Author Topic: Suggestion/Guide Physical Descriptions.  (Read 1943 times)

Offline [FPSN]Bokslag

• View Profile
    • Awards
Suggestion/Guide Physical Descriptions.
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:16 PM »
So, we have all seen the minges with shit descs, not what this is about, this is to help those who want a better description. Most of this is Yankee's idea. Thank him.

To start, as we know, it is about height and weight and such. I like it when instead of "5 foot six, 100 lbs." It is like... "Short, light weight and small build" And for age, like "Aged face" Or "Youthful features." Things like that. Now, about mental things. Don't put them, and if you have a accent, put it there, BUT ALSO TALK LIKE IT. I hate when people have "English accent" But just talk the same as Americans. And also, if you don't have much of an accent, say HOW you talk like.. "Speaks in a soft, shy tone" Or something. This guide is short, and now over. No wait, also, old people, USE THE OLD PERSON MODELS! I mean, I see like. "76 year old man" And they have the guy with the beard that looks young as a model. It is there for a reason, use it. Old women (Like anyone makes chars like that) No good models really...

Again. Almost all, if not all, of this was told to me by yankeeSamurai via steam chat.

(Example description) "Youthful features|Small build|Short| Speaks in a soft, awkward voice| Has short brown hair|
C45.CCA.APEX-01.725 says "<:: It's not a skirt."
C45.CCA.APEX-01.725 says "<:: It's a dress."

Offline A.Soldier

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion/Guide Physical Descriptions.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »
Kuro made us do detailed Descriptions such as:

A 5'7 Caucasian male with short brown hair and eyes, <Insert Other prominent information about your character> (example, Wearing a new Civilian uniform and work boots, Has a scar under left eye, Seems to have a small twitching tendency, etc.)

Something to give enough details to another person/CCA if you were to describe him, you wouldent go up to someone and say 5'7|Male|BrownEyes|BrownHair|Slim|ScarsOnFace, you would talk about someone in sentences, not the police description fashion lol.
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Make life rue the day it thought it could give you those lemons! Do they even know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna
burn their house down with the lemons!"
[/i]

Offline [FPSN]Bokslag

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:20:25 AM »
Meh, I suppose, when describing people, that makes it so People can't just say your exact description, they sort of have to think about it a bit.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 03:32:55 AM »
Yeah, I'm against specific measurements such as "5 foot 11 inches, 109 pounds" in a physdesc. My personal belief is that you should only include features that can be observed casually.
In real life, it's impossible look at a person and instantly know exactly how tall they are and how much they weigh. It's much easier to mentally imagine a character by using descriptions such as, "Heavy frame, tall and lanky."

Place the most distinctive aspect of your character first. It will be the first thing (possible the only thing) other players read. The first section of your description will be the only thing visible in the chatbox. I recommend putting a descriptor of the character's voice first.

Another tip I've found to be helpful is "4 senses." One should try to describe how the character Smells, Looks, Hears, and Feels.
Smells- Bear in mind, the combine probably don't issue a can of Old Spice to each citizen...
Looks- Pretty self-explanatory. Hair color, eye color, skin color, facial features, body frame, facial hair, and the list goes on. Any particular mannerisms a character displays fall under this category.
Hears- Mostly refers to the character's voice. Is it deep? Nasal? Gravely? What sort of accent might your character have?
Feels- Maybe your character has smooth skin. Maybe your character has rough, weathered skin. Can also apply to hair, clothes, etc.
Don't specify how your character tastes unless you are hell-bent on some secks-are-pee.  ;)

On a more practical note, using specific units of measurement is not fair to many players. Since most countries use the metric system, units such as "pounds" or "feet" may not have as much significance.

TL;DR
Bad=  6'4" | 112 lbs | blue eyes, blond hair | smart and caring
Good=  French accent. Smooth, cultured voice | Lean, wiry frame | Wavy, auburn hair. Blue-gray eyes that never seem to stay still. | Pale skin
o7

Offline [FPSN]Bokslag

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:00:44 AM »
See, Told you Yankee knows more than me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal