Author Topic: Your very first time on Garry's Mod.  (Read 6539 times)

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Your very first time on Garry's Mod.
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:11:01 AM »
Simple explained, you just write a story on how, when and why you got Garry's Mod for the very first time.

Here is mine:

The time before Gmod.
Before I got Garry's Mod, or even KNEW about that game I spend a LOT of time playing Battlefield 2 with the Sandbox mod. I really loved that game and I build some really epic shit that everyone was being jealous of.
Here are two examples of what I was capable of to make:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCDYiMUyCm4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVenqEvr0NA
However, as you can see Battlefield 2 has barely any physics at all, so it is more like art work then functional work. But I still loved the game and spend almost just as many hours on it as I do now on Garry's Mod.
One of my friends which played this game with me as well once found out about Garry's Mod and introduced me to it. I literally jizzed in my pants when I saw videos about Garry's Mod and I just HAD to go get it. I searched trough the internet how to download this, and found out about Steam and it's pirate ways to get Garry's Mod, but I still required a source game to play it, so I bought the entire Orangebox. When I received it home, I installed all the games, and started to play Garry's Mod eminently. I didn't even care about games such as Hl2 and Tf2, as I had Garry's Mod, which was everything that counted for me.

My very first contraption.
I can remember very well how I watched tons of videos and tutorials about Garry's Mod, so I basically made contraptions shown on those videos. My very very very first thing I made right after I started up Gmod the first time was a rocket with 5 barrels and a thruster underneath.
Yes, I used this video for that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwVjmH9noM
Another contraption which I made millions of times was that robot which uses lockers as feet, clocks as legs and an airboat as main body. I can't find that video right now, so I hope you've seen it once yourself and know what I'm talking about.

First time online.
I can't quite remember the first time I went online, but I can sure remember the first time I joined a new server, which since that day I'm friends with the owner even till today. I got admin on that server after a few days, and I really enjoyed playing on it. It was a cracked server, as I still didn't buy Garry's Mod legally.

Finally, I bought it!
After many months enjoying myself on Garry's Mod, I decided to actually buy Garry's Mod legally to find out what this game has to offer more then just Sandbox. I was still playing on my friends server, as the same friend which I used to play Battlefield 2 Sandbox which was also playing on this server, but he didn't bought it legally yet.

The first time in RP and it's communities.
I don't know if my first time was in some kind of DarkRP server, or if it was PERP. I never really got into the entire DarkRP shit as it was boring as hell, and those kids made me cry. Once I met PERP, I was addicted to it and played it all day long as long as I could. While playing PERP, I also played on Kazuo's sandbox server for a while, as I still enjoyed making lots of good contraptions with Kaz, and Journeyman etc. Just before PE died, Kaz turned his sandbox server into an entire community with a forum, called Orange Cosmos. I was admin on it from the nearly beginning as I was admin on his sandbox server as well. Unlucky enough, I was to desperate to get admin on PE, and ruined everything so badly so Kaz demoted me on OC as well. Once PE died, and OC became bigger and bigger, and got more servers such as RE, TTT, and later even GMR. After a long while, OCRP was made and opened for public. I played for a few months but I was still trying to hard to get my admin back. I decided to lay off for a while and just give up on it. After like 2 more months, I saw a lot of players getting admin, so I was kind of jealous, so I tried to get it back one last time, with success!
Now that OC died, I followed many of the regular players to Catalyst Gaming. Now, I continue to enjoy my time here, and we'll see for how long that will take until I move on to something else?

Now, what is your story?
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Your very first time on Garry's Mod.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
I was introduced to gmod by a friend back in, 09 I believe, I had never played gmod 9 but I thought the game was really good.  I started up single player thinking "How hard could it be"  I couldn't figure out how to change my tools, settings, etc.  I just spawn npc's and fought them.  1 hundred metro cops with stunsticks against a crowbar.

My first RP experience at the time was obviously DarkRP.  it was version 3.7 I think.  I don't know, lockpicks were still the ones you smack against doors a couple times and they open.  I played darkrp most of the time I played gmod, My first serious rp experience was PERP.  Until then I just chilled in DarkRP, gmstranded, SB2, and sandbox/deathmatch.

I have a total of 2,320 hours now.

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »
To be honest i dont remember much.. but i'll try

I was playing CSS on a fun clan server long time ago, eventually got a friend that added me there, some day i just saw him playing Garrys Mod, i asked what it was, he explained me, sent me some videos of it and so on.
Then i bought it, he took me to a sandbox server and taught me basic wiremod and building. Great times, even though i didnt know how to do shit, really. Know that spawn platform on gm_flatgrass? Yeah, to start with i had no idea how to get back on it, didnt even know of noclipping there. My first contraption.. was a very simple minigun, i think, made of a bin, a block and some turrest and a button. I liked messing around. Now whenever i sandbox im mostly around wiremod-only, CPU, E2, GPU, all those code-by-yourself-stuff. Then not much later i got into other gamemodes, DarkRP, GMStranded, ZS and joined Sassilization clan servers.
I also played PERP a little bit. Eventually this said friend who showed me Gmod, removed me. Why? No idea. Couldnt find him again. Wish i could.

I have about 3k hours logged on Gmod now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:20:58 AM by Teh Caek »

Offline Journeyman H. [UK]

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »
I would have told you my story in depth about my time on GMod, but I'll cut it slightly short.

GMod 9
I was simply, the biggest mingebag in Sandbox, and in the spare time on sandbox, I attempt to make walking robots, which I have done but with limited success.
My Gmod 9 days consisted of making 2 people rage at each other. I.e. easy welding a persons base near another guy that is building, they both have an "easy weld" war, and rage over it.
In the 'RP' days (as in DarkRP) I too was a massive retard attempted to find minor glitches and exploits to annoy people, best part is where they don't blacklist some tools.
In the near end of the GMod 9 days, was playing Noxious net, so fun, so much lulz were had too.
GMod 9 was filled with very peculiar and very inspirational gamemodes.

GMod 10
My brother bought the game for me later in the year, and obviously, I was overjoyed, I loved every improvement that happened in GMod 10, the servers filled with a wide range of servers, some of which are already been repeated and remade, however I continued my days in Noxious net and random Sandbox servers, also practicing my mech building and physics testing.

Kazuo owned a sandbox server, and eventually he introduced me to PE, when I joined Pulsar Effects RP server, I was astonished, awed and curious, I wondered if there are more RP servers that did what PERP done, but never seen one, PERP was so unique (to me), I registered exactly the day before the community got screwed over by defaced.

Time passed, when OC was made, thanks to a team that was put together, Jake and Noobulator for coding, Darth for his generously paying for OC to stay alive and giving it the best security it could get, but I'm not going to detail about OC, too lengthly and obviously stupid events that occured during that time makes me unwilling to recall.

Now, I am here in Catalyst Gaming which my plan is not staying here permenantly.
Clearly racist.

Offline Belowthebelt

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Before Garry's Mod

Before Gmod I played quite a lot of games on my Xbox like Call Of Duty 4 and many others. I was generally into FPS games and then I heard about games like TF2 and CSS from a couple of friends. My computer was quite a low spec compared to mine now, but, it handles these games well and I gre4aly enjoyed it. One of my friends talked to me over steam (Well, I could say spammed.....) and told me about Garry's Mod.

I was very interested in this game and one of my friends brought it as well so I went around his house and checked it out. I was simply amazed by what you where capable of and of how many servers there were for different types of game modes. From there on, I played Gmod.

Gmod Gamemodes I have played

I have played Gmod for about three yeards now (New account, don't ask) And I first started on Dark Rp and sand boxes to get to know the game mechanics. I played on these servers for quite a while and started to really like it. I moved on to PERP servers and the old OCRP server when it started up. As some of you know, the old server went down and I eventually just sticked to sandbox and other games. I then heard of things like Taco and Banana and, of course, Infusion gaming.

I was offically hooked and loved it with a passion will be playing on IG for a very, very long time. I heard about OCRP coming back up on here and I am back in black.

Offline knoxed

• #YOLO
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »
Before Garry's Mod

Before Garry's Mod i was playing BF2 Sandbox under name Leonardo_SLO. I had a pirated version of Garry's Mod on my pc but i didn't liked it so much. I kept on playing BF2 Sandbox till the 1.0 version came out. The mod simply died and Sir.Elxx (The dev) stopped working on it.

Yes. I got Garry's Mod

I was trying to get Garry's Mod so bad. One day i asked my mum if she could buy it and she said yes. In the evening i got Garry's Mod. The first server i joined was a sandbox server with full of errors. Of course i didn't had wiremod. Time went past and i started playing bunch of other gamemodes like TF2TD,GMP,GMR,DarkDM but i never tried PERP. Then i stopped playing Gmod for 6 months. I got bored of it. One day i saw the news on Garrysmod.com about OCRP and i said Great! This could be fun. I joined the server 2-3 weeks after the release and i was impressed by the gamemode. I didn't had any experience in RP so i was almost perma banned. Played at Orange Cosmos until i became the most hated person. I joined Catalyst Gaming at the start and i stayed with it.

Offline Prevail

• A7X.
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:47:40 PM »
Hey..how'd you play Cosmos without CSS..?

Offline lemonshit

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:46:37 AM »
Before Garrysmod... I too, just like Knoxed and Nick, played BF2 Sandbox under the name Silentkillz, in the =BTD= Clan. It was pretty fun I have to admit, though there wasn't much to do.

Garrysmod 9... I guess I just started out as everyone else, just watching others for the first hour, then I started fiddling with the tools. I got obsessed with using thrusters, so I linked 10 airboats together with ropes, and put 1000 thruster on each and had everyone flying around this Facewan Flatgrass or something. I didn't play it much, but I also did the RP on it which was a complete failure.

Garrysmod 10.. I just posed ragdolls, messed with the new tools, and then I found DarkRP, which I played for 15 minutes before griefing on it. I went to HL2RP on Hostell, and then I stayed there for about half a year, and that's where I learned how to Serious RP. I then went to TAV, a very stupid PERP community, who had an idiot owner who liked to take down servers for fun and scam people. I left, went to LiveInFear SSTRP (Stupid), played for half a year, and got perma'd for going on a propkilling spree. I then started just going around, building more, and then I returned to Hostell. Me and a few guys split off and attempted to make a new community, didn't work, shut down after a quater of the year. I started to learn how to use Wire, and loved it. I did that on random servers of course. I then found Cruel Intentions, a fairly good PERP server, where I met RoflWaffle. I had a Corvette as my first car, and I saw his Org had Corvettes Only, so I joined it. I stayed with it for a while, even when the org was renamed Catalyst Industries, and then that server shut down. I went to find a new server, and RoflWaffle invited me to Catalyst Gaming and now I'm one of the first members who joined this community.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
I'll keep this short.
I joined a gmod server, called faintlink sandbox owned by UKCS Scooby.
He gave me admin as I was a very active builder.

Stopped playing GMod after a while as my PC died. Came back, played CSS, Gingle played PE PERP, joined gingle. From then on lul.

Offline Meatwad

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »
I played a lot of mods in CS:S back in 2007, in early 2008 I started to go on YouTube more often, I then saw something called "gmod 10" while I was searching for CS:S videos. After seeing those videos I got very excited and bought gmod 10. For the first 6 months all I did was play singleplayer, then I started playing in popular server in the middle of 2008.

Offline SCG-CUREDMYCANCER | Russia

• Awards [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »
Seems kinda odd how EVERYONE has heard of CSS, and then finds GMod after. CRAZY.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal