Author Topic: Bought a new PC, how long will it last me?  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Kaiser Wilhelm I ?DetroitRP

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Bought a new PC, how long will it last me?
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »
I got a 3930k Intel 6 core processor with a GTX 680 EVGA Supercharged with 16 gbs of ram, 2tb of memory, 15 percent overclocking power, lots of other high end stuff inside. I dont remember what the cooling system was but it had 40 dollar noise reduction system and a cooling system worth around 100 bucks. How long will this PC last me to run everything on high, as I plan to sli when I need a update.

Offline 2stronk

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Bought a new PC, how long will it last me?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »
why do i have the feeling you just posted this to make people think youre either rich or cool

if you really bought such an enthusiast system you should know the answer yourself

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
why do i have the feeling you just posted this to make people think youre either rich or cool

if you really bought such an enthusiast system you should know the answer yourself
I can give you a benchmark or all different types of proof to show I own one. Bought it off of cyberpower gaming. This has nothing to do with bragging rights. I just want to know if it will last for 2-3 years and when I need to upgrade it. I'm not great at figuring out the longevity of hardware. What now? Do you want a receit?

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
If you've bought something like this you should atleast know more about it, it will last around 4-6 years (in my opinion) if you're talking about proper full max quality - it's still overkill though, nothing is using 16 gig of ram not even in 5 years game wise (again in my opinion)

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »
If you've bought something like this you should atleast know more about it, it will last around 4-6 years (in my opinion) if you're talking about proper full max quality - it's still overkill though, nothing is using 16 gig of ram not even in 5 years game wise (again in my opinion)
Could I run one server on it of hl2rp?

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
That depends more on your upload speeds but yes with the PC you could - although home dedicated servers always suck

Offline tim

• SPACE JAM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »
You could, yes.
Though for bandwidth you'd need

16 players: 640kbps upstream.
24 players: 960kbps upstream.
32 players: 1280kbps upstream.

Downstream shouldn't be a problem
#

Offline Alex

• AKA RoflWaffle
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
You could, yes.
Though for bandwidth you'd need

16 players: 640kbps upstream.
24 players: 960kbps upstream.
32 players: 1280kbps upstream.

Downstream shouldn't be a problem

If you don't have unlimited bandwidth then I wouldn't suggest hosting a server because chances are you could get limited depending on how much you use, e.g. I was streaming once in 1080p, try'd to use my internet the next day and it was laggy as fuck, turns out I was limited.

Just stick to using your computer for non-server related things, servers are always much better when they're on legitimate dedicated servers at datacenters.

Also, enjoy your new PC, with the new tech thats in your PC, I'd say it will last atleast 4-5years +.

Offline BeastOTE

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
Hi, I work in IT and wanted to point out that this isn't really a relevant question. People bring in computers from the late 90's that still work fine (well after I fix whatever issue has them bringing it to me, but you know what I mean). Computers themselves last a long time, the real question is how devoted are you to keeping up with technology. If you really wanted to have top-of-the-line gear, you would buy a whole new computer about every 5 months, no matter how fancy your last one was or how much you bragged about it on the forums.

Also, asking if it will last you until you need an upgrade is like asking if something will work until it doesn't work anymore. It's a circular, redundant question.

Sorry for the irritated post.

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »
There are many things we can tell you and what it can run, it's good that you should find out this stuff first before you buy a very expensive and high end machine. If i bought expensive music equipment and didn't know anything about it then i probably should not have bought it.

This is a computer though and it is easier to find out how to determine what you want with it easier than music equipment. The only question i can answer you is how long it will last you. It can last you up to as long as you want, i can have my old 8800 gtx still running hl2rp fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal