Author Topic: Madelyn Krane's Authorization Application  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Frolie [Jellykid]

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Madelyn Krane's Authorization Application
« on: April 14, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
Player Section

Steam Name: Frolie
How long have you been Roleplaying? (can be any game): About Five years.
How long have you been playing Serious GMod RP?: A little over Two years.

Character Section

Authorization(s):
Talents in Computer Hacking, Programming, Coding, and Networking
In-Depth knowledge of Computer Software and Hardware

Name: Madelyn Krane
Affiliation: None

Write a detailed in-canon back-story how your character obtained these authorizations.
The following is the written transcript for interrogation of Madelyn Gendry Krane. Madelyn has been under investigation for five months, suspected of being involved with the Cyber-Crime group 'The Faceless Men'. Before her arrest, discussions were held to hire members of the group to work for M15 in exchange for dropping the charges. This interview was conducted to determine whether she was compatible for the job.

Spoiler for Backstory:
D.Roebuck: Madelyn Krane, alias Whisper. Come up with that one yourself?
M.Krane: I used it once, on a whim. It sort of stuck.
D.Roebuck: Are you prepared to confess?
M.Krane: Why bother? You've got enough evidence to convict, and you would have already if you didn't want something from me.
D.Robuck laughs.
D.Roebuck: Witty. That's in your file, you know.
M.Krane: Really? Had no idea the spooks were that detailed.
D.Roebuck: When it comes to special persons like yourself, Miss Crane, we make exceptions.
M.Krane: Special person am I? Such a flirt.
D.Roebuck: Enough chatter. You're correct in that we've got plenty of evidence, easily enough to put you behind bars for the majority of your life. This does not need to happen.
M.Krane: Predictably.
D.Roebuck: This interview is taking place only to find if you're compatible to work with MI5, Miss Krane, so I suggest you watch your tone, and chose your words with care. Make a bad impression and you’ll find yourself behind bars.
M.Krane: Well get on with it then. If I'm going to prison, I'd like to go sooner rather than later.
D.Roebuck: In a hurry, are we? Fine, we'll get on with it. When did your interest in computers begin.
M.Krane: I am my fathers daughter, and my father made his fortune in computers. When I was young, my dad was distant, so I took an interest in his interest. Over time it changed from a desire to bond, and into a sort of specialty.
M.Krane: How old were you exactly.
M.Krane: Nine or Ten, I think. I remember my dad was alone in his office behind his keyboard, as he spent so many other nights, and I picked up something of his, a computer piece, just to get his attention. He seemed to jump at the opportunity to tell me what it was and what it did. After that I'd pick up more things, and he'd explain them. I'd watch him work some days after school, and when I got older I showed off what I'd learned to my school mates.
D.Roebuck: The details are irrelevant.
M.Krane: I'm a story-teller, love. You'll have to put up with it.
D.Roebuck: Whatever. On file, we've got a school write-up concerning a bit of your computer mischief. Explain.
M.Krane: You fellows truly are nit-picky, aren't you?
D.Roebuck: It's our job. Explain the incident.
M.Krane: I was thirteen, stupid, and annoyed that I couldn't get on certain sites.
D.Roebuck: Which sites?
M.Krane: Does that matter? It didn't to me. I was just pissed that they were restricting me at all.
D.Roebuck: So what did you do?
M.Krane: I disabled the Network's Firewall by setting up an SSH tunnel. It sounds snobby when I call it 'elementary' stuff, but it really was. Frankly, the IT department was shit and couldn't figure out what had been done for more than a month after I'd done.
D.Roebuck: And your dad taught you all this?
M.Krane: The word 'taught' doesn't really describe it, but then, I can't find a better way to put it. He taught me some, and I learned some more on my own.
D.Roebuck: So you hacked-
M.Krane: Exploited.
D.Roebuck: What?
M.Krane: I prefer the word exploited. Hacked sounds so... fictional.
D.Roebuck: Right... either way, you found a way past the restrictions of your schools network. Did your dad stop teaching you after that?
M.Krane: Quite the opposite. I guess the fact that I was using these skills outside of our home proved to him that I wasn't just trying to impress him. Every spare second he spent telling me this and that, and when he wasn't I was learning by myself.
D.Roebuck: And that was the end of your trouble in school?
M.Krane: No, but it was the end of what they discovered.
D.Roebuck: What else did you do?
M.Krane: Well, if I hadn't done anything, I would've flunked out of school.
D.Roebuck: You changed your grades?
M.Krane: Among other things.
D.Roebuck: Interesting...
D.Roebuck writes more in the file.
M.Krane: I'll get my hands on that.
D.Roebuck: On what?
M.Krane: Everything you're writing about me.
D.Roebuck: Stop getting distracted.
M.Krane: You haven't asked me any more questions yet. I'm not getting distracted, just staying occupied.
D.Roebuck: D.Roebuck pauses.
D.Roebuck: Fair enough.
M.Krane: Like I said, I'm very much looking forward to prison, so let's speed it up with the questions.
D.Roebuck: Right. Did you receive any other form of computer education before college?
M.Krane: With my exceptional grades-
D.Roebuck: Fake grades.
M.Krane: Doesn't matter, it all looks the same on paper. With those grades I was given the option to take elective courses, and I took one in Computer Careers and another in Software engineering.
D.Roebuck: How long did those courses last?
M.Krane: I started them in Year Twelve, and they lasted until I graduated. Two years.
D.Roebuck: And then you applied to Cambridge?
M.Krane: Why are you even asking me these questions if you've already go the answers?
D.Roebuck: It helps to hear your perspective.
M.Krane: In that case, yes, I did apply to Cambridge. With my grades, a few recommendations from my teachers, and a sizable donation to the school from my father, they graciously decided to let me in.
D.Roebuck: Your father bribed the school to accept you?
M.Krane: Oh no, the donation and the acceptance were coincidence.
D.Roebuck rolls his eyes.
D.Roebuck: What did you major in?
M.Krane: I was a triple major. Computer sciences, engineering, and networking.
D.Roebuck: Quite the course load.
M.Krane: Attributed to why I failed all of them.
D.Roebuck: You failed? On file, it says you dropped out.
M.Krane: I dropped out when I had the dignity to do it.
D.Roebuck: Why didn't you change your grades like you did in High School?
M.Krane shrugs.
M.Krane: I was busy with other computer projects.
D.Roebuck: So you had already started you little group?
M.Krane: I was a co-founder. And just because we had few members doesn't mean we were little, we made an impact.
D.Roebuck: The Nameless Men were terrorists.
M.Krane: Vigilantes, doing your job for you.
D.Roebuck: You broke laws.
M.Krane: We broke Red Tape, for the greater good.
D.Roebuck: You stole.
M.Krane: From criminals! Besides, we needed money to fund our work.
D.Roebuck: Luckily for us, you left a decent bit of evidence in yours and your friends houses, and your friends have confessed to their crimes and are willing to testify against each other.
M.Krane: All of them against each other? How's that possible.
D.Roebuck: It really isn't, it's just a method we use to get them on file implicating others in their crimes.
M.Krane: That doesn't sound legal.
D.Roebuck: It's a grey area.
M.Krane: So, given that we've worked our way up to the present, have you made a decision?
D.Roebuck: The decision isn't mine to make. This tape and this file go higher up on the food chain, and they make the decision.
M.Krane: So we're done.
D.Roebuck: For now. Until the decision has been made, you'll be under house arrest. I've been appointed as your warden.
M.Krane: Pending my being hired, how much would I be paid?
D.Roebuck:Your salary would depend on the quality of your work, but you would start at  £36,000 pounds a year.
M.Krane:Would I be on file?
D.Roebuck:Technically you wouldn't exist at all. Hiring people of your repute is still a touchy matter, so you would be listed as a classified or unidentified consultant.
M.Krane:Good. I have a reputation to maintain, and that doesn't not include working for the government.

Madelyn and four others from the group were hired onto the staff as security consultants. Madelyn was the only one to become a permanent installation.

What will these authorizations give your character in regards to perks or defects?
Perks
+ Provided she has any sort of technology to work on, her talents could supply her with a job
+ Talents could prove useful in scenarios when the character has access to a computer

Defects
- Without a computer, these talents are almost useless
- The character would be amputated if it was discovered she was under the employ of MI5

What do you plan to do with these perks/defects?
I hope to build an intriguing character with a bizarre past, and hopefully supply to the Passive Roleplay in the City.

Will anyone else need these auths? (If so, list OOC and IC name(s))
No, just myself.

Which server does this apply for?
City

Extra Notes (optional):

Articles on MI5 hiring Hackers:
The MI5 Hires Teenage Hackers
MI5 on the hunt for Hackers to Hire
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:56:16 PM by Frolie »
I'm a fag

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Madelyn Krane's Authorization Application
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »
How much do you know about hacking? 'The Faceless Men' makes me a bit worried.
The interview seems like a quick way to gain a few auths with minimal effort as all you have to do is tell the man things you've done.

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
How much do you know about hacking?

My hacking knowledge is limited to what I've read in non-fiction books or seen online, so, not too much. Still, I know how to RP it.

The interview seems like a quick way to gain a few auths with minimal effort as all you have to do is tell the man things you've done.

I thought that the interview was a neat way to describe how the character got to her level of talent, but it might seem a little transparent. I'll type up a more depthy version detailing the character's history in a more tradition way (expect later tonight or late tomorrow).
I'm a fag

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
The backstory explains the character's childhood and how they got into the courses but lacks depth, so for that reason I'm not going to support this at the moment.

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:20:29 PM »
discussions were held to hire members of the group to work for M15 in exchange for dropping the charges.

This reminds me of a show where criminals of different crimes (all at the maxium level) were recruited to form a team and in return their charges would be dropped. Cannot remember the name of the show for the life of me. Anyway,

Charges won't be dropped, but they will be lessened and they will be watched and would be restricted.

Also it kind of lacks depth as Oswald said, fix that and i'll throw in my support

By for now.....

-1/2Support (that's right, I did half)

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:49:58 AM »
I got one question...

What do you know of MI5's role in the UK Government because it's a little more specific than 'super spies'. I liked the story though, rather sharp dialogue.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »
Knowledge of "hacking" is really broad if you don't know your stuff OOC, people just assume someone who can "hack" can get past anything they wanted when it doesn't really work like that (you could easily just abuse the general term and get away with anything)

plus, there isn't much to actually hack in the HL2 world is there? Cause this knowledge in the app shouldn't transfer over to combine tech

The Mysterious Stranger

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »
 I find that having a interview is just a silly reason to easily get away from writing a long, detailed background story (which would be better in my case) but I am unsure if I am right or wrong. I am a neutral -/+ over here.

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »
To address the concerns that the backstory is too short, or lacking in depth, I'll be uploading an alternate version with the original inside it. Until then, please hold on to further judgments.
I'm a fag

Offline hogs

• [LOOC] Shane West: cash first.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »
You seem to have a reputation of writing bullshit authorizations - don't get me wrong, you've written some great authorization applications in the past, but unfortunately your reputation seems to have 'stuck' from Layla 'Razors' Blackburn's - but alas, reputations aside; this character is one of those 'bullshit' authorizations.

Now, before you get angry - I suggest reading over all the reasons as to why I think this is a bullshit application and consider them before flaming me, okay? Great.

Authorization(s):
Talents in Computer Hacking, Programming, Coding, and Networking

The fact that your authorizations are so damn blunt I don't know what EXACTLY you are applying for is grounds for your application to be denied - come on, Frolie. Talents in computer hacking, coding and networking? But what code does Miss Krane have a talent in? What codes does she know and not know? Nobody can know 'all the codes in the world' because it's quite hard to master codes that I'm sure this Neophyte (you) have never heard of. Now, before you go searching for computer languages to asspull, you really do need to think about what you're applying for. You're essentially applying for a Julian Assange cross Bill Gates.

'hey do u no how to hack this security gate?'
'yeah bro just let me get my HACKING TOOLS OUT'

Oh my. I almost forgot, you never defined what 'hacking' is in your authorizations. What are you talented in with hacking? DDoSing? Doxing? Virus distribution? All of them?

In the computer security context, a hacker is someone who seeks and exploits weaknesses in a computer system or computer network. Hackers may be motivated by a multitude of reasons, such as profit, protest, or challenge.

Come on Frolie, you know better than this.

Authorization(s):
In-Depth knowledge of Computer Software and Hardware

yeah whatever like you know about computer software and hardware anyways

Write a detailed in-canon back-story how your character obtained these authorizations.
The following is the written transcript for interrogation of Madelyn Gendry Krane. Madelyn has been under investigation for five months, suspected of being involved with the Cyber-Crime group 'The Faceless Men'. Before her arrest, discussions were held to hire members of the group to work for M15 in exchange for dropping the charges. This interview was conducted to determine whether she was compatible for the job.

But Frolie, there's no such thing as 'M15'.

I'm going to skip writing my grievances with the 'backstory' - why you would even call it a backstory is beyond me - because you stated that you'll be writing a new one.

What will these authorizations give your character in regards to perks or defects?
Perks
+ Provided she has any sort of technology to work on, her talents could supply her with a job
+ Talents could prove useful in scenarios when the character has access to a computer

yeah whatever like you know about computer software and hardware anyways

Defects
- Without a computer, these talents are almost useless
- The character would be amputated if it was discovered she was under the employ of MI5

'the employ'

Why would your character be amputated for a character that was affiliated with a security agency that does not exist anymore?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ</a>

How much do you know about hacking?

My hacking knowledge is limited to what I've read in non-fiction books or seen online, so, not too much. Still, I know how to RP it.

master hacker right here
are u part of anonymous??

To address the concerns that the backstory is too short, or lacking in depth, I'll be uploading an alternate version with the original inside it. Until then, please hold on to further judgments.

no

and on the topic of 'no' you will have 'no' support from me - regardless of backstory.

Oh yes also it appears that your hacker group is an Australian political term.

Oh my, I seem to have put more effort into my 'smear campaign against you' than you have your own authorization!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:49:31 PM by hogs »

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 07:22:48 PM »
Hogs has pretty much summed up my reasons for not giving support for this application. This application is way to broad, as the world of computer programming, science, and technology is extremely vast and diverse. Due to the fact you can't narrow down the different languages and actual aspects of hacking/networking/hardware/software and essentially everything else, I will not give my support. Oh, and the 'backstory' isn't really a backstory at all. That's another big problem too.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »
Seems as though most people have already made up their minds, and there's little I can do to change that. Maybe I did try to tackle a subject that was too broad for me to handle, and for that, I apologize. At this time though, this particular application is too ambiguous. I"ll take a few weeks to adjust the issues, or discard the character, but as per now, an admin could move this to denied.

Also, I do know what a Neophyte is.
I'm a fag

The Mysterious Stranger

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »
 Hogs is acting like a asshole (i still love you bby) but he pinpoints the problems noticeable in the authorization application you have made Frolie. Well, that's a -support from me. If you can fix the problems up, I might change my mind.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:56:33 PM by STALKER »

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 09:58:21 PM »
Moved to denied by request of OP.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal