Author Topic: The big change! Computer smarties come forth!(Locked, thanks to those that post)  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Keskjer

• Catalyst Gaming
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
So some of you probably know that I use a imac. And we all know that its not cut out for gaming. So I figured I might as well see some opinions and views on a set up my friend made, and see what setups yall might have for me. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GkkV So my budget is $1500. It needs to be great for gaming, thats all that I'll be doing on it. No videos, no youtubing just games on steam mostly;ARMA2, GTA IV with some mods, ARMA 3 if that turns out to be better then arma 2, gmod etc etc. 1500 is the max, the build I had was at around 1480 but is now 1560 or something.

Feel free to add accessories as I don't have a keyboard etc etc.

If I do pick out your design I'll let you know, and tell you how it turned out on my end.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 06:46:25 PM by KJUN »

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The big change! Computer smarties come forth!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »
Unless you've got a specific use(anything that'll actually utilize hyperthreading, video editing etc) for an i7 an i5 will do just fine. I'd also recommend dropping the sound card unless you've got a use for it.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:43:40 AM »
if you are going to play arma 3/arma 2, then invest in a good vidya card. its a /very/ demanding game. my two overclocked gts450's can only get about 20 fps in cherno (but outside of it i do just fine)
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »
Prioritize your funding in this order:
Video Card (if you can afford it, go nvidia for PhysX support)
CPU (no i7, i5 will do fine and if you get a god number, should do well for most games)
MoBo (make sure your gpu wont kill your board)
Power Supply (600w is adequate but 750w is recommended)
RAM (6+ GB, especially if you play PS2, RAM is cheap)
HDD (as long as its not a laptop drive and you're not impatient, get anything you want)
DVDD (pay the extra $10 for one that burns. It sucks when you need one and dont have one. Make sure its DVD)
Case (too many people buy the biggest case and the worst parts)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:56:38 AM by Statua {FRAGOPOLIS.NET} »

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
DVDD (pay the extra $10 for one that burns. It sucks when you need one and dont have one. Make sure its DVD))

doesnt have to be a dvd drive, could also be blu-ray drive like i have one

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »
DVDD (pay the extra $10 for one that burns. It sucks when you need one and dont have one. Make sure its DVD))

That works too but I was more relating to CD Drive as most software comes on DVDs now. KJUN said he only wants to do gaming so I dont think spending an extra $50 for a BD Drive is financially wise.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »

That works too but I was more relating to CD Drive as most software comes on DVDs now. KJUN said he only wants to do gaming so I dont think spending an extra $50 for a BD Drive is financially wise.

if you fancy watching a film on your PC that needs bluray it might be handy lol

Offline Keskjer

• Catalyst Gaming
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I was looking around on some other forums and was seeing that I can get quality for cheap. $900 vs. $1500. So i figured I'd cut my price range down to around $900-$1000 being max. And the extra bit of money can go to upgrading it down the road if I ever needed to.

Now using Statuas method
Spoiler for Hiden:
CPU (no i7, i5 will do fine and if you get a god number, should do well for most games)
HDD (as long as its not a laptop drive and you're not impatient, get anything you want)
DVDD (pay the extra $10 for one that burns. It sucks when you need one and don't have one. Make sure its DVD)

I tried to make a new build.... that didn't really come around the budget I was thinking. Here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1HfLG

If someone could kindly build me a computer or atleast tell me what I should be looking at for the price range, that'd be great.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:21:05 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I was looking around on some other forums and was seeing that I can get quality for cheap. $900 vs. $1500. So i figured I'd cut my price range down to around $900-$1000 being max. And the extra bit of money can go to upgrading it down the road if I ever needed to.

Now using Statuas method
Spoiler for Hiden:
DVDD (pay the extra $10 for one that burns. It sucks when you need one and don't have one. Make sure its DVD)

I tried to make a new build.... that didn't really come around the budget I was thinking. Here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1HfLG

If someone could kindly build me a computer or atleast tell me what I should be looking at for the price range, that'd be great.

Are you sure 250gb will be enough? If you are downloading a lot of games on steam the space can be used up really quickly. In the build I'm getting, I'm going to get 2TB just because of the amount of space I use up, most of it is just video games. If you get mods for ArmA, like city life, that takes up a big chunk of your memory too. Other than that, look into Logitech keyboards. Don't buy those "gaming" keyboards, it's just a huge waste of money. Logitech sells quality items at a good price. Razer is nothing but a ripoff.

Offline Keskjer

• Catalyst Gaming
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »

Now using Statuas method
Spoiler for Hiden:

Are you sure 250gb will be enough? If you are downloading a lot of games on steam the space can be used up really quickly. In the build I'm getting, I'm going to get 2TB just because of the amount of space I use up, most of it is just video games. If you get mods for ArmA, like city life, that takes up a big chunk of your memory too. Other than that, look into Logitech keyboards. Don't buy those "gaming" keyboards, it's just a huge waste of money. Logitech sells quality items at a good price. Razer is nothing but a ripoff.
After reading your post, i agree that 250gb wont be enough, so I added a 2TB. Which will probably be taken up due to the amount of games i will be DLing and mods with it. Though I'm very good at space management on my current computer, however thats due to the limits I have on games.

Here is my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Hh6x
Pretty much at my price range currently. Opinions please.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »

Now using Statuas method
Spoiler for Hiden:

After reading your post, i agree that 250gb wont be enough, so I added a 2TB. Which will probably be taken up due to the amount of games i will be DLing and mods with it. Though I'm very good at space management on my current computer, however thats due to the limits I have on games.

i have a 1TB hard drive with 77 games installed, a bunch of music and a lot of HD anime videos and i have 280GB free space, so yeah 1-2TB will be enough

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »
Stick to one site. I personally love www.newegg.com and www.memoryexpress.com (but mX is canadian only :3) since they have such a wide variety of things with chances at discounts. I'll try to dig up a build I made for my friend thats geared toward gaming and costs ~$750. It will do what you want.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:10:27 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Illuminated-Ultrathin-Keyboard-Backlighting/dp/B001F51G16

I'd get that instead, it's what I have currently and much cheaper than that keyboard. I've been using the keyboard for about ~3 years and it works perfectly fine, as if I got it yesterday(but that's how all Logitech things are).

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »

Now using Statuas method
Spoiler for Hiden:

Here is my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Hh6x
Pretty much at my price range currently. Opinions please.
Don't cut short on your GPU. The GTX 660Ti is well worth it over the GTX 650. Also, are you going to be doing any overclocking to your CPU? If not, don't get a CPU cooler. Standard heatsink and fan with a dot of thermal paste works fine.

Honestly, if you're able to afford it, I'd say go with this. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1HkJL

Are you able to get Windows 7 by any other means? If so, that'd save a ton of money.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:34:50 PM by wakeboarderCWB »

Offline Keskjer

• Catalyst Gaming
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »
Honestly I've seen windows 7 cheaper here then any where else. not really planing on overclocking, just wanted to make sure I had a system to cool my CPU so theres no chance of it overheating. (my way of playing it safe)
I'm able to afford a good bit, but if I don't have to fork over a lot of money I don't want to.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal