Author Topic: Garrys Mod Kinect  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Garrys Mod Kinect
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »
Wow this looks amazing. With this in multiplayer I can't imagine how amazing this would be for HL2RP too.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgqr75MVcg" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgqr75MVcg</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDRcHab6mc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDRcHab6mc</a>

Questions from one of the desc's.

Is this on PC? Is Garry's Mod coming out for xbox? Yes it's on PC - and no Garry's Mod isn't coming out for xbox. Ever.

Is this motion capture - you're creating animations? No - it's live. You move your arm and the ragdoll moves its arm. You jump - and it jumps. It's live, your body is directly controlling the ragdoll.

Does it work in multiplayer? Yes! You can join a server and take control of a ragdoll. Your friend can join and take control of one and you can dance together.

What do I need? A Kinect and the "Kinect for Windows Runtime v1.6". You don't need the "made for windows" kinect - but if you have a 360 kinect you might need to get a power/usb cable so you can plug it into your PC. Sorry mac guys - it is Windows only.

Did that guy turn into a ragdoll? Yeah - when the kinect can't track you anymore the ragdoll turns back into a ragdoll, and just drops to the floor in place.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Garrys Mod Kinect
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »
With this in multiplayer I can't imagine how amazing this would be for HL2RP too.

Ha, funny, considering the tracking will never get much better than it is now I'd specificaly hope not to see people doing these sort of animations on hl2rp, other than that for sandbox etc it looks really funny just to mess around with

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:40:44 AM »
With this in multiplayer I can't imagine how amazing this would be for HL2RP too.

Ha, funny, considering the tracking will never get much better than it is now I'd specificaly hope not to see people doing these sort of animations on hl2rp, other than that for sandbox etc it looks really funny just to mess around with

The idea of CA gesturing stuff with Kinect during a speech voiced somewhere on Facepunch sounds interesting though.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:59:16 AM »

The idea of CA gesturing stuff with Kinect during a speech voiced somewhere on Facepunch sounds interesting though.

It's be interesting but the quality of it so far would just have the CA float lightly and his arms warp around a little, it'd just look too silly to be taken seriously

Offline FanaticWarren

• ElitistFag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »
I must try this. the drivers for kinect on pc are a bit buggy tho

System Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor @ 4.6 ghz
RAM: AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
PSU: Ultra X4 750W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked + PNY GTX 550 TI for physx core

Offline xh2p

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »
I have tried the gmod kinect and honestly i do not like it. It appears cool until you try it, I dont know if it is just me but honestly its horrible.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 08:55:40 PM »
A novelty gimmick-y feature at best

Ever since I saw zeropunctuation's bashing on kinect, I've become convinced that it's shit and needs to go away
o7

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal