Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress succession game - In progress, people may still join!  (Read 9728 times)

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
LOSING IS FUN!!

We will start going down the list on august 1st.  Until we get more people to sign up, the list will be repeated.

If we have any players here I might set up a succession game.  Anyone in?

A succession game is when the player will play for 1 year (In game time) and name the expedition leader after him.  The next player will appoint a new expedition leader and repeat the process.  This goes on until people give up or the fortress fails.

Rules

- Do not intentionally destroy the fortress!
- Have fun!
For those who have no idea what Dwarf Fortress is...

Poll!

Where shall we settle! =D

New world, I like the volcano.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
*Don't worry, unless you like ASCII graphics you can use a texture pack*

And a few interesting stories of past succession games done by communities like Something Awful

-Boatmurdered http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/  *VERY LONG, VERY GOOD*

-Headshoots http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Headshoots/ *Moderately long, pretty good"

-Syrup Leaf http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Syrupleaf/  "If you thought Boatmurdered was long..."

Best utility to get started

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

2 Year terms everyone!

1. Johanan
2. (My brother loves dwarf fortress and is quite good at it sooo, my brother, he will use my acct to post his records.)
3. Justin Newton AKA Jay
4. Conranos
5. Degtyarev
6. Open
7. Open
8. Open
9. Open
10. Open
-
-
-

Lets take this ten years at a time.  People may have more then one term, but not in a row.

Parts
1. http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=4485.msg35502#msg35502
2. http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=4485.msg36934#msg36934
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:06:27 PM by Johanan Strangeman »

Offline LoNeDeStRoYeR

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dwarf Fortress succesion game
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:24:24 PM »
Whats a succession game?

Coop?
My dropbox gallery: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/30764657/1/Ponies?h=988a91
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you�re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:28:53 PM »
A succession game is when one player will play for a certain amount of time, and then send the map to the next player to play.  My intention is to do it in 2 year reigns.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:43:12 AM by Johanan »

Offline LoNeDeStRoYeR

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
Ah, that sounds a bit weird lol
My dropbox gallery: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/30764657/1/Ponies?h=988a91
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you�re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dwarf Fortress bloodline game
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
it's fun and chaotic if you look at what happened to boatmurdered, different play styles, different interests, different projects, all to leave their mark on the fortress.

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dwarf Fortress succession game
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
Changing map because my game got corrupted, better before then during.

Offline Technical Abbreviations

• Acolyte Of The Carp God Baby
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dwarf Fortress succession game - LFM/Starts 08/01/11
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:28:37 AM »
LOSING IS FUN!!

We will start going down the list on august 1st.  Until we get more people to sign up, the list will be repeated.

If we have any players here I might set up a succession game.  Anyone in?

A succession game is when the player will play for 1 year (In game time) and name the expedition leader after him.  The next player will appoint a new expedition leader and repeat the process.  This goes on until people give up or the fortress fails.

Rules

- Do intentionally destroy the fortress!
- Have fun!
For those who have no idea what Dwarf Fortress is...

Poll!

Where shall we settle! =D

New world, I like the volcano.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
*Don't worry, unless you like ASCII graphics you can use a texture pack*

And a few interesting stories of past succession games done by communities like Something Awful

-Boatmurdered http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/  *VERY LONG, VERY GOOD*

-Headshoots http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Headshoots/ *Moderately long, pretty good"

-Syrup Leaf http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Syrupleaf/  "If you thought Boatmurdered was long..."

Best utility to get started

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

2 Year terms everyone!

1. Johanan
2. (My brother loves dwarf fortress and is quite good at it sooo, my brother, he will use my acct to post his records.)
3. Open
4. Open
5. Open
6. Open
7. Open
8. Open
9. Open
10. Open
-
-
-

Lets take this ten years at a time.  People may have more then one term, but not in a row.

back when i played the game, i managed to make 50 warriors start eating children in an hour
Spoiler for :D:
\\r\\nWe live in the explosion of a bomb that has not yet finished exploding. You and everything you love are debris. Have a good day ^_^\\\'\\\'\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: Who is talking?\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: They sound hot\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: The background\\r\\nDegtyarev: They are 11 :l

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:17:38 AM »
Well, we are still looking for people to play, if your interested just tell me.  I want to try to get a rotation of at least 5.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:23:00 PM by Johanan »

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 01:14:04 AM »
Chapter 1: The founding

Lets look for a spot...

Ah this looks like a good spot to settle our new town.  Deep soil, metals, and, flux stone?  I think this will be an interesting settlement.

Lets see...
 2 Miners
 1 farmer
 1 woodcutter
 2 engravers
 1 farmer/brewer

And enough supplies to last us long enough until a base is set up.

*The fortress of "MoralMirrors" is founded!*

-1st of granite- 1051 Spring

ALRIGHT, LETS SEE WHAT HE HAVE TO WORK WI-

fuck...

God damn snow...

Ahh, my miners hard at work to strike the earth for the glory of the Mountainhomes!

-1st of Slate- 1051

Update to begin this month, the dwarves are hard at work to begin construction, one workshop, a wood storage, a food storage, and a refuse pile.  Still no water source seeing as the area is a frozen hell.  Well, my dwarves can deal with being drunk and happy rather than sober and sad.  A happy dwarf is a productive dwarf!

Well, it's been nearly 2 weeks now and for the first time in this month, I stepped outside to see...

Grass!  The land is thawing at last!

-4th of Felsite- 1051 Late spring

Well, a few days late on the journal entry but we have finally gotten started on the bedrooms, as well as a mine.  Doors are in protection to keep creatures out and I am thinking about appointing a broker and bookkeeper in the next few days.  I'll keep posted on any events.

-1st of Hematite- 1051 Summer

Summer has arrived and production is going well, I have managed to get a field set up just in time so my dwarves will have food and booze for the cold months this year.

-1st of Malachite- 1051 Midsummer

Farm is growing, brewery is a brewing, everything looks so great.  No migrants yet, I need some extra hands to get dirty around here.  They would come in handy with the farm, brewing, and even defense of the fort.  I don't expect an attack to come soon, but I'm not completely sure of my guts either.

All in all, a short entry, bookkeeper was assigned, broker was assigned, and my tomb is being constructed as a memorial to my reign.  This month marks that my term is a quarter of the way over.  I better speed things up.

Well, I finally got migrants, only 5, but some helping hands will be good for the fortress.

-1st of Galena- 1051 Late Summer

The fortress hasn't changed much, the migrants are being settled in.

No new map for this update.

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dwarf Fortress succession game - In progress, people may still join!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
-1st of Limestone- Early Autumn

Autumn has arrived and I am struggling with the food supply, my dwarves thought it would be funny to continue turning all the food into booze and so we have very little food to go around.  My tomb is almost complete though and this will keep my dwarves busy.

-1st of Moonstone- Early winter 1051

It's beena  while since my last report and the fortress is slowly growing, I have finished mining a second area and am almost done with my tomb.  Migrants have arrived once again and have brought more farmers, as a result my food production is once again booming and booze is in good supply.  This winter will not be so harsh now.

-3rd of opal- 1051 mid winter

Tomb is nearly complete just need to put the final touches, this will be my second to last journal entry for this term.  Below is a map of the tomb.

-1st of granite- Early spring 1052

An administrator has arrived from the mountainhomes and is here to hold the fort for the next year.  With this last log, I hand over control of the fortress to administrator Urist.

Offline Dordan

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
I would join but I have absolutely NO CLUE how to navigate around anything or play.

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 03:25:15 AM »
You just need to look at some of the tutorials and whatnot.  I'm about to update the thread with the next entries.  Then Justin, Conranos, and Degtyarev (If he's still gonna play)  If no one else joins, we'll just cycle.

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »
1st of granite

Upon arrival to this frozen hole, i immediately reorganize the storage areas, turning the former planned defensive area into more storage, and

rerouting it through the back of the fort

in addition I've created a jewelers workshop and brought precious gems from the shaft. Hopefully we can trade this for iron or bronze for use in

weapons and armor...

22nd of granite

oh dear god...

25 migrants??

how am i suposed to house and feed these losers?

24th of slate

we've made considerable progress on the fortress, farming and workshops have been expanded all though housing remains communal, we have finished the

new defensive staging area and are beggining works on a barracks, one of our dwarves has taken to a fey mood... it appears we do not have what armok

asks of him... this can only end in blood.

13th of felsite

Tetrahedrite! our miners have happily and enthusiatically informed me we have struck metal! i can see it now, a vast powerful militia! hammers and

armor ready to slay any threat which beseiges them!

15th of hematite

our fey little friend has taken a bar of metal and begun making a construction... i hope he build something useful for the grief hes given me...

A silver anvil! perfect! now we can have 2 metalsmiths to forge our weapons of war!

now we just need metal...

2nd malachite

in absensce of iron our military will be outfitted with copper armor and weaponry, ive ordered the commission of four sets of armor as well as four war

hammers

13th malachite

four dwarfs have been recruited into the militia and are calling themselves the crystalline mobs, were well on our way to having a defensable fortress.

24th malachite

the militia is organized and armored training is underway

19th galena

uh oh

he's possessed...

he made a copper boot...

I'm not even going to describe something so worthless, perhaps the militia will find use for it.

14th limestone

I've begun construction on my tomb... I'll show that previous fool how to do it

21st timber

a caravan has arrived, we are bringing jewels and other crafts to the depot as we speak, most likely will we trade them for all they have.

3rd moonstone

suck on it former leader

1st of granite

suck it hard

engraving is set to continue for the next week or so, out of courtesy as i have not defiled my predecessors tomb i ask my successor to let the

engraving run its course, it shant take very long.

overview

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:31:59 PM by Johanan »

Offline [FPSN]Bokslag

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »
Would join, Love DF... but... 1. I'm on vaca with ma laptop, and 2. I SUCK at DF. ( I mean like, Really, Really much. )
C45.CCA.APEX-01.725 says "<:: It's not a skirt."
C45.CCA.APEX-01.725 says "<:: It's a dress."

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
Lol, well, if you joined, you would come in more then a week from now(Maybe)

And we really just need people who can manage the fort, mine, defend against sieges, etc...

however, if you're scared you might unleash a megabeast or HFS, or can't protect against a siege, that's perfectly fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal