm sure the following could somehow be dealt with as well, Clockwork already causes enough FPS drops.
Sorry, I don't fancy myself spending time on something like this. Maybe in the future if I empty my to-do list, but as for now this thing has the lowest priority of all.

I remember this one server had cameras around the street and if you ran they would catch you and you would like get in trouble
This is already in the works along with some more eye-candy stuff.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
i really think its just a waste of time to code something minuscule like this in when it can be easily roleplayed

Abbott you are missing the entire point. I get that this can be rp'ed, everyone gets that. It's just that we need to entice players to join our server as we have nothing unique to us. In a perfect world, we could rp on gm_flatgrass. I've come to the realization that having more script side things could benefit the server as new players will think things like this are cool, which will make them come and play.

It's not about we could rp it, it's about getting people to want to play on our server and making ourselves unique.

I'll state it like this: it would be possible to render some rescaled models or particles to serve as (facial) hair. Almost everything can be coded. The idea is nice but the implementation would probably require me to also add some kind of physics to the rendered hair and while I'm sure the following could somehow be dealt with as well, Clockwork already causes enough FPS drops.
Sorry, I don't fancy myself spending time on something like this. Maybe in the future if I empty my to-do list, but as for now this thing has the lowest priority of all.

I remember this one server had cameras around the street and if you ran they would catch you and you would like get in trouble
This is already in the works along with some more eye-candy stuff.

Sounds good, just trying to help. Maybe you should make a thread of what's in the works currently...? (Cough ocrp2 cough)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal