Author Topic: Kepler: A planet like Earth  (Read 6982 times)

Offline CrazyNinja

• No dad please
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Kepler: A planet like Earth
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »
Its a new planet that nasa found.  Suppose ot be able to support life and shit.  I, myself, am fascinating with this.  That there could possibly be life out there.  Well, basically, everything about the universe fascinates me to be honest.  Not like we will ever be able to get there for quite awhile, if at all, since its very far away, 600 light years away to be exact.  What do you think?

Here's where I heard it from(GUNNS4Hire): <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHJdUalB9Y" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHJdUalB9Y</a>
and here's the website that talks about it, also listed in the youtube video: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepscicon-briefing.html

Offline deXterous | KaB00M!

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Kepler: A planet like Earth
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »
support life and shit.

seems like you care about the cosmos very much <.<

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-HjgjnRIM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-HjgjnRIM</a>

But let's not get our hopes too high, it could be a super-Earth gas planet. We don't even know if it has an atmosphere or if it has one, could sustain life. And remember. 600 light-years.... IT'S SO FAR AWAY.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:40:23 PM by KaB00M?@hihi »

Offline Ducky

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »
Yeah, I read something someone threw on FJ the other day, and apparently it would take something like 50000 years, maybe more, to get there in our fastest space shuttle. Then think about fuel as well.. there's no way we will be getting there within 300 years, by which time earth will probably run dry of resources because of the USA's overspending (not saying other countries don't overuse as well, but you guy's have been using a third of the world's resources, way more than you need). Still, it's cool to think about.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Click to see the original size.

RyanPeters

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »
Yea, I heard about this. It is so many light years away and they are making a plan or something to attempt to go there...

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:28:33 AM »
Yea, I heard about this. It is so many light years away and they are making a plan or something to attempt to go there...
lol bro you watching fox news?

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »
Lets do the math here.

If we where going there at the speed light it would take 600 years(with the average human years being 80 years) It would take six generations to reach it.

Now at possible speeds which we can do in the next 100 years.(roughly 1/16s the speed of light) It would take about 9600 years.

And that's IF we can go 1/16th of the speed of light.

Say we can go 10x the speed of light(Just saying) it would still be about a 60 year trip.

The only way that we can get there is if we find a way to use/make worm holes(Look it up)

Not to be a downer but I'd say it'll take humanity 300 years before we can even start prepping.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:01:15 PM by Juggernaut »
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
Neutrinos can travel faster than light, maybe we can make a spaceship out of neutrinos!! No, I'm not being serious about that if anyone asks Q_Q
Our only hope is in wormholes,  if they can exist (Hawking was wrong about black hole radiation), but to be honest our best bet at interplanetary colonization is Mars; that is way more realistic than Kepler-22b, I heard NASA are looking to recruit pioneers but they will never be able to return to Earth because the US of A is broke lololol.
"I luv how we where talken about amber killen her self and then it went to a kid that jacked off 42 times and died"
-C45.CCA.UNION-03.334

C18.CCA.JURY-RCT.527
Dr. Grigory Stulenkov
Steven Jessup

Offline [CA] KiwieeEh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 01:08:19 PM »
Neutrinos can travel faster than light.

Don't listen to media.
Are you aware of the percentage error involved in that experiment? Or, for that matter of fact, the percentage uncertainty?

The only way that we can get there is if we find a way to use/make worm holes.

Casually tare open the fabric of dimentia and pass through? No problem, I do it each day.
"If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.
I've got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one."

"Have a great evening, sorry, maple syrup, eh, moose, and ice hockey to you!"

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna' be my year."

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 01:35:24 PM »
I heard NASA are looking to recruit pioneers but they will never be able to return to Earth because the US of A is broke lololol.

Not true, why are you all reading on all those shitty news sites? o.O

@datguykiwi
So far, the results have been mindblowing. Let's see in near future, they're trying every possibility.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:37:42 PM by KaB00M?@hihi »

Offline [CA] KiwieeEh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 01:43:15 PM »
I'm being serious bro, I can do it.

(Anyway, I'm not being a bitch, I enjoy learning about theoretical physics.)
"If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.
I've got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one."

"Have a great evening, sorry, maple syrup, eh, moose, and ice hockey to you!"

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna' be my year."

RyanPeters

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
Lets do the math here.

If we where going there at the speed light it would take 600 years(with the average human years being 80 years) It would take six generations to reach it.

Now at possible speeds which we can do in the next 100 years.(roughly 1/16s the speed of light) It would take about 9600 years.

Say we can go 10x the speed of light(Just saying) it would still be about a 60 year trip.

The only way that we can get there is if we find a way to use/make worm holes(Look it up)

Not to be a downer but I'd say it'll take humanity 300 years before we can even start prepping.

True, but you never know what is possible. Yes it probably will and is impossible to reach it under that time, but they will never know to they find out.

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »
lol bro you watching fox news?

LOL'D SO HARD.

And, an attempt to go 600 light years?

GG

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »
Lets do the math here.

I wouldn't limit humanity yet. Our development increases exponentially.
Ignore what bitches tell you.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »

Don't listen to media.
Are you aware of the percentage error involved in that experiment? Or, for that matter of fact, the percentage uncertainty?

They did the experiment again and they got the same results, they're going to do the experiment in an American lab to see if the results can be repeated. It might turn out that Einstein was wrong, we just have to wait and see.

I heard NASA are looking to recruit pioneers but they will never be able to return to Earth because the US of A is broke lololol.

I wouldn't call BBC a shitty news site
"I luv how we where talken about amber killen her self and then it went to a kid that jacked off 42 times and died"
-C45.CCA.UNION-03.334

C18.CCA.JURY-RCT.527
Dr. Grigory Stulenkov
Steven Jessup

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »

Don't listen to media.

They did the experiment again and they got the same results, they're going to do the experiment in an American lab to see if the results can be repeated. It might turn out that Einstein was wrong, we just have to wait and see.

I wouldn't call BBC a shitty news site

Please, show me where BBC got the source from. The ONLY thing(s) we know about this planet is;
It has a radius roughly 2,4 that of the Earth (a Super-Earth),
It's in orbit around its star within the habitable zone,
It takes 290 days to rotate once and
It's 600 light-years away.

We have no idea of what it's atmosphere (if it has one) is composed of. We don't know how much heat it traps. It could be like Venus. We don't know if it's a gaseous planet or if it's made of solid rock. It could even be a ''waterworld''. So why don't you just show me a valid NASA source?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:58:47 PM by KaB00M?@hihi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal