Author Topic: District Passes  (Read 12799 times)

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
District Passes
« on: February 03, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »
Essentially it'd be using the combine shield entity to prevent citizens from passing through unless they have an item in their inventory in the form of a district pass keycard. This way districts can be used to seperate the 'average joe' and the loyalist from each other, such as on rp_industrial by securing the plaza (and thus only loyalists can access the fancy apartments, cafe shops and have guaranteed CP protection) whereas everybody else would be forced to live in the slum areas where CP patrols would be less frequent and crime more often.

Since I'm finishing up the loyalist system now I'd incorporate this into account so that it would be one of the rewards for reaching a certain promotion in the loyalist hierarchy.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: District Passes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 07:02:59 PM »
I fully support this idea. As raged explained to me yesterday...

Living in squalor = crime= rp =excitement

It also provides a serious incentive to be a loyalist to get these benefits.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »
The only loyalist benefit in an OOC sense in this situation is that they get to not deal with really awful crime RP, otherwise everything (again, OOC) fun is happening out side of protected areas~

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:00:51 PM »
It would be interesting if the passes were a one-time use, meaning that citizens would have to be continually earning money if they wanted to travel a lot.
o7

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:17:14 AM »
It's sadly not possible to make something just like this - as due to how Source engine works, if one "Player" entity doesn't collide with another entity (can walk through), any other "Player" entity will be treated same - it doesn't allow us to be dynamically resolved, like basing on how many LP they have or if they have an item in their inventory. It is possible to make it fading door-alike though, I'll look into that. As long as the shield itself doesn't allow two people at once to go through, it shouldn't be a problem.

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:50:47 AM »
I do remember Oz tinkering with passes and identity cards in his last map demonstration.

Except he used it for access to the main console in the Nexus, so as khub said I don't personally think it is possible due to the information provided by him. (Please correct me if i'm wrong)

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:10:09 AM »
I do remember Oz tinkering with passes and identity cards in his last map demonstration.

Except he used it for access to the main console in the Nexus, so as khub said I don't personally think it is possible due to the information provided by him. (Please correct me if i'm wrong)

The key card used for the AI control is currently a func_physbox (a physics brush) which had a unique name attached to it; "nexus_AI_keycard" would be the current name for this entity.

The trigger zone in the key card reader will reads whatever entity which is touching the trigger and filters it to only allow a certain name in this case, "nexus_AI_keycard") to unlock the buttons. This is currently a proof-of-concept and I don't really want to have an entity that gets spawned by the map (unless there is a method of respawning it without fear of theft/mingery).

RTLK said that it could be done by having the key card as a Clockwork item which High Command only spawn with. If this were to happen, the filter could ignore any other entity on the map that isn't the key card item.

I suppose that you could have a leasing system where you purchase a district pass and it expires in a certain amount of time. The player could then be presented with the option to buy one from a vendor after they have expired the uses. Veniscript/early Tacoscript plugins had a system in place where you could walk through Combine shield entities as long as the item was in your inventory but it didn't take any other variables into account like current criminal points and faction.

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:16:15 AM »
pls do this
i would like this very much
but ppl trying to become loyalists will get their ass beat

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 05:23:27 AM »

The key card used for the AI control is currently a func_physbox (a physics brush) which had a unique name attached to it; "nexus_AI_keycard" would be the current name for this entity.

The trigger zone in the key card reader will reads whatever entity which is touching the trigger and filters it to only allow a certain name in this case, "nexus_AI_keycard") to unlock the buttons. This is currently a proof-of-concept and I don't really want to have an entity that gets spawned by the map (unless there is a method of respawning it without fear of theft/mingery).

RTLK said that it could be done by having the key card as a Clockwork item which High Command only spawn with. If this were to happen, the filter could ignore any other entity on the map that isn't the key card item.

I suppose that you could have a leasing system where you purchase a district pass and it expires in a certain amount of time. The player could then be presented with the option to buy one from a vendor after they have expired the uses. Veniscript/early Tacoscript plugins had a system in place where you could walk through Combine shield entities as long as the item was in your inventory but it didn't take any other variables into account like current criminal points and faction.

It's not a problem to check the criminal points and stuff, cards can be spawned easily and they can have expiration time because the new Clockwork inventory system is designed fairly well. The problem is that I can't code an entity (eg. the shield) that lets some players through and some not. I have no idea how they've done it, since several people on Facepunch claims the entity collision must be coded basing on entity class and that it must be permanent. All players have same entity class "Player", so it's either so everyone can walk through, or noone can. I will try to look into this but I don't think I will come up with anything better than a fading door.

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 05:30:21 AM »

It's not a problem to check the criminal points and stuff, cards can be spawned easily and they can have expiration time because the new Clockwork inventory system is designed fairly well. The problem is that I can't code an entity (eg. the shield) that lets some players through and some not. I have no idea how they've done it, since several people on Facepunch claims the entity collision must be coded basing on entity class and that it must be permanent. All players have same entity class "Player", so it's either so everyone can walk through, or noone can. I will try to look into this but I don't think I will come up with anything better than a fading door.
can't you add a black list or we could have a minus points class that denies them access

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 05:41:56 AM »

can't you add a black list or we could have a minus points class that denies them access

One doesn't simply overwrite Source engine's player class without binary modules at least, if it's even possible.
EDIT:

Well, whatever. Either garry fixed it, or people on Facepunch were talking bullshit.
It works well.

Prepare for new selective forcefields.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:04:26 AM by Khub »

Offline Monkey with a gun

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 07:03:38 AM »
I really like this idea. However one concern I have is if all non-loyalists are now forced to live outside of the main plaza and with less CCA patrols, how much harder is it going to be for citizens to actually earn their loyalist status especially if they're in a less patrolled part of town now.

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
I think this could also work well for keeping vortigaunts in areas we want them if they are granted permission to roam as second-class citizens.
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 09:17:37 AM »
Might not be possible but, if the vort thing is added and it goes into P3, in the top left it says something like "unauthorised conscript entry into p3" or something as such
what

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »
That too, in fact, I told Airborne we should have something just like that when we were talking about it.
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal