Author Topic: Project Vortigaunt  (Read 5885 times)

Offline Doctor Nice roButt

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Project Vortigaunt
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:40:47 PM »
I'm going to atempt to make a Vortigaunt in my ceramics class. I'll update the thread with new pictures and such as I get things done.

First off: I got most of the head done. Probably gunna touch it up, add a few details next chance I get.

Not sure how I'm going to do the teeth because the mouth is so small the teeth will have to be even smaller. It would be pretty hard to attach that small a thing without squishing it down. I might try added extra clay to the inside of the mouth to carve them, I dunno.

"Bert John: Grammer, English, your sentence isn't making sense. "

The Mysterious Stranger

Re: Project Vortigaunt
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »
Looks god, Toxic. The Vortigaunt is going to be awesome once it is complete.

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:38 AM »

The leg is a bit big and awkward shaped, but it needs to hold up all the weight of the top half. Once it dries, I might be able to carve it thinner.

We don't have school in Friday so the next time I can work on it is Monday.
Hope it doesn't dry too bad till then.

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »

So close to done! I just have to add some details, fix some parts, and stuff like that before I fire him in the kiln. I'm hoping I can find a way to make a mold of him so I can make more to give to people.

I do realize his limbs are quite large, especially his legs, but it's what worked so. If his legs were smaller and skinner, they might not have been able to hold up all the weight. His arms are also a tad on the large side because I didn't want them to break off that easily. I tried to stick with the reference picture I had, so I hope he's not too inaccurate.

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »
Not bad, Toxic. I approve.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
I do realize his limbs are quite large, especially his legs, but it's what worked so. If his legs were smaller and skinner, they might not have been able to hold up all the weight. His arms are also a tad on the large side because I didn't want them to break off that easily. I tried to stick with the reference picture I had, so I hope he's not too inaccurate.

I'm not exactly a modeler but couldn't you make a flat, round base for him and then just make thinner legs and paint them (or at least differentiate them somehow), unless it's too late :c

Either way it still looks pretty awesome though

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »
Thanks guys.
I intended for him to be more like a figurine, and I'm going to carve his limbs down as much as I can. The round base would help, but it can easily break and ruin the entire thing. I've had bad experiences with trying to make platforms, because more often than not something's going to chip off it while its being moved or by some freak accident because its not all that thick. It's also a pain to make it look good, there's always going to be some lump or what not, which can be played off if its only evident in the figure. Also there is less options on where to put it because now it's taking up more area than the feet normally would. The base can also warp and make it hard to get the figure t stand right and it adds a bunch of weight.
I dunno, might just be me making excuses due to bad experiences with bases or anything that is round or on the thin side. Probably why I made his limb so big.

I'm going to carve down as much as I can without breaking him, but I honestly don't want to stretch my luck. I end of breaking most things I make.

He's going to be pretty dry when I have ceramics class in two days, so a base is probably out of the question unless I risk making him moist again.

tl;dr: I'm scurred of making bases and editing him.

We can just say he's really fat k

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
Insert steel or copper rods into his legs to provide more support?

I think you should make a mold of it, duplicate it, and sell it at conventions lol.

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »
I think you should make a mold of it, duplicate it, and sell it at conventions lol.

This. Would be great for you. I'd buy.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
I'm going to try and make a mold, but I can't sell it because Vortigants belong to Valve.
I'll probably distribute them for free as like presents or for contests and stuff.

Offline Carnivore329

• In the Outlands Hiding Under A Rock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »
Looks good mate, Hope it finishes good :D

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »
Great job, Toxic Zombie!
I want one so badly right now. Better do some contests.

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »
Yeah. My art teacher seemed really interested in helping me make a mold of it. When I finish and fire it, we'll probably look into how to. Also, If I do make a mold, i can make slight modifications to the clone like scars and stuff if you want it to look like your vortigaunt a characters and stuff.

I'm kinda wondering if it is illegal to sell them or whatever. I see people sell game related stuff all the time, so maybe it's not. Dunno, it would be fun to sell them at a con or something. Because cash first.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Ive bought valve related fan art stickers and standees before. Your model is technically fan art so it should be fine at conventions and such.

Offline S?cojnr

• #1 CHAV
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »
wow, this looks really nice!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal