Author Topic: RAM help  (Read 5511 times)

Offline PixelDuh

• View Profile
    • Awards
RAM help
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »
A couple of days ago I upgraded the RAM in my computer to 16 GB, and my computer reads it, but only 3.43 is usable or something like that. It's really annoying because I feel as though I wasted my money, because my games do not run any faster. Here's a screen capture of my RAM:

If there's any way to change the number in the parenthesis because my games are really laggy and I need it fixed soon.
For gaming videos, such as Minecraft, Half Life, Black Mesa, and Spore, go to http://www.youtube.com/user/PixelDuh?feature=mhee

Offline Rudolph the Master Blaster

• me and smt
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RAM help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
Its probably because your running a x32 Bit Operating system, if you want to get more out of your comp, Use 64 bit Operating system.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:47:36 PM »
It's not probably, he IS running a 32 bit OS for it to be at 3.43GB usable.

Only way you can use 4GB or more is by upgrading to a 64 bit OS, which means having to buy a new 64 bit OS.

Also, 16GB RAM for gaming is incredibly retarded, max you'll ever need for gaming is 8GB, recommended is 4GB. Won't make your games any less laggy with 4GB+, usually means you need a new processor/graphics card.

Offline turhral=S=C=

• FAHKING
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:10:16 AM »
He doesn't have to buy a new one, can just download it through the internet. Also, he won't have to format his PC /just/ to upgrade to 64 bit.
We shall bring HL2RP back.
We must.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:35:51 AM »
He doesn't have to buy a new one, can just download it through the internet. Also, he won't have to format his PC /just/ to upgrade to 64 bit.

it's not possible to upgrade from x86 to x64, it's an entirely new OS not just like an update that you can apply, but yes 16 GB is way overkill for gaming, new ram doesn't make your games faster unless you're running on 1GB of slow ram and upgrade to 4GB of faster RAM, you'd have been better off buying a new CPU or GPU

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »
Funny thing is that I am using 64bit windows 7 and with me it says 8GB (4GB useable)
Which means I have sorta the same problem.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline FanaticWarren

• ElitistFag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
Which 64 bit version are you running tho nick?

System Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor @ 4.6 ghz
RAM: AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
PSU: Ultra X4 750W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked + PNY GTX 550 TI for physx core

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 09:00:53 PM »
Ya, pretty sure the "lowest"/cheapest edition of W7 only allows 4GB useable, because FUCK YOU WE'RE MICROSOFT

cough

Offline turhral=S=C=

• FAHKING
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 11:40:36 PM »

it's not possible to upgrade from x86 to x64, it's an entirely new OS not just like an update that you can apply, but yes 16 GB is way overkill for gaming, new ram doesn't make your games faster unless you're running on 1GB of slow ram and upgrade to 4GB of faster RAM, you'd have been better off buying a new CPU or GPU

Then explain me how my brother upgraded his 86x Windows 7 OS to a 64x one, without deleting any of his files, and in the same PC.
We shall bring HL2RP back.
We must.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 04:46:32 AM »

Then explain me how my brother upgraded his 86x Windows 7 OS to a 64x one, without deleting any of his files, and in the same PC.

He either has a separate drive or partition for his Windows installation where all he needs to do is replace the OS and nothing more, otherwise it's not possible
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:53:42 AM by Smt »

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
Yes. It's always smart to either have two different HDDs in your computer, a small and a big one. (Use the small one for windows) or if you only have one, split it up into two partitions so you can always choose to reinstall windows or install another one on that partition with windows, while keeping the other one with all your games and files untouched.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit x86 (No idea what this x86 even means. But my second program files directory says 'program files (x86)'

Anyways, I reinstalled windows like 3 days ago. Before I did this, I had the exact same PC, exact same RAM and exact same windows installed, and it worked just fine using my full 8GB RAM.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
Yes. It's always smart to either have two different HDDs in your computer, a small and a big one. (Use the small one for windows) or if you only have one, split it up into two partitions so you can always choose to reinstall windows or install another one on that partition with windows, while keeping the other one with all your games and files untouched.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit x86 (No idea what this x86 even means. But my second program files directory says 'program files (x86)'

Anyways, I reinstalled windows like 3 days ago. Before I did this, I had the exact same PC, exact same RAM and exact same windows installed, and it worked just fine using my full 8GB RAM.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

You SHOULD be fine, not sure why

but basicly x64 = 64bit and x86 = 32bit (if your wondering why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86)

Offline PixelDuh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
So if I upgrade my OS to x64 will I lose any of my saved files? and Is that all I need to do to get my RAM to be usable? and if so, how do I upgrade my OS?
You guys are just confusing me with this discussion, to be honest. I'm not that smart with computers. Just tell it to me simply?
For gaming videos, such as Minecraft, Half Life, Black Mesa, and Spore, go to http://www.youtube.com/user/PixelDuh?feature=mhee

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 01:50:07 PM »
So if I upgrade my OS to x64 will I lose any of my saved files? and Is that all I need to do to get my RAM to be usable? and if so, how do I upgrade my OS?
You guys are just confusing me with this discussion, to be honest. I'm not that smart with computers. Just tell it to me simply?

You will need to download or buy the x64 (64 bit) version of Windows yes, and you'd usually install it by burning it to a disk/using the disk you'd bought, yes you will lose all your files unless you back them up on a USB stick or such

Offline FanaticWarren

• ElitistFag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
Actually there's an option where it makes a folder called "Windows.old" and contains all the files of the previous windows installation. I'm pretty sure it's there just in case something goes wrong during the windows installation process.

System Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor @ 4.6 ghz
RAM: AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
PSU: Ultra X4 750W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked + PNY GTX 550 TI for physx core

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal