Author Topic: Multiplayer Theory  (Read 2004 times)

Offline tim

• SPACE JAM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Multiplayer Theory
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:48:33 PM »
Right, hello and welcome to this thread.
This is going to be long-ish, so if you have a short attention, sorry, you're gonna have to read it.

Today, I want to talk about Multiplayer Theory and why a lot of these suggestions for gamemodes in here wont work.

Gamemodes. What they need and what people want.

A simple goal. Like in TTT, people need to find the traitor and kill him before he kills others. Quite simple.
Something to gain. Experience points? Money? Items? Who knows. Just something to be given to the player for completing above goal.
An outlet for things gained. Hats, spells, perks, what ever. Something that people can show and gloat about. Keeps them coming back.
Skill, not power. Make some room for skill! In GMR2, the one with the best car would always win. Try adding some debuffs to overpowered things.
Fast-paced. People have short attention spans. Yeah. It's true. You gotta keep action flying. Like FortWars for example.
Not repetitive. Doing the same thing over and over, beating citizens for running, getting shot in the knee for failing to salute. It all happens too often and it just falls into a routine. TTT however always changes the terrorist, keeping it fresh and exciting.
The right staff for the right gamemode. I don't think someone who's administrated OCRP suddenly moves to administrating HL2RP is going to have some difficulties. Make sure your admins that you select for said server are competent in the gamemode, for example how to do X instead of replying 'idk.'
User equality. If you run a jailbreak, don't restrict guards to only people who donate. That ruins the whole point of the game. Users who don't donate and start out with restricted rights feel like they don't want to play, since they don't have the money.
Going out of your way. Don't just do the bare minimum. Add something fun for the players to discover. The Secret Phrase for OCRP was pretty awesome as it kept you going until people leaked it. Make easter eggs!

That's basically it. The whole gamemode really needs to cater to people without large attention spans, as I bet you the average Garry's Mod player doesn't have.

The reason DarkRP is so popular is because you can just go shotcop everywhere instead of actually roleplaying, which occasionally gets boring as it falls into the repetitiveness category. The reasons why many of our non-RP gamemodes that failed could be listed under these categories.

FortWars: unpredictable and really fun, but there was nothing to put your cash into except classes and upgrades. What about an item finding system like in TF2 or purchasable hats?

GMR2: The overpowered thing. Pretty much listed the reason in the example.

Morbus: This was really fun, but again like FortWars, there was no real outlet or anything you gain by winning/playing.

TTT: I don't really know why this one flopped. People were too busy with the roleplay that we have to actually join TTT. That's the thing, you need to lure people out of roleplay to a fun, interesting and original idea.

I appreciate you reading the whole thing.
If you wouldn't mind, giving a "yes" or "no" on what you think would be nice!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:56:41 PM by Tim »
#

Offline Psycho29388

• Maximum Autism
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Multiplayer Theory
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:41:25 AM »
I we got a jailbreak server I would totally play it, but also like tim said add some cool stuff you can earn in the game and easter eggs too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal