Author Topic: Something about the resistance, maybe?  (Read 4557 times)

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Something about the resistance, maybe?
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:06:03 PM »
Once again we are moving down the road of concentrating mostly on the CCA (R&D only, for some reason). We need to come up with some things to get the resistance going from the start, so it won't collapse under it's own weight down the track.

The main issue we had with resistance groups before was that complete idiots would decide to make a "resistance" group that wouldn't do anything that even made them look like they are resisting anything.

We need solutions for:

1. How to deal with lolwebul groups effectively

2. Perhaps an official resistance? As to make sure that it all forms of a resistance can't just vanish.

3. Someway of ensuring they aren't instantly killed off by the CCA.

i can't think of many ideas for the resistance, as i have hardly ever played a resistance character (and when i did, it was undercover unit so...).
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Something about the resistance, maybe?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:32 PM »

um like we did in the past by killing them

2. Perhaps an official resistance? As to make sure that it all forms of a resistance can't just vanish.

what stops them from being killed then if they're so stupidly autistic that ic'ly the UU should've wiped them out

not be dumb

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »
Quote from: KillmePlz

Groups that create a visible profile ingame get crushed within two weeks of their creation. Let them build up and be destroyed by the CCA. They will bring it upon themselves and if they manage to survive, it presents a challenge for the CCA to deal with in the long term. I started off as a mingerebel that spawned a random cinder block on a bridge overlooking a street and dropped it on to a CCA unit's head. My character was caught and beaten and that started me on the road of actually developing a character for resistance RP (and thus Third Eye was born). It's through failure that we learn but if we start targeting groups because "your rp is shit and I don't like your group" then HL2RP will fail in it's entirety. Encourage players to be better and not to follow a bad example by setting a good one.

As bad as it sounds, you have to encourage people to RP as a rebel by getting them into entry-level positions. Whether they're a thug or a prostitute, it doesn't really matter. Obviously if people hoard AR2's and decide to kill every citizen who walks into the scummy parts of town then yes, they should be destroyed ASAP by the CCA.

I haven't really seen official resistance groups done well on the City server, in the past and on other servers it just seems to be collecting guns and ammo and then having a massive onslaught at the end of every week with the CCA. An official resistance group needs to facilitate and encourage the growth of passive RP against the Combine occupation without bringing dumb violence into the equation. An official resistance group (if implemented and managed well) won't even need a gun or vest in any members' inventory. There are thousand more ways to subvert and disrupt the Combine than shooting at them.

In the end it's up to the discretion of the CCA to decide when enough is enough. They're the most resourced and well-supplied faction in HL2RP and if they want an enemy to fight then the players will have to use common sense in situations where the fate of rebel RP is in their hands.

"We have all of the members of a group up against a wall, some of them had guns, others just had handheld radios and others were unarmed but are associates. Let's kill them all to send a message." - a classic situation of how the CCA would work but in practice for HL2RP it's just going to piss people off and put players off from making/associating their characters with rebel factions.

"A citizen just came in and gave us some contraband, now we're putting him in the incinerator. Who knows where we got the gear from?" - another situation which happened too frequently; people reporting crimes/handing in contraband/giving information and getting punished for it too harshly. Again, you would probably not risk it if you were actually in the CCA but in the long run it is just not worth killing one character over something so petty.

The CCA should be employing secret police tactics more often (ones which don't result in a PK on the first offense by a citizen) like forcing citizens to become informants, torturing for information (yes, this happened a lot but it seemed to be over minor details after which the characters involved were PK'd - what did you really gain from it?) and several other tactics which can be also used.

i can't think of many ideas for the resistance, as i have hardly ever played a resistance character (and when i did, it was undercover unit so...).

It's the responsibility of everyone on the server to make sure there is not an imbalance in CCA vs Rebel RP. If one starts being better than the other, guess who all of the players are going to join up with? Make them as good as each other and you have a perfect combination.

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:23:43 AM »
just make s2 icly hated and they wouldnt save an operative when they get revealed

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:33:50 AM »
Resistance groups work well when people who know what they're doing are running them. An official resistance group would discourage smaller groups from forming. We should however figure out how to facilitate the player created groups.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 01:59:48 AM »

what stops them from being killed then if they're so stupidly autistic that ic'ly the UU should've wiped them out

not be dumb

pretty much this to be honest

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 04:13:45 AM »

not be dumb

pls name ur successful rebel
scissorblade
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:21:28 AM by yAK »

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 05:50:29 AM »
scissorblade

russel kovac

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 05:56:59 AM »
not u raged
why would i ask u that

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 02:33:29 PM »

not be dumb

scissorblade

dunno what that has to do with anything lol

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »
Make rëble rp less about beating the shit out of other rëble heads cause u kno you gotta kick the shit out of the lil bitch new guy who just walked in and started talkin shit...

More about, doing ur job u kno stayin incognit? with your nigs avoiding police etc getn that paper puttn in work Husslein that contraband damn

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
Make rëble rp less about beating the shit out of other rëble heads cause u kno you gotta kick the shit out of the lil bitch new guy who just walked in and started talkin shit...

More about, doing ur job u kno stayin incognit? with your nigs avoiding police etc getn that paper puttn in work Husslein that contraband damn
people often get resistance to confused with gang rp which is why that happened a lot

Offline Tyrex

• we won spam
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »

• yeah, resistance rp shouldnt be obvious the cca shouldnt even find out about it if they are doing it right
  • there is no way a huge resistance group would be able to last a day with the cca being that close to everyone unless no one said a word
  • please dont let there be another sector or district or precinct or whatever you want to call it where the cca just can't enter for whatever reason
  • this just encourages lolrebels knowing they can't be caught and just yelling out "le rebels!!!" in the open

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
yeah i never fully understood why we had a no patrol district anyway, i doubt the CCA would ever actually do that and they'd have units patrolling around everywhere in a city. there shouldnt be a "safe haven" sort of district for anyone with rebellious leanings especially in city

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 06:56:20 PM »
official resistance isn't going to and never will happen just a heads up
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal