Author Topic: Play to lose!  (Read 14976 times)

Play to lose!
« on: April 24, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
What do you mean by play to lose (PTL)?
PTL means doing /me'd fights and so on without rolls, you do not /roll to decide who wins, this is unrealistic and stupid.

How do you play to lose?
Let's use a scenario, two different ones, one with and one without PTL.

- Scenario one - No PTL

** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 runs into the alley.
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson sees the DvL, and sneaks up on him from behind.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 notices the citizen.
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson attempts to hit the DvL's face with a plank, knocking him out.

** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson has rolled 78 out of 100.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 has rolled 23 out of 100

** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 gets hit, and falls down, unconscious.

- Scenario two - PTL

** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson attempts to hit the DvL's face with a plank, knocking him out.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 attempts to doge, but gets hit.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 steps backwards after getting hit, shaking his head.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 goes forwards, pulling his stunstick out
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson drops his plank, and runs.

** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 radios in...

__

As you can see in scenario two, the DvL did not have to fall down unconscious, he choose to get hit but becuse of his armor, he could also choose to avoid getting knocked out cold. In scenario one however, the DvL was suddenly hit, and had to roll. He lost, and had to get knocked unconscious, this did not lead to very much interesting roleplay as in scenario two.
[/size]

How should you use PTL?
When you play to lose, the roleplay will become much more interesting and enjoyable, however - there are some factors to be taken into consideration

1) You can not be invincible - play to lose means you choose to lose. You do a /me about what happens to you but be fair!
2) take all everything into consideration - enviroment, armor etc... i'll make a small list below.
3) Choose an interesting action! - This is not obligatory, but this will of course make things more fun, even tough it's not in your favor. Letting the citizen run off will result in a chase, possibly alarms and stuff if he's important enough. If you force him to stay, you will simply hit him and detain... you just rejected some fun roleplay.

Some factors
These factors are to be taken into consideration:
The enviroment - Are you in a trapped in a corner, is it raining, is it slippery?
The enemy - What is the enemy carrying? Armor, augmentation, steel mask (stop punching CPs in the face!) Is it several enemies, do they carry weapons? (Remember to look closely on the enemy players description!)
Your state - Do you eat well, do you drink well, are you hungry, are you strong, are you fast, did you expect an attack, are you scared of the enemy, did something happend recently that may cause negative effects on you?
Common sense and other factors - All other factors and common sense must be taken into consideration to, and remember. If you willingly choose to lose the fight or a me, then you are an awesome-sauce person who is awesome and the other player thinks you are awesome becuse you are awesome. Refusing to lose the fight or the /me will make you look like an asshole and if the other player has a clear advantage he may contact an admin or demand /roll to be used... becuse you are an asshole.

Is this official?
No, this is not the "new" or "official" system, but it can and should be used.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:03:53 AM by Norwegian Soldier »

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Play to lose!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »
Make it official now, I can't agree with you more:

/roll, for the purposes of hl2rp, is INCREDIBLY dumb, and makes no sense, if I'm an augmented DVL, and a random, under-fed citizen goes to hit me, it's almost certain the citizen won't be able to do much, if any damage to me, but with /roll, they can basicly power game their way to punching me in the face.

RPers should be mature enough to work out who wins between them, even if its takes a bit of LOOCing, a script shouldn't RP for you...

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
I fully Nyan- *Cough* Support this.
Knowledge. With it we can do anything. Without it we are nothing.

Offline Vegas

• Big Poppa
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
Indeed. This should be made official. Of course, there's still the error of punchwhores.

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:00:24 PM »
What do you mean by play to lose (PTL)?
PTL means doing /me'd fights and so on without rolls, you do not /roll to decide who wins, this is unrealistic and stupid.

How do you play to lose?
Let's use a scenario, two different ones, one with and one without PTL.

- Scenario one - No PTL

** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson has rolled 78 out of 100.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 has rolled 23 out of 100

** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 gets hit, and falls down, unconscious.

- Scenario two - PTL

__

As you can see in scenario two, the DvL did not have to fall down unconscious, he choose to get hit but becuse of his armor, he could also choose to avoid getting knocked out cold. In scenario one however, the DvL was suddenly hit, and had to roll. He lost, and had to get knocked unconscious, this did not lead to very much interesting roleplay as in scenario two.
[/size]

How should you use PTL?
When you play to lose, the roleplay will become much more interesting and enjoyable, however - there are some factors to be taken into consideration

1) You can not be invincible - play to lose means you choose to lose. You do a /me about what happens to you but be fair!
2) take all everything into consideration - enviroment, your awareness, your strenght, did the subject sneak up on you, does he wear armor etc...
3) Choose an interesting action! - This is not obligatory, but this will of course make things more fun, even tough it's not in your favor. Letting the citizen run off will result in a chase, possibly alarms and stuff if he's important enough. If you force him to stay, you will simply hit him and detain... you just rejected some fun roleplay.

Is this official?
No, this is not the "new" or "official" system, but it can and should be used.

NOTE: I am newb at guides, but you get the point?
I will agree with this, but the minges will not. I already had a problem with this, i tried it, and they did Play to Win instead (Bastards). But anyways, please promote this.

+support

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:04:12 AM »
Added "Factors" section.

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 05:08:09 AM »
YEEEES.
I mean, most rp situations like that are common sense. I mean, you cant really win agaisnt a SeC with a lot of augmentations etc or a fucking COTA can you,but people avoid it by rollplaying(bad pun).
 I mean, I saw a good use of Roll one time, and that was some cool board game, even a DvL watched as he didnt know if it was contra or not,and there was a crowd watching.
what

Offline Vegas

• Big Poppa
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »
Another thing is: The citizens are malnourished. CPs are well fed and trained. Pretty obvious who would win in a one on one fight, unless the citizen has some sort of weapon (gun typically) and the element of surprise. Or just a gun if facing a recruit. (However, element of surprise would also be preferred unless you do an immediate fatal shot (They'll just use the radio and call backup))

Offline JoshB

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »
Maybe you should make it so RCTs get +10 on rolls and etc. I still like rolls, because it keeps you from arguing.
[CG-SA]Toy4x4funrun: When guns are involved RP = basicly void
lolwut?

Offline Vegas

• Big Poppa
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
Rolls = malnourished citizens beating trained and fed CPs in a 1 on 1 fight
That's not how it should be.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 01:44:56 PM »
Can this be moved to the 'Guides' section?

Offline TorrentGamer ?Romney2012

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:19 AM »
Honestly, on other HL2RP servers we don't use /roll. /roll should be used in gambling in my opinon rather than something stupid as topic gives. Just saying I support the fact of using PTL rather than /roll.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:45:14 PM by Firedragon405 »
\\r\\ncolor annoys me, barely anyone is black, unlike last year\\r\\n
\\r\\n\\r\\n

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:43 AM »
Honestly, on other HL2RP servers we don't use /roll. /roll should be used in gambling in my opinon rather than something stupid as topic gives. Just saying I support the fact of using PTL rather than /roll.

Thanks for the feedback, but maybe you should use green glow? xD

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:21 AM »
We should just remove /roll, but most of our players aren't mature enough to work out between them who would win in a situation without using the script...

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 09:13:36 AM »
I don't play, I will barely play. And I already know, this will fail.
Great idea and all, but there's talks about minges all over, they will be happy to change the;

- Scenario two - PTL

To something more like;
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson hits the DvL's face with a plank, knocking him out.
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson takes a look on the unconscious DvL.
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson starts to smile very confident.
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson takes the DvL's equipment and runs.
They should get the weapons according to PTL, and they can do whatever they want now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal