Author Topic: PAC3 — The Player Appearance Customiser (3)  (Read 12711 times)

Offline DrVengeance

• VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
PAC3 — The Player Appearance Customiser (3)
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:44:33 PM »
Make sure to actually READ what I have to say. There are also 4 images and I HAVE searched for a PAC thread using search, but the only one found was locked referencing to another threat, which I couldn't find.

So first of all, what is PAC? In a nut-shell, it allows a person to customise their appearance in a lot of ways, not just appearance either! You can add animation strings, event cues (and queues), as well as sounds. You can physically, make your character the 6'10 giant he was intended to be; fill your belt with notepads, flash lights, guns!
Stick that backpack your character, so it's visibly onto their back!

Here is the creator's run down:
Gives you the ability to personalize your player model's look by placing objects and effects on yourself.
You can go from putting just a hat on your head to creating an entire new player model.
PAC can also work on vehicles or props.

I've already spoken to people about the very notion of this and of what it brings to the table is deemed desirable; rather than having to read the character description and having to imagine masks and other such things on a bland, widely-spread model, you have the instant visual cue.

As such you can see a man and go "Oh, he looks tall, fat AND
has an AR2 rifle on his back, I best to not fuck with him", rather than being all:
"Hold still so I can read your bloody description."

As seen above in the first panel, the items/objects move with their assigned body-anchor,following their walking,
dancing, sprinting and sitting. On the third panel when I draw my camera, it drags the suitcase up and naturally —
my view is blocked, with a little guidance, people can be taught how fix this issue (using event strings).

Units may now actually have their numbers on their armbands, in a variety of colours (matching their status or some shit, I don't roll CCA, so I don't know). Also highlighted on this: those of you crazy enough to be obsessed with number even-ness or oddity, there is a setting for you! You can also fine-tune the size, scale, rotation et cetera, which is great!

"But what if I have a stunstick on my belt, I draw it and it's still on my belt (like in PAC2)?"
Fear no more, rational worrier, but look down to the image below.

As you can see by my "handy" green and orange lines — when the weapon is drawn it vanishes off of the body!
Fantastic, I know! Now units can like even scarier bar their red eyes, shotgun on his back? Fuck fighting that shit. You can even animate it with pre-set animations, if  you're good enough.

AND you can save you designs, to swap whenever you need to. So the server could upload a few base-customisations, such as holsters and such, then from there you customise it yourself. It helps everyone.

There is my argument for the use of PAC on the HL2RP servers. I am receptive to criticism as well as counter-acting arguments. Thank you for reading. (if you did)
have a nice day :)

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: PAC3 — The Player Appearance Customiser (3)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
I believe this has been suggested before, and it was denied. Mostly for the fact that we all disliked the fact of people having like 30 items on themself.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »
It was denied because a few thought it would only lead to abuse, which it wouldn't if it was handled better than v flags.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline DrVengeance

• VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:51:37 AM »
I believe this has been suggested before, and it was denied. Mostly for the fact that we all disliked the fact of people having like 30 items on themself.
I mentioned that it was suggested before.

It was denied because a few thought it would only lead to abuse, which it wouldn't if it was handled better than v flags.
If this flag was given to the trusted, then it would be easier to manage, as well as added an extra bit of spice to RP.

Offline EmperorDisasster

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 03:20:29 AM »
Can't we just mess around with PAC so there's a limit to all the functions and certain items can't be placed without permission, or at all?
im bach

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 04:33:09 AM »
You know, I'm actually up for this. So long as we control the flags then there is no reason not to, if it is abused it is removed, simple.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Phoenix

• Unit 701
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 05:39:08 AM »
The only REAL thing that I see would be good is to just have your CID or Unit Number on your clothing. Other then that, people will start making apps to look badass instead of having useful things. And just because people are trusted with the flags doesnt mean they will abuse them. Admins get trusted to be an admin and sometimes go corrupt and ban crazy.
A minute after I told Rofl about this combo of VC's

Offline DrVengeance

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »
The only REAL thing that I see would be good is to just have your CID or Unit Number on your clothing. Other then that, people will start making apps to look badass instead of having useful things. And just because people are trusted with the flags doesnt mean they will abuse them. Admins get trusted to be an admin and sometimes go corrupt and ban crazy.

An auth to look bad-ass? Then I imagine it would be denied with due haste, no?
Those in Team Speak, I've conversed with about this, which actually really enjoy serious RP advocate the use of PAC.

To do with admins, I believe it goes: "Absolute power, corrupts absolutely," PAC isn't power, it's a visual aid and a fun tool, abuse on the scale of "oh look he's 200ft tall and pink" can be rectified with ease.

Offline Doctor Nice roButt

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »
It would be cool, in my opinion. A lot of people in P3 have unique clothing, so it would be nice if you could actually see it without having to read a description. It would also make it easier for units to spot things. Not only that, say if you have something as common as a backpack on, everyone can see that you indeed have one on, and units will be reminded that they have something else they need to search if you're detained.
When I was captured as Batman, a lot of obviously contraband or suspicious things were ignored even though it was in my description. If they were physically there, then they probably would have been noticed. Also, whenever someone is far away, it would be easier to identify them.

I support this fully.

"Bert John: Grammer, English, your sentence isn't making sense. "

Offline Would you like some 3.14159265?

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
This looks amazingly interesting. I myself am sick of having to stop to read descriptions and then being bitched at for not remembering them 100% in an RP scenario. Visual appeal is best appeal, and in it being so, this has my full support.

Offline ?µ??µ??µ?

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »

I'd also like to add that while playing on another server with this, I discovered that PAC supports the ability to be disabled clientside meaning that you don't 'have' to see people with 30 items on them if you don't want to.

Offline tim

• SPACE JAM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 02:34:14 PM »
to anyone saying:
it'd ruin rp>script xd

seriously
if we're going to rp>script go back to irc please seriously

this is a game we can do a ton with, why not do it?
#

Offline Reimer

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »
If abuse is controlled and we have clear guidelines about it, I'll go ahead and support as well.
5:28 PM - wakeboarderCWB: swastika really?
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we made it to riemer
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: he's the holy ghost
5:28 PM - Lone Wanderer: we makes sacrifices there

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPV_JPM_wrM</a>

Offline Cat With A Mustache

• King of the 'stache
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:03:42 PM »
Oh, how sexy. Sometimes, I feel like people's descriptions don't give enough detail about a person. Thus making it very hard to really tell how the person looks. With this, I feel that this will not be an issue, however, there always are those people who like to abuse the shit out of things, so I hope that isn't the case. And don't even bitch to things about how: "Oh scripts take everything out of RP, this is gay." I think this just makes it better, but opinions are opinions.

wait i dont get

thats what i said when i first learned about weaboo's, furries, and bronys

Offline Mr. Pettit

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »
I've always liked this idea although it's always been shot down. Is there a way to blacklist props? Like maybe a limit to how many props you can use or a certain list of approved props?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal