Author Topic: Possible Changes to the CCA and OTA  (Read 6670 times)

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Possible Changes to the CCA and OTA
« on: January 03, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »
As the HL2RP veterans can remember, the CCA was far from perfect bad terribad FUBAR.  Here are some suggestions I thought up to make the CCA less OP.  Some of these have already been mentioned in the thread in General Discussion.

1.  Remove augmentations entirely.  The CCA does not need them and they only serve to enable elitism and Fail RP.  I will make a small exception to the OTA, as it makes sense for them to have heightened reflexes and a reasonable amount of superhuman strength, but we don't need robocops who can lift up cars like toys and hear/comprehend whispered conversations from 20 meters away.  Removed.

2.  If R&D makes a comeback, it needs to be populated by people who won't use it as an excuse to pull half-baked spy gadgets or super weapons out of their asses.  R&D should be about improving RP, not destroying it.

3.  Stop treating the CCA as a military organization.  Even in the actual source material, it was plainly obvious that the metrocops were never outfitted nor trained in counter-insurgency.  Their job was to keep the citizenry in line and occasionally bust up smuggling rings.  If rebels are located inside the city, then it should be left to the OTA.  Also tied in with this suggestion is hand-to-hand combat training.  Sure, you could simply play to lose in spite of the fact that you and every officer knows kung fu, but seeing as close to no one practices it and that very few people in the city would have the training or the strength to take on a CCA unit, it doesn't seem viable to have it.

That's as much as I can think of at the moment, I'll update with any more suggestions that come to mind.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:20:02 AM by Hazard Time »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Possible Changes to the CCA and OTA
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:58:18 PM »
In hl2 the cps used smgs as well as their pistols. In some of the radio chatter I recall there being something about an elite civil protection squad too. Having an elite squad at the start will be more beneficial then having ota which will hardly be used. This elite team can do standard patrols when not doing anything important.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
In hl2 the cps used smgs as well as their pistols. In some of the radio chatter I recall there being something about an elite civil protection squad too. Having an elite squad at the start will be more beneficial then having ota which will hardly be used. This elite team can do standard patrols when not doing anything important.

sounds pretty much like ota but using a cca division instead

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:30 PM »
Ya basically. The only difference is they can patrol the plaza like other ground units. Maybe it could be temporary until we get big enough to actually need our own ota.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:42:56 AM »

I'm fine with there being an elite counter-insurgency squad until we are ready to launch OTA, but I don't want to see it be a regular thing.  I remember the CPs with SMGs from HL2, but they struck me more as a paramilitary force who were commissioned to conduct dangerous patrols through unregulated parts of the city.  I can best equate them to the Russian OMON police units: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMON

What I mean to say is that we should not lose sight of the fact that the CCA is a constabulary organization, and their priority is to keep order.

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Board Moderator
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:05:43 AM »

I'm fine with there being an elite counter-insurgency squad until we are ready to launch OTA, but I don't want to see it be a regular thing.  I remember the CPs with SMGs from HL2, but they struck me more as a paramilitary force who were commissioned to conduct dangerous patrols through unregulated parts of the city.  I can best equate them to the Russian OMON police units: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMON

What I mean to say is that we should not lose sight of the fact that the CCA is a constabulary organization, and their priority is to keep order.
The fire power of constabulary organizations typically increases dependent on the crime risk they face. In historical oppressive regimes, police had higher fire power; for example, the Volkspolizei in East Germany were given sub-machine guns and rifles when serving in areas likely to be targets of resistance attacks. It should be no different here.

Post Auto-Merged: January 04, 2014, 01:10:14 AM
Also, just because Statua does not want R&D to come back, doesn't mean that it won't. If you have a suggestion for it, then feel free to post it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:10:35 AM by Ricky »
Live free or die

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 02:27:02 AM »
The fire power of constabulary organizations typically increases dependent on the crime risk they face. In historical oppressive regimes, police had higher fire power; for example, the Volkspolizei in East Germany were given sub-machine guns and rifles when serving in areas likely to be targets of resistance attacks. It should be no different here.

Post Auto-Merged: January 04, 2014, 01:10:14 AM
Also, just because Statua does not want R&D to come back, doesn't mean that it won't. If you have a suggestion for it, then feel free to post it.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the CCA being equipped to handle small insurrections, I just don't want too much reliance put on them as it was quite clear in HL2 that metrocops were viewed as expendable tools.  I'm also trying to make it so that CPs are no longer viewed as walking tanks with martial arts skills who can take on a group of citizens by themselves (However those armored facemasks did help discourage lolpunchers).  If I want anything to come out of this, I would prefer it if citizens actually had a legitimate chance instead of CPs having to P2L out of pity.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 02:28:48 AM »
it was quite clear in HL2 that metrocops were viewed as expendable tools.

this is the reason why hl2rp in general is stale and boring, cca rp is just the place you get too and never leave, your cca units should always be at risk of being Pk'd not just nlr/tk even though no one wants that

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:04:36 AM »
Actually I would like to see r&d come back. I was just under the impression nobody wanted it back.

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:16:13 AM »
this is the reason why hl2rp in general is stale and boring, cca rp is just the place you get too and never leave, your cca units should always be at risk of being Pk'd not just nlr/tk even though no one wants that

i will change this

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 06:15:55 AM »
it was quite clear in HL2 that metrocops were viewed as expendable tools.

this  x 100

Units were hardly ever PKed, the only times I remember seeing units PKed was if they suicided or decided to leave CG/not play HL2RP anymore and planned an RP scenario that resulted in their IC death. CCA units need just the same chance of getting PKed in RP as the rest of the players, whether that's citizens, workers or overwatch

Also, we don't need overwatch to start out with, so I say we shouldn't have any "elite" type squad just yet, leave that up to whoever is in charge of that stuff later on, I highly doubt there is going to be needed an elite team for the first few weeks.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 04:29:29 PM »
For this "elite division", only make it so they appear when it's like Judgement wavier or something big is happening. Even then, let CP's get in on some of the action. In HL2 after you go to Eli's Lab there's tons of CP's all around, even though there's helichopters and everything, it's not JUST ota/this elite group. Oh and make PK's happen more and NLRs less. It should be switched around entirely. Instead of PK's being rare and NLRs happening as if it was nothing(Because that's the way it was before), make it NLR's being rare and PKs happening as if it was nothing. It'll stop people from being stupid and not worrying about dying because they know they'll just get an NLR.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline ???????£??Rose Nocturna???

• Kitsune Developer
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »

Razor needs to make its comeback.  And so does unit 913 :D

It served a good purpose really, acting as just standard foot troops until something higher was needed, then they would step up so that OTA wouldnt be called every twenty minutes or so.  Some of our past best units were Razors once.  Like Statua, him and I were made Razor at the exact same time. Tell me to patrol? Fuck you.  Gimme a wrench? Fuck the world!

And I would like to see a REAL R&D come out, like in the early days when I was had been a commander.  Back when Nick was the one who ran Gear.  Those days up to the days that toy stepped down, roughly, were the best R&D days I ever truly saw.  Everything after that was either dull, copy/paste, or just kinda pushed out of the way only to be performed by a couple of people that actually cared.  I for one, hated doing anything other than actually developing things to further RP, rather than just hindering it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:05:45 PM by ???????£??Rose Nocturna??? »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 11:35:18 PM »

It served a good purpose really, acting as just standard foot troops until something higher was needed, then they would step up so that OTA wouldnt be called every twenty minutes or so.  Some of our past best units were Razors once.  Like Statua, him and I were made Razor at the exact same time. Tell me to patrol? Fuck you.  Gimme a wrench? Fuck the world!

And I would like to see a REAL R&D come out, like in the early days when I was had been a commander.  Back when Nick was the one who ran Gear.  Those days up to the days that toy stepped down, roughly, were the best R&D days I ever truly saw.  Everything after that was either dull, copy/paste, or just kinda pushed out of the way only to be performed by a couple of people that actually cared.  I for one, hated doing anything other than actually developing things to further RP, rather than just hindering it.
That was my plan. When I created R&D with 399, it wasn't intended to be mechanical related. It was supposed to be research of new drugs, medical equipment WITH THE HELP OF GRID, and biological research (such as on headcrabs)

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 12:42:41 AM »

That was my plan. When I created R&D with 399, it wasn't intended to be mechanical related. It was supposed to be research of new drugs, medical equipment WITH THE HELP OF GRID, and biological research (such as on headcrabs)
That isn't a bad idea really. Be cool if R&D could do operations on headcrabs since I believe the fast ones, and poison headcrabs are changed up by the Union. Would be cool to see some RP based off of that. Possibly a couple medical units working on one, studying it, preforming dissections

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal