Author Topic: 'Local Events' over the Radio  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Frolie [Jellykid]

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
'Local Events' over the Radio
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:41:02 AM »
The Issue

This problem isn't really a problem- more of an imperfection. For you Outlands folks talking over the radio, or you units keeping in contact with each other over the radio, this is functional enough:

Generic Name radios in "Oh dear, here come the Overwatch Transhuman Agents! Quickly everyone, seek the nearest cover!"

That works just fine. But suppose you have to use the radio command to portray a sound? In the Outlands at least, I've seen this method used many times:

Generic Name radios in "*An agonizing scream and the sharp shots of AR2 rounds blare over the radio*"

Just doesn't look good.

The Solution?

What I suggest is a sort of 'local event' to be utilized over the radio, to eliminate the bother seen above. In my mind, when typed, it would look something like this:

When typed: /radioit An agonizing scream and the sharp shots of AR2 fire blare over the radio.
In game: An agonizing scream and the sharp shots of AR2 fire blare over the radio.

With this method, anyone tuned in on the frequency in question would be able to hear whats going on ICly, without the eyesore that we've got now. Below, I've simulated a situation where this could be used:

Spoiler for Hiden:
** Generic name beams his flashlight down across the earthy walls of the mine.
** The scuttling sound of a headcrab across stone echo's down the tunnel walls.
** Generic Name swallows nervously, pulling his radio off his belt and bringing it up to his lips to speak.
Generic Name radios in "I'm down in the mines, below the bunker. I thought I heard-"
** An olive-shade headcrab, oily and thin, flies out of the darkness into the light of Generic Name's flashlight, launching itself onto the unfortunate man's shoulder before climbing up onto his skull and beginning to burrow.
** Generic Name screams out in horror as the creature begins the horrifying process, his finger still sealed like a vice around the 'talk' button of his radio.
A horrible scream, unmistakably Generic Name's, rings out over the radio.

Generic Name2 radios in "What the hell was that?"
Generic Name3 radios in "Generic Name, can you hear me?!"

Hoping the dev's can fix some kind of script for this. Post your opinions below, or ways this suggestion could be improved.
I'm a fag

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: 'Local Events' over the Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:48:06 AM »
Not a bad idea at all. I'd love to see this implemented for sure.
Frolie [Tray is Krogan]: sup bra
Tray [Isn't Krogan]: not much panties

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:52:48 AM »
To be perfectly honest, it kinda comes off the exact same way regardless. The only difference being your name isn't there and there are no astrics included. But over all its the same thing.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »
can't you use /radio ? <im a big poopoo head> and get the same message across? it doesn't come up with your name so it'd stand out on the radio

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:42:36 PM »
can't you use /radio ? <im a big poopoo head> and get the same message across? it doesn't come up with your name so it'd stand out on the radio

This honestly. Nobody really ever uses /radio ?. It works pretty well as it comes out as "Someone radios: "A gun shot is heard, thundering over radio.""

Ya' dig?

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline Phoenix

• Unit 701
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »
This is a really nice idea, but also sort of pointless in the same way. I can see this being more of a commodity then anything since it's not actually needed and /radio ? *Sounds of groaning and gunshots can be heard from the radio.* work fine in my opinion.
A minute after I told Rofl about this combo of VC's

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 12:42:00 AM »
Maybe it can be implemented like how when someone dies while typing in TTT and it has their "last words" but instead of the last words it can play a sound of death, gunshots, etc. 

Offline hogs

• [LOOC] Shane West: cash first.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:40:40 AM »
Maybe it can be implemented like how when someone dies while typing in TTT and it has their "last words" but instead of the last words it can play a sound of death, gunshots, etc.

but this isn't ocrp and not everybody is going to reach for their radio when they die and turn it on only to broadcast a gunshot

Offline kronik

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Lottery Winner [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
It's a nice idea.

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
/radio ? <stuff> works fine for this for now, although I like the idea.

Offline Frolie [Jellykid]

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »
I get that the whole /radio ? thing works good and all, but I just don't think it looks as clean as what I suggested. I really don't know too much about developing content or writing lua or whatever, but this seems like it would be easy to implement.

However, if enough players and admins think it's unnecessary, I'll understand.
I'm a fag

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal