Author Topic: Is CG 'Dying'?  (Read 10798 times)

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Is CG 'Dying'?
« on: May 27, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
Ever since I resigned as admin a while ago, I've been in the background, coming on the forums to see what's what and to post on the odd occasion. I've also been inadvertently observing the slow decline of players. This doesn't just appear to be the normal fluctuation in active player numbers. I think it has been slowly declining for a while. People don't post as much any more and if they do it's generally in Spam, and even then there aren't that many posts.

This isn't a rant thread because I'm not criticising anyone. I'm just concerned because I still like this community and I really don't want to see it decline, or worse; disappear.

Am I just being paranoid in thinking there has been a steady decline in player numbers, and it's not the normal fluctuations? Or is anyone else thinking the same thing?
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Is CG 'Dying'?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:08:16 PM »
Easily explained.
We used to have 3 major player bases for 3 major servers. HRP, HL2RP andd OCRP.
Ever since OCRP died and HL2RP was put down those two player bases left or are lurking in the background just like you do.

I'm sure we will recover. CGRP is in development, HL2RP just had a bad time of the year to relaunch and HRP2 will soon enough go into development.
Once we got all servers running and the time of the year is right, we'll be back in business.

<::[[ Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2 ]]::>
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Pirate Robot

• DEAD
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:17:19 PM »
No it's just less and less people actually going online or posting or even being part of the community. The community is only growing stronger  ::)

Hence my profile image.

But seriously, this is the only community I've actually stuck with and I'm happy to still be here even though I don't give it much time nowadays or post much. I  may not have made any friends hahaha, but I don't care about friends. Man if only HL2RP could come back to life, then just maybe....maybe...this community won't die!

Who were those guys....YankeeSamurai and Burning Bullet....those guys made HL2RP CCA amazing!!! I totally forgot about them..

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
Once we got all servers running and the time of the year is right, we'll be back in business.

<::[[ Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2 ]]::>
I hope you're right. Until that time though, what happens? Rofl had to basically whore his areshole out just to pay for the box this month. Will that keep going on until all the development is done?
Made by HilariousPlayer

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:07:48 PM »
Alright, I'll take a minute to respond to this on behalf of Catalyst-Gaming.

We do understand the concern for CG's future, player count is obviously lower than history. This is troubling to our members as well as the staff. Catalyst-Gaming is going on 4 years old soon; arguably one of the longest running communities based on Garry's Mod. We have had our down periods, and this is one of them. Catalyst-Gaming is confident in our ability to perform in these situations and perhaps a level of transparency is good about now.

You all probably know about our efforts with CGRP and HRP2. Our development staff is hard at work trying to get these gamemodes out the door, however work can only happen so fast. You have probably also seen Roflwaffle asking for extra donations towards the end of every month. It should be obvious, but if it's not, Catalyst-Gaming is a bit short on funds due to the decreased player activity. We are beginning to feel the pressure of maintaining our overhead costs while at the same time trying to expand and develop new games. It's important to bear with us while we try.

With that said, I feel I need to stress the fact that Catalyst-Gaming is not in danger of shutting down, however we have had discussions about downsizing while we attempt to bring down costs. You can play on our servers confident that your hard work and digital items won't be made worthless in the foreseeable future.

As a final word, I'd like to speak for myself. Believe me when I say that we're working very hard to ensure accessibility to our services and game servers. We have backup plans in case we really can't make a payment. I assure you that the website will never be shut down and we will find ways to keep services online even if we have to sacrifice a bit of luxury or performance.

Offline JF

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »

We do understand the concern for CG's future, player count is obviously lower than history. This is troubling to our members as well as the staff. Catalyst-Gaming is going on 4 years old soon; arguably one of the longest running communities based on Garry's Mod. We have had our down periods, and this is one of them. Catalyst-Gaming is confident in our ability to perform in these situations and perhaps a level of transparency is good about now.

You all probably know about our efforts with CGRP and HRP2. Our development staff is hard at work trying to get these gamemodes out the door, however work can only happen so fast. You have probably also seen Roflwaffle asking for extra donations towards the end of every month. It should be obvious, but if it's not, Catalyst-Gaming is a bit short on funds due to the decreased player activity. We are beginning to feel the pressure of maintaining our overhead costs while at the same time trying to expand and develop new games. It's important to bear with us while we try.

With that said, I feel I need to stress the fact that Catalyst-Gaming is not in danger of shutting down, however we have had discussions about downsizing while we attempt to bring down costs. You can play on our servers confident that your hard work and digital items won't be made worthless in the foreseeable future.

As a final word, I'd like to speak for myself. Believe me when I say that we're working very hard to ensure accessibility to our services and game servers. We have backup plans in case we really can't make a payment. I assure you that the website will never be shut down and we will find ways to keep services online even if we have to sacrifice a bit of luxury or performance.
I think every member of CG appreciates how hard the development and administrative staff works. I am certainly one of them. Though it's good to know that even if shit hits the fan, CG will still be standing. :)
Made by HilariousPlayer

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:33:30 PM »

i remember you or rtlk told me back when CG was at it's "top" that cg made over 1k a month from donations, combining HL2RP, OCRP1.5, and HRP.

i know for a fact that keeping a server up does not cost 1k a month

where did all the money go? roflwaffle spent it for his own well being?
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »
you'd be suprised. server bill, vps for the website, dos protection, taxes etc adds up to about 800$ a month. that doesn't include paying devs
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
It's not a secret that CG is at a low point right now. I know that there hasn't been a HRP update in a long time, and believe me when I say that I work on the next one when I can, but these past few months life has been hitting me hard. Expect the next update soon since school is out.

We've been through this many times. We're not going anywhere.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 10:27:49 PM »
you'd be suprised. server bill, vps for the website, dos protection, taxes etc adds up to about 800$ a month. that doesn't include paying devs

"paying devs"

holy shit

you are a jokster mr roflwaffle

that legit made me laugh im not even kidding

thank you for that, thank you  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-

It's not a secret that CG is at a low point right now. I know that there hasn't been a HRP update in a long time, and believe me when I say that I work on the next one when I can, but these past few months life has been hitting me hard. Expect the next update soon since school is out.

We've been through this many times. We're not going anywhere.

Well I'm looking forward to HRP2. The current HRP kinda just lost my interest so hopefully HRP2 will really spice it back up. Keep up the good work :)

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 11:49:23 PM »
Look at the players who post on a daily basis here. Cow, Nicknero, Abbott aka Teitoku Ippan, myself, and many others. We've all been here for 2-3+ years. We know things are really quiet right now with not much life. But we all still post and talk about shit like its any other day at CG. As long as we stick around and new players come and go or better yet, stick around too, we still have a community. A community doesn't just die. The owner gives up and that's something I know waffle wont be doing anytime soon.

So yes, when you look at the other communities we've known in the past years such as Orange Cosmos or Pulsar Effect, it does look like CG is dying. But its not because CG is different. That's why I'm still with this community and make maps for it without commission because its FUCKING AWESOME!

P.S. Nobody other then CG gets maps for free. Too many people ask for shit then never need it so I have half completed projects out of the wazoo in my archive. Money usually makes people think twice and commit.

Offline putin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »
If rofl quits i'll just buy CG. i got this guys

Offline Stevob21

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »
CG simply isn't dying, this community is massive and I've been with it since way before the free GOLD member period.

There has been a few times when we have dropped to a point where donations are barely covering bills but we spend time on minimizing the bills and pushing through, It takes dedicated staff members to keep this going and that is what we have got.

The majority of paid developers are doing things for free currently as we are dedicated to keeping our members happy, I for one was contracted to make CGRP but I offered to keep my work free until the community is in a far better stance when the game mode everyone wants releases; CGRP.

I'll come out publicly and say that CGRP's planned release is before UK summer holidays, this will be the best time to release a gamemode and the sheer hype will bring everyone back.

Offline Jeff2307

•    
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 10:08:11 AM »
As Nick said, the gamemodes in development will probably bring a lot of players back to the community... I hope at least  :D

Also, I didn't know the box actually costed about $800 a month... mind = blow, 10/10

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
CG simply isn't dying, this community is massive and I've been with it since way before the free GOLD member period.

There has been a few times when we have dropped to a point where donations are barely covering bills but we spend time on minimizing the bills and pushing through, It takes dedicated staff members to keep this going and that is what we have got.

The majority of paid developers are doing things for free currently as we are dedicated to keeping our members happy, I for one was contracted to make CGRP but I offered to keep my work free until the community is in a far better stance when the game mode everyone wants releases; CGRP.

I'll come out publicly and say that CGRP's planned release is before UK summer holidays, this will be the best time to release a gamemode and the sheer hype will bring everyone back.

And when is the UK summer? For Muricans we get out in early June(for the most part, some get out at June18th), for example I get out on June 4th.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal