Author Topic: Sickness and Ailments.  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Napoleon IV

• do you feel the simplicity yet
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Sickness and Ailments.
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:10:42 PM »
Hey

I think that every so often there should be a sickness roll for everyone on the server, as decided by an admin.

You would roll, and all depending on the season, you would gain a sickness, as undernourishment and lack of proper medicine, this would make sense to be rolled every three weeks.

1-90, nothing serious
90-92, common cold
93-95, weak flu
96, flu
97-99, tuberculosis, mild pneumonia, infection. All non fatal, but severely hindering.
100, major tuberculosis, fatal pneumonia, sepsis. Without treatment, you will die. This makes doctor characters more than just bone mechanics, because anyone can do that with a little bit of training.

There could also be vaccines put in place that make the 96-100 place not as dangerous to players. The common cold rarely kills people.

The roll function isn't exactly the most popular, but nobody will ever play to lose tuberculosis.
I'm open to change this plenty, just don't all out dog on it please.

Offline Tyrex

• we won spam
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Sickness and Ailments.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
I actually really like this idea but I don't know how it would be implemented
There is no reason people should never get sick in a crowded city like the one we are in

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »
I'd rather see people do this themselves as there's hundreds of factors that  affect your contractility of a communicable disease, as well as other ailments such as heart attacks, strokes, pulmonary embolism, copd, etc.

This gives me a good idea though. As I move through the pathophysiology segment of my course, I'll be making a guide on illnesses for rp. Not quite sure how people will decide if they get sick though.

Offline Napoleon IV

• do you feel the simplicity yet
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »
Thanks. I just know that most, if not all, would never actually sickness RP for themselves.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »
If someone had reminded me, I would have gladly RPed catching the seasonal cold.  The CWU could even get in on it doing an annual mandatory community vaccination once flu season rolls around.  Of course, we need to keep an eye out that some idiot doesn't decide to RP an ordinary cold as a zombie virus (like what happened EVERY TIME someone RPed getting sick...).

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:42:06 PM »
I'd rather see people do this themselves as there's hundreds of factors that  affect your contractility of a communicable disease, as well as other ailments such as heart attacks, strokes, pulmonary embolism, copd, etc.

This gives me a good idea though. As I move through the pathophysiology segment of my course, I'll be making a guide on illnesses for rp. Not quite sure how people will decide if they get sick though.

yeah fuck rolling

i agree though there needs to be more rp like this it would be cool if an admin made a new char rp'd having a flu and spread it around the city

maybe just say in OOC (hello u got the flu u gonna rp tha tnow)

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:47:18 PM »
Still, people don't just show the symptoms instantly.  There's usually an incubation period of about two weeks (Correct me if I'm wrong, Statua), so people can keep that in mind and start RPing when the time is right.

Or we can just fuck all that and skip to the part where we can't leave home without a tissue.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
Still, people don't just show the symptoms instantly.  There's usually an incubation period of about two weeks (Correct me if I'm wrong, Statua), so people can keep that in mind and start RPing when the time is right.

Or we can just fuck all that and skip to the part where we can't leave home without a tissue.
It varies depending on the persons immune response and the strain. But its usually at minimum 24 hours.

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:49:29 PM »
We've had cases where actual diseases spread through the city before, and I must say, those were some pretty cool roleplay experiences (for NOVA units lmfao, it sucked ass to be a citizen in those cases). If people want to RP getting sick, more power to them. But I don't agree that rolling should be implemented to give you a disease.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:12:20 AM »
rolling for a disease makes no sense, maybe you could roll for how long before you get rid of it, but still your numbers don't really make sense

unless i got it wrong, you tried to make it so rolling a 100 is pretty rare as its really serious, but you have the same chance of rolling that as you do a "normal" flu, and you have more a chance rolling "97-99" or "93-95", to me having the 100 option should be really rare while all the others should slowly get more and more common, but with the roll function you can't really do that (which is why i'm against rolling in 99% of situations, who's to say i got a really major disease, the script with an rng?)

also i could have just completely misunderstood the reasons you picked those numbers

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 01:23:01 AM »
Sorry to burst your bubbles, but nobody is going to RP sickness (in the minor sense like the flu). In my opinion, that's along the lines of bathroom RP. Sure, its realism, but I think that's kinda taking it to the extreme. If you wanna do it, then hey, whatever tickles your pickle, but I think a majority are not gonna do it. I know I wouldn't.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:25:56 AM by Sexy Frog »

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 03:43:23 AM »
Sorry to burst your bubbles, but nobody is going to RP sickness (in the minor sense like the flu). In my opinion, that's along the lines of bathroom RP. Sure, its realism, but I think that's kinda taking it to the extreme. If you wanna do it, then hey, whatever tickles your pickle, but I think a majority are not gonna do it. I know I wouldn't.

I agree with this, it would simply be a bit too much to force people to RP this stuff based on a roll. If people really want to RP something like this, they'd do it on their own instead of needing to be forced to.

I am against there being a roll, atleast. I wouldn't mind having a something-annual event where people are encouraged to RP sickness

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »
dont need rolling for anything in serious rp, if people want to roleplay an illness like flu etc then they can roleplay it themselves instead of it being forced onto them

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal