Author Topic: Upgrading my PC. Need help. :c  (Read 7951 times)

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Upgrading my PC. Need help. :c
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
Right, so my PC is just weird. Some parts are upgraded not to long ago and thus fairly new and good. But other parts are just 3 year old shit garbage that is just to slow and causes me to have a lot of issues with most games running properly.
So that's why I'm going to upgrade a few parts. Although I have NO idea what I should pick, and if everything will be compatible with each other.
So that is why I ask for help yes.

First of all, here is my current PC:
Motherboard:
ASUSTeK P7P55D Deluxe (LGA1156)
Needs to be replaced with a new motherboard that supports newer sockets for sure. I'm looking for a motherboard with at least 2 GPU slots. Read further to find out why.
Current socket support is 1156 as far as I know. While any newer/better CPU requires socket 1150.

CPU:
Intel core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
Outdated piece of shit. This is the most important part I want upgraded. But currently this one is the best one my motherboard supports. And that is why I need a new motherboard as well. I'll keep it an i7. But I need one with WAY better GHz.

Graphics:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
This video card is one of the parts I upgraded not to long ago. So it works for a while. Although I was thinking to maybe get another one of this one and run two of them in SLI. (Hence the motherboard with at least 2 slots for GPU) Although I heard some games have trouble running two video cards. That's why I'm wondering if it's possible to simply disable 1 of the 2 video cards while playing games that have trouble with it? Or is this not possible?

RAM:
16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz.
Enough for me to do my shit. For just playing games you don't need more than 8GB. But I also record, edit, and render stuff. But for that 16GB is enough. So I don't need any new RAM.

Storage:
1TB internal HDD
3TB external HDD
230GB external HDD

I'm currently looking for perhaps a bigger HDD, and maybe also a SSD where I'll put windows on and a few important things for faster booting and shit. Not sure about it yet though.

Power supply:
Not sure what I have. I thought 450W.
But I'd probably want to upgrade this as well if I plan to upgrade everything I mentioned above. Maybe I could punch it up to 750W or something. I'm sure that'd enough for a long while.

So, that's about all my Specs, and everything I want to upgrade.
But, now the question is: To WHAT shall I upgrade it... I have no idea if it comes to selecting new parts.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:47:32 AM by Nicknero1405 »
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Monkey with a gun

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Upgrading my PC. Need help. :c
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »
Just throwing my little PC knowledge out there.

If you have a 450W power-supply you should probably think about upgrading that soon, especially if you're going to be upgrading the rest of your PC. Namely because the GTX 670 has a minimum power supply of 500W, so I assume it's mostly running on fumes, if you upgrade your computer without going for a better power supply first it's most definitely going to die out on you.

Make sure to buy a reputable power supply, nothing cheap from china or anything. From a company that makes reliable power supplies (Corsair springs to mind) Oh and don't just go for 500W power supply because the 670 or something requires minimum 500, you want a little above that. A 750W power-supply is somewhat overkill if you're just running one card, and you can use the money you save by getting say a 600 or 650 and buy from a very reliable power supply manufacturer.

I would highly recommend heading over to www.reddit.com/r/buildapc and read some posts or make your own, there's a lot of people who know a lot more about PCs are are willing to suggest things then here most likely.

A good power supply unit can last you several years and is a very good investment. Don't cheap out on it 'yo. If you do you might find your PC not turning on and making weird sounds a few months or a year from now and thinking why didn't I listen to Monkey.

Oh and I wouldn't worry about upgrading your 670 right now. The GTX 670 is still a fantastic card (Only 1 year old). If you think it's not performing up to scruff right now, it's almost definitely because of your old CPU bottle-necking its performance. A 670 is perfectly fine for every game out right now, I would wait to see what's going to happen with the 800 series (probably sometime late this year/early next) before thinking about upgrading your 670.

As you've said your CPU is definitely the most important thing to upgrade right now (Get a decent power supply with it though!). You might also want to look into getting some better RAM. I know, right "But Monkey I have 16gb" right, but like graphics cards not all RAM is created equal so to speak, and your ram only has a clock speed of 668Mhz, that's certainly contributing to a slow computer. But if you don't have the money focus on just the CPU  and Power Supply unit for now (and motherboard if it's apparently not compatible with the latest 'stuff).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:03:28 PM by Monkey with a gun »

Offline Jeff2307

•    
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »
I've got 2x gtx770 in sli and the only regret I have is not enough VRAM

The issues with SLI have been mostly fixed for most games but you can turn it off so it should not be a problem.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »
Money is not a problem at all. I have enough money to technically buy a complete new top tier PC. But most of the stuff I currently have is still pretty good. That's why it's just a waste of money to buy a whole new PC. Hence I just keep it at upgrading whatever is required.

Monkey, I never said I would upgrade my GTX670. I said I might buy a SECOND one besides the one I already have, to run them in SLI.

And the thing is, at first I thought I already had a 750W power supply when I build my current PC 2/3 years ago, with the idea of it being useful when upgrading in the future. But my bro claimed I had like 400/450W instead (He helped me building the PC back then.) So I don't know what is really is. CBA to turn off my PC and check in the inside. And I don't know if I can look it up somewhere on the PC itself.

But yeah the most important things I absolutely want upgraded currently, is the motherboard and CPU And power supply if required.

Optionals are the second GTX670, and a bigger HDD and/or SSD,
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline ReillyP

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
no point in keeping any of that apart from the G card. I would suggest using this PC for things like net browsing or coin mining now and make  a new PC. If you prefer AMD or Nvidia/Intel please tell us. Once I have an idea of your price point I can probably find you a reasonable PC in that range. The reason I say to upgrade the ram is that it is very low speed compared to most gaming grade ram that is about 3 times that speed. The power supply would be fine for awhile as that card takes no where near 500 watts but I would upgrade it to a more energy efficient model and save yourself in the long run. If you are only going for mid/high graphics and really don't care TOO much about speeds you are working at I would really suggest to keep the card and just get an I5.

If you are planning on getting a new card or process please wait for the next gen.
I slay demon and demonic accessories.

Offline ReconPWN??????

• Reconfag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
Buying a second GTX 670 is actually not that bad of an idea if you're willing to deal with SLI and its handicaps, which are arguably ironed out by now.
Spoiler for Hiden:
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1542&gid2=880&compare=geforce-gtx-670-sli-vs-geforce-gtx-780 
Here is some information I found about how that set up compares to a more expensive and modern card.

Like Monkey said it would be wise to invest in a new powersupply. I would suggest a modular one so you can pick and choose which power cords you want in your PC and save space where a second graphics card would occupy.

Just to give you my two cents I bought a 840 EVO SDD and the "speed" boost that everyone claims to have over a regular HDD did not impress me in the slightest. I also didn't hesitate to return it and get ~$200 back.

The motherboard and the processor is an easy find, obviously you should stick with intel since you're already using their products and experienced with their motherboard layouts. Just do some research and watch some benchmarks to make sure you know what you're getting.

Also make sure you have some pretty good airflow in your case because those two cards will heat up like no ones business.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:38:44 PM by ReconPWN?????? »

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
But I need one with WAY better GHz.

thats not really how it works

I bought a 840 EVO SDD and the "speed" boost that everyone claims to have over a regular HDD did not impress me in the slightest

did you actually install windows on it or just expect everything to speed up by installing it
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:41:11 PM by smt »

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
I bought a 840 EVO SDD and the "speed" boost that everyone claims to have over a regular HDD did not impress me in the slightest

did you actually install windows on it or just expect everything to speed up by installing it
You amaze me.

Obviously I put the OS on the SSD along with part of my steam library and a handful of other programs that I wanted on it at the time.

your pc is obviously refusing to do what most people with ssd's do (boot from cold off to logged on in like 5-10 seconds) + load programs just as fast,     dunno why you wouldnt be seeing the same results as 99% of other ssd users

Offline ReconPWN??????

• Reconfag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »
There were results, obviously my startup time and overall navigation speed did improve. But I was not impressed with the speed and as I saw it was not worth the amount I payed for it.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »
Just checked in my PC. Turns out I have a 700W power supply. So I guess that should already be enough for whatever plans I have. Right?

Now then, I'll see if I can find a good intel motherboard and CPU to start off with.

Offline Stevob21

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:03:53 AM »
A few simple upgrades, a new Motherboard which supports newer Intel 4--- Series CPUS and 2-Way+ SLI.

Upgrade the CPU to something with more GHZ and more L2 + L3 Cache, seems like your current one has a "Smart" way of sharing it. (It's always best having more dedicated) - The more L2 cache you have shared between cores means a vastly improved speed boost, Having 16MB (8MB L2 - 8MB L3) split between 4 cores will feel around 2-3x faster.

SLI That GPU and have a pretty decent CPU and you'll be laughing, I have a strong feeling that a SLI setup with your current GPU will be bottle-necked by the Current CPU.

Also, I'm hoping you have mistakenly wrote this part or you are getting the data from CPU-Z (since that shows the true MHZ before the DDR doubling);

16GB DDR3 @ 668MHz.
As that low of a MHZ is going to severely bottleneck almost everything on your system, DDR3 should be running around 1600-1866MHZ. (Higher MHZ RAM also vastly improves video rendering speeds)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:11:00 AM by Stevob21 »

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
Yeah I wrote that down by mistake. It's supposed to be 1333MHz, seeing as it were 2 sticks of 8GB each at 668MHZ. And thus 1333 total.

Anyway, here are my currently selected parts which I'm probably going for:

Motherboard:
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO, socket 1150
https://www.alternate.nl/ASUS/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO,_socket_1150_moederbord/html/product/1092204/?

CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K @ 3,9GHz
https://www.alternate.nl/Intel%28R%29/Core%28TM%29_i7-4770K/html/product/1063382/?

SSD:
ADATA ASP900S3-256GM-C SSD
https://www.alternate.nl/ADATA/ASP900S3-256GM-C_SSD/html/product/988421/?

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »
would be better to upgrade to a better single GPU than to upgrade to dual atm, no point in upgrading to dual gpu config until you are at really high-end gpu plus saves power and dual gpu can be pretty iffy with some games and have problems, or just not be supported at all

tl;dr: single really high-end gpu over dual gpu

Offline Jeff2307

•    
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:56:39 AM »
Might wanna conciser the Intel I5-4670k, don't think, well it's an I5 so it must be a lot worse than the i7, this isn't the case.

It's actually (not in all cases but most) better for gaming since it doesn't use hypertreading, which the i7 does.

AND it's cheaper so you have a bit more money to invest in say, your motherboard. Just my 2 cents. Also, great side to order your PC from, got mine from that site as well.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 08:44:53 PM »
Well, I bought the parts I mentioned above, and HOLY DONKEY BALL SHIT this is soooo much better!
Fresh windows install on the SSD, while keeping all other shit on the HDD. Best thing ever!
I don't even know what ReconPWN did wrong, but the difference between HDD and SSD on startup is just... *BONER*

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal