Author Topic: Banning  (Read 13408 times)

Offline Crap-Head

• #OCRP2
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Banning
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:34 AM »
If you're having a hard time following the rules, or feel like you're always in the wrong place, at the wrong time, just stay away from the server for 1 month?
Please do not add me on Steam because you have in-game problems. Make a thread in the correct board on the forum and i will respond to that whenever i have time.

Offline Giinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »
there's plenty of people wh

Words of wisdom, Antartican Lightningsuck.

And it honestly really isn't hard to just avoid a ban... If a cop is arresting you, just do what he says... then you won't be banned for running from a taser.

It's not really the fact that he got banned for running from the taser, it's that he got banned for something he thought at the time was allowed. In someone's appeal (can't remember who), the admin said that tasers do not fall under FearRP. Unknowingly, he ran from the taser and got banned for it and on his appeal they made a quote that said something like "tasers do fall under fearRP within an effective range" (which isn't stated on the rules at all, and the "common sense" rule isn't really helpful when something that may be common sense to you isn't for another person) . You'd be upset too if you got banned for something you thought was allowed, but they changed the terms of that being allowed inside your ban appeal.

I'm kind of with quantum on this. I understand that 5 strikes is a reasonable amount of "warnings" you can get before being thrown out. I mean, why not? If they mess up that many times, they might as well not even be here. But in my opinion, a ban should be unbiased and lenient on sticky situations and new players. If you do something that you think is right and you have a way to justify your point being somewhat correct, you should just get a warning point put on your account for violating a rule. That way players can see situations that have happened in the past and learn from them. If it happens again however, I think that's when a ban point should come into play. New members don't always understand everything about the server. Sure, you can read the rules, but if you're actually a player of the server you know that the rules don't always fill in those gaps with weird situations, such as killing a cop in public to defend your friend from arrest. Sure, that may seem a bit obvious if you're a long-term player, but the newer players may not know that. Such as in my case, I got banned once on OCRP for killing a cop in public that was arresting my friend, I figured that because it never said it in the rules, and it seemed like it was kind of RP-ish I would be able to do it, but I ended up getting banned for that. In my opinion what should have happened was the admin would look at how long I've been playing and put that into consideration as well as if I had any other warning/ban points related to that and if not I would get told that it was against the rules to do that and I would get a warning on my account and told that if I did it again I would get banned.

That system seems a bit better in my opinion, because the way I see it now is admins just see something wrong happen and ban them for it. Sure they can appeal and say that they didn't know, but that does them no good (as you can see), and they're usually just told to read the rules (which is kind of hard to do because if the rule doesn't exist, it would just fall under the "common sense" section).

I'm not trying to say that quantum's ban wasn't right, I'm just trying to say that sometimes newer players, or players caught in a situation that they think is right and justifiable, deserve a little bit more leniency than just a slap in the face with a ban.

Offline msu957

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »

And it honestly really isn't hard to just avoid a ban... If a cop is arresting you, just do what he says... then you won't be banned for running from a taser.

It's not really the fact that he got banned for running from the taser, it's that he got banned for something he thought at the time was allowed. In someone's appeal (can't remember who), the admin said that tasers do not fall under FearRP. Unknowingly, he ran from the taser and got banned for it and on his appeal they made a quote that said something like "tasers do fall under fearRP within an effective range" (which isn't stated on the rules at all, and the "common sense" rule isn't really helpful when something that may be common sense to you isn't for another person) . You'd be upset too if you got banned for something you thought was allowed, but they changed the terms of that being allowed inside your ban appeal.

I'm kind of with quantum on this. I understand that 5 strikes is a reasonable amount of "warnings" you can get before being thrown out. I mean, why not? If they mess up that many times, they might as well not even be here. But in my opinion, a ban should be unbiased and lenient on sticky situations and new players. If you do something that you think is right and you have a way to justify your point being somewhat correct, you should just get a warning point put on your account for violating a rule. That way players can see situations that have happened in the past and learn from them. If it happens again however, I think that's when a ban point should come into play. New members don't always understand everything about the server. Sure, you can read the rules, but if you're actually a player of the server you know that the rules don't always fill in those gaps with weird situations, such as killing a cop in public to defend your friend from arrest. Sure, that may seem a bit obvious if you're a long-term player, but the newer players may not know that. Such as in my case, I got banned once on OCRP for killing a cop in public that was arresting my friend, I figured that because it never said it in the rules, and it seemed like it was kind of RP-ish I would be able to do it, but I ended up getting banned for that. In my opinion what should have happened was the admin would look at how long I've been playing and put that into consideration as well as if I had any other warning/ban points related to that and if not I would get told that it was against the rules to do that and I would get a warning on my account and told that if I did it again I would get banned.

That system seems a bit better in my opinion, because the way I see it now is admins just see something wrong happen and ban them for it. Sure they can appeal and say that they didn't know, but that does them no good (as you can see), and they're usually just told to read the rules (which is kind of hard to do because if the rule doesn't exist, it would just fall under the "common sense" section).

I'm not trying to say that quantum's ban wasn't right, I'm just trying to say that sometimes newer players, or players caught in a situation that they think is right and justifiable, deserve a little bit more leniency than just a slap in the face with a ban.
I totally agree with what your saying, but if he struck out, maybe he should of went through all the rules to make sure he would not get banned. If he was unsure ask an admin. Sometimes people don't follow understand the rules though. I stroke out, and it was only my 2nd ban, and my first ban on OCRP. I really did not know the rules, but if I was aware that I only needed one ban to strike out I probably would of read the rules over a couple more times then just once. But for people who were banned more then a couple times on the same server, they should read the rules, and know them like their the back of their hand before they come back.

Offline Quantum

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »

I totally agree with what your saying, but if he struck out, maybe he should of went through all the rules to make sure he would not get banned. If he was unsure ask an admin. Sometimes people don't follow understand the rules though. I stroke out, and it was only my 2nd ban, and my first ban on OCRP. I really did not know the rules, but if I was aware that I only needed one ban to strike out I probably would of read the rules over a couple more times then just once. But for people who were banned more then a couple times on the same server, they should read the rules, and know them like their the back of their hand before they come back.

I wasn't unsure, tasers being FearRP isn't in the rules and I saw a post by Statua that said that tasers were not FearRP. So considering an admin said it was not FearRP, I thought I would not be banned for it because by what he said, it wasn't against the rules. I know NOW (the admins and other players keep saying "but it is a rule") but I did not know at the time and was actually under the impression of the exact opposite of what the actual rule it.

I'll make it extremely easy for everyone to understand why my ban was complete bullshit.

1. Statua makes a post on a ban appeal saying tasers are not FearRP
2. I read this post and assume that what he says is correct because there is absolutely NOTHING in the rules about tasers being FearRP or not
3. I run from a taser and players report me
4. Admins have a discussion in my ban appeal/report and decide that it is FearRP
5. I get banned for a rule that was decided after I was reported and was actually said by an admin to be ok before I did it

Why would I need to ask an admin if it was allowed or not when I already saw an admin say that it was ok to run from the tasers?

The post by Statua (it is the first reply in the appeal): http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=25209.msg182941#msg182941

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »

I wasn't unsure, tasers being FearRP isn't in the rules and I saw a post by Statua that said that tasers were not FearRP. So considering an admin said it was not FearRP, I thought I would not be banned for it because by what he said, it wasn't against the rules. I know NOW (the admins and other players keep saying "but it is a rule") but I did not know at the time and was actually under the impression of the exact opposite of what the actual rule it.

I'll make it extremely easy for everyone to understand why my ban was complete bullshit.

2. I read this post and assume that what he says is correct because there is absolutely NOTHING in the rules about tasers being FearRP or not
4. Admins have a discussion in my ban appeal/report and decide that it is FearRP
5. I get banned for a rule that was decided after I was reported and was actually said by an admin to be ok before I did it

Why would I need to ask an admin if it was allowed or not when I already saw an admin say that it was ok to run from the tasers?

The post by Statua (it is the first reply in the appeal): http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=25209.msg182941#msg182941

You actually got banned irregardless of that fact. Running right after waking up from a taser is considered Fail RP as you just had a shitton of electricity coursing through your body. You'd barely be able to stand right after getting up, let alone run.

Offline Quantum

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
I did not get up and instantly run. Ten or more seconds passed on each incident but you can't see that in the video because they cut that part out.

Post Auto-Merged: June 06, 2013, 02:28:39 PM
Also since you say that you would not just get up and run, you are completely wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdetqS40Ua4 you can say that you have been tazed in real life but the experience is not the same for everyone. In-fact more likely you would try and run so they would not taze you again. Your muscles tense up when being electrocuted but when it stop they go back to normal.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:28:39 PM by -hg- Quantum »

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »
The only way to shrug off a tazing in real life is if you are of INCREDIBLY high muscle mass or on narcotics.  As far as I know, you were ICly neither of those things.

Offline Quantum

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »
Actually I had level 3 strength which is the highest you can get, I also had endurance and acrobatics. So my character actually would be muscular.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
In that case, I'll leave the conclusion to the OCRP/Global admins and/or Owners to decide.

Offline Keskjer

• Catalyst Gaming
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »
The banning system we use is fine, it does the trick and we've been using it for how long now? Besides this thread is going off topic anyways... I'm not going to lock it, but all I'm saying is what method we use not probably wont change.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »

You don't get it. Let me spell it out for you.

What you did was FailRP!

Doesnt matter what I said about tasers. Really it doesnt. because getting up and running away after being shocked by a taser just doesnt happen. Really. And after being banned 4 times, I would think you would at least do SOMETHING to ensure you dont get banned again. But you obviously didnt care.

We're admins, not cops. If you have questions such as how to not get banned, we are glad to help you. Nobody has asked me "Statua, I keep getting banned. Whats the best way to avoid it?" Well I could say "read the rules" but thats not it. There's other things you can do too.

TL;DR you didnt get it the first 4 times so the 5th time you lose.

Offline Quantum

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »
Statua read the other post about being tazed and actually gather information if you know nothing about being tazed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdetqS40Ua4

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 04:34:03 PM »
Statua read the other post about being tazed and actually gather information if you know nothing about being tazed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdetqS40Ua4
And that is something that doesnt happen in most cases. If you feel that you should be allowed to do that when why dont you parkour across all the roofs, get hit by cars and not die, lift cars with your bare hands, karate chop a cops neck off, all while being a 92 year old man.

Point is, its not common. What makes you so special that you are allowed to get up and run away after being tased and handcuffed?

Offline Quantum

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »
It is very common for people to attempt to run from a tazer. Like I said before, my character has the max strength, agility, and endurance which means he could easily with stand a police tazer.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »
It is very common for people to attempt to run from a tazer. Like I said before, my character has the max strength, agility, and endurance which means he could easily with stand a police tazer.
Your strength agility and endurance dont affect your pain and reflex tolerance. And running from a taser I can understand but running after being tased is where the problem is here.

If we had people just getting up and running after being tased all the time, it would be a never ending loop of tase, wait, run, tase, wait, run. If this were IRL since we're gonna go there, you would have been pinned and restrained by both cops so running would be out of the question for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal