Author Topic: Food for thought; Voting Systems  (Read 4426 times)

Offline [CA] KiwieeEh

• View Profile
    • Awards
Food for thought; Voting Systems
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
So I went on a bit of a rant about potential voting systems and why the current "most votes" system might be flawed.
I've decided to pretty much copy the entire thing into here because I'm interested in knowing people thoughts on this, so here:

EDIT: Food for thought

For reference, the tally as it stands:

Another thing I'd like to discuss as food for thought, probably not the place and I'll make a thread elsewhere is your vote tallying system.
as it stands right now C45 has the most tallied votes, however, only half of the current voters want C8.
If you "want to keep everyone happy" you need a majority vote (50%<) to change the map or only use this one to decide the two front runners and rerun a vote with only C45 or C8 again.

Why?
Well lets think of it as a two-way representation.
at the time of this posting C8 has 50% of the votes. This means 50% of the people do want C8 or want other alternatives
So? What's the big problem.
Well people use "votes" to see what "most of the people want". Am I right? As a community you should go with what most people want imo.

Well, if someone were to say, add a vote to some other option. Say, C45 or any of the others, then, at the moment in time, C8 would still be the front runner. it has most votes, surely?
No.

At this time it upset the 50% balance so that C8 now has less than 50% of the votes.
Again, looking at the binary perspective, things have changed.
sure, just under half of the people want C8, but now over half of the community want an alternative. Could this mean that given only the option of C8 or C45, C45 would win by a higher margin by way of, say, "compromise"? Possibly.

So, just my food for thought.
Should this be a preliminary poll to decide two options to battle it out in a final vote over the weekend?
I think so, but that's just my opinion.

Using a graphic to represent my ideas;
Recently in politics in Britain this has been a hot topic, the "alternative voting system".
One of the big things that was discussed was the poll tallying. The BBC at the time made a lovely chart that I'm going to use to explain my thoughts.

For the sake of the people that don't know British politics ill use the colours rather than the party names
Imagine each of your votes counted for one square you will notice that BLUE has the Highest number of individual votes. The current system, and this vote (or any vote), means that this makes blue victorious with 234. Great for them.

BUT WAIT

If we apply a PR system, or using the binary explanation I said before, the people against blue are significantly higher.
If we add red, yellow, and grey up together. you notice that their votes equal 414

What this means is that blue, although at a quick glance has the "most" votes. They have only 36% of the total votes

as a large scale representation. What this means is that 64% of people don't want blue in power. So is it really fair to say that blue wins on a majority vote?

I feel although it's nowhere near important. I think it's something to consider in large-scale community votes like this.

Like I said, the easiest way to fix this problem is to run another poll using the two front runners which gives you a simple %want and %don't want decision.

So, what's your opinion on voting systems? Do you agree with how they are, or do you think the system is flawed and could be changed?
"If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.
I've got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one."

"Have a great evening, sorry, maple syrup, eh, moose, and ice hockey to you!"

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna' be my year."

Offline Keskjer

• Catalyst Gaming
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Food for thought; Voting Systems
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
Yes, the system looking at it in your perspective is relatively flawed, and that the way you explain it shows that it is, broken, in some aspect. In others it shows a majority of people wanting 1 thing. Let me try to explain the other side: gunna use your pic.

So here we a 33 people all wanting C8 (1 item) then we have another 33 people thats split into 3 other maps (3 items). The voting system is used so we can have a majority ruling on 1 item. Though the other 50% want something else, that 50% is split up into 3 other items, how can we accommodate the 50% thats split to 3 vs the other 50% thats not split at all? We can't, we just have to narrow down the 50% thats split till we have a majority of 1 common item to go against the other majority of 1 item (two biggest power duke it out till one winner)

I just went brain dead for a few min. I'll come back and update my post more when I feel smart again.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 04:07:08 PM »
i have a feeling this was only brought up because the map you guys voted for is losing in the polls, i doubt it wouldve been brought up at all if city 45 was winning over city 8

Offline [CA] KiwieeEh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:26:18 PM »
It's something that's been in my head for a long time aboot.
Although I have no problem with using C8 (fuck me it's architecture is beautiful and have you seen the APC Hold?!) it was my look at the polls results, with C8 having exactly 50% of the votes that brought it to light in my head and I thought I might as well have shared my views on it.
I don't particularly have a problem with either and as people have said. With C8 having scope to be improved I think c8 is the way forward IMO.

Regardless, the topic of this post isn't that poll. It's the system that decides the victor of said poll. I would personally like to keep this away from being a C45/C8 debate and keep this about the voting systems and the many many many varieties that exist.
"If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.
I've got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one."

"Have a great evening, sorry, maple syrup, eh, moose, and ice hockey to you!"

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna' be my year."

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:31:46 PM »
Guess what abott, I'm sure if you voted for City45 then you would have never said that comment. Two can play at that game.

This is the way I see it: Get rid of all the other options except for City45 and C8. Force the very, very small minority to pick between the two then we will know for sure which one should win.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal