Author Topic: Welcome to the Outlands  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Welcome to the Outlands
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Either one of two things has happened, you have a pre-developed character on city, but city just isn't doing it for you. All my character does is sit around, spend all their time looking for the resistance (Which always ignores or avoids my character) or sits in the plaza. Or the second, you noticed CG has an Outlands server, you're bored and figured you'd give it a try. Well you made a pretty good decision, most of the outlands regulars might say. Most of them love newcomers to boost the population of the small outlands population.

Well you've just entered the server and noticed a good amount of these people have guns, you want one too. Well your first instinct will be going around asking to buy one or to run around wildly in the map looking for one. Well sadly, you won't find guns on the ground too often, considering that right now, most super admins don't give a shit about outlands enough to spawn items once in a while. Well let's try the first option, buying a gun! Well unless you find a very gullible person willing to sell that MP7 for some tokens, you're out of luck, unless you have something valuable to the person selling the gun, which usually wouldn't happen.

Well shucks, I am unarmed, I am weak, and all these big meanies will push me around. Not necessarily, remember, 'Guns aren't needed to roleplay', and though many of us get upset if our guns are taken or destroyed, you'll most likely get over it. But if you're on the forums, and you are since you're observing this guide, then you can just apply for an IC weapon. If you don't know what I'm on about, then I'll explain. An IC weapon is something such as a knife, baseball bat, hatchet, crowbar or any other conventional weapon you'd find rather easily, or at least easier than a weapon. If you want an IC weapon, the only way to get it would be to fill out an authorization application. It's a simple process and if your app is good enough, then you'll be granted the weapon.

"Well my application got accepted, do I get an item or something to be/represent the knife?" The answer is no. You can simply edit your physical description to show that you do in fact have a knife. "Well why couldn't I just put that in my Physical description in the first place?"
Well because I don't think the admins would take very kindly to someone faking having a deadly weapon.

"Well I'm armed, but there's still all these big meanies with guns that want to kill me!" False. Nearly everyone in the outlands is neutral to newcomers, and unless you've already fucked up, then you're doing pretty well.

"Well I'm armed and nobody actually hates me... but I don't have a group to ride with or any real friends." Simple. Most groups are always open to newcomers, and in fact most of them encourage newcomers. If you're a hardcore feminist, then the Sirens could be for you, or perhaps you're a cannibalistic freak who doesn't mind killing to get his or her way, well the Crazies doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Maybe you want to help the sick and wounded of the outlands, well there's multiple medical groups just waiting for new members. You can see where I am going, there's groups for one and all, whether it be a Military-esque or Mercenaries or Traders or Medics, you'll fit in somewhere.

"Well I'm in a group, have a few established allies and friends, and I have my trusty knife, and last night there was an event and I got a pistol out of it!" Great, but realize now that you have a responsibility. Someone in the Inn got drunk and insulted your shoes, this doesn't give you the right to shoot him. Far too often in the outlands there are simple situations taken out of hand. Two people want to have a simple fist fight outside because of a disagreement. AWESOME! Some entertainment! And maybe I can play hero! Well one person pulls their gun because they're a hippie whose against two men having a small brawl outside, and then another person pulls their gun, and then another, and knives are pulled and shots are fired.

Well. You just brought a simple disagreement between TWO men into a small civil war between FIFTEEN men. This is where people need to calm down. I follow a simple rule. If I see a fight occuring and I realize no weapons are involved, I simply observe. If someone is threatening me and they assault me when it's not a planned fight, I pull my knife, if someone is waving a knife around and tries to stab me, I pull my firearm. Quite simple, it's just one upping someone to scare them off, and it's a rather useful tactic that's kept my character alive for going on 2 years.

Another thing, all too often you young and hip newbies like to make female character. Great! The outlands needs more chicks! Wait. Let's take a look at the physical description 'Long Brown Hair| Large Breasts| Perfect Ass| Ice Blue Eyes| Cute Face'

Alright let's stop right there. You just came from the city... where you were barely fed... I doubt you would have nice jugs and a supermodel's ass. In almost every physical description, we should see 'Malnourished' or 'Extremely Skinny' because let's face it folks, the CCA doesn't feed you 3 full course meals a day with dessert and a nice tall glass of milk. You should be lucky to be alive, nevermind have a muscular body (For the males) or a perfect figure (For the ladies)

Until your character regularly eats most of the available food groups, you're a skinny little shit whose pretty much incapable of throwing a punch or lifting a box of books.

Tray, Oh God! Over the radio, someone announced OTA presence! I need to disconnect, like, now! Oh God, it's too late, he sees me! **[Generic Newbie| Brown Ha...] runs away!

Wrong, sir. The first flaw in that is that you (Just an assumption based on what I've seen happen HUNDREDS of times before, whether it be in CG or other servers.) ran away directly after putting that /me, leaving them no time to react. Now, I know what comes next, they shoot you, and you moan and groan that you lost your weapon, or that it was totally random. Well guess what, fuckface, it really wasn't.

In this situation which I've witnessed, and even been a part on both sides, both the OTA unit and you, assuming you're the outlander, are wrong. You were wrong to run off on that un-elaborated note and the unit is wrong for shooting you, but let's look past this and figure out what to do instead of running and getting shot in the back.

So there's OTA, everyone's running to the inn and throwing a hissy fit. Well good for you, you're now somewhat safe! But moments pass... then minutes... then an hour... How long do these fucking OTA like to stay for? You decide to venture outside. Getting confident there, but we'll let it slide. You begin walking through the forest towards the lake, and from the cliffside you see the dreaded OTA slowly edging their way towards the cliff. Shit. Well it was your fault for getting curious, but hey, it's roleplay and we're all here to have a good time. So they start firing at you, so you turn towards the inn and begin sprinting when suddenly Mister Convenient Radio Announcement Man comes into the airwaves.

There's OTA in town too?! Aw shucks. Can't go that way, they'll see me and scalp me like a chimp with a banana! When all else fails, HIDE. I know you'll be tempted to peek out and shoot them or toss rocks like it's Far Cry 3, but unless you want your character to (Pardon the cliche) end up looking like Swiss Cheese, I'd keep your head down and you mouth shut. So now you're in the area between the lake and the town hiding behind a downed tree while OTA slowly make their way through the woods. What's this... a unit sees you!

Well you know better than to run right off the bat, let's see where this goes. So you try running, the unit raises his weapon, he fires and you take off! You weave through the trees, gunshots erupt behind you! It's up to you now, if you really want to keep RP going, it would be wise to stop every several meters/yards, but if it's okay with the other party, run on ahead. It's in your hands from the moment that you try to flee. But hey, can't you try fighting the OTA? You CAN, but unless it's you AND a few others. it'll be tough.

Now I'm no OTA event expert, but just use common sense, you hate when people minge run from you, so you shouldn't do it either. Nor should you disconnect without an honest reason, it kills RP. OTA are familiar with roleplay, so don't be afraid to roleplay with them, if they're anything like OTA SHOULD be, then you will be able to roleplay flawlessly with them.

I told you the basics on the outlands, the rest is pretty self explanatory, if there's anything that you feel needs to be brought up or expanded on, please help me add to what I already have.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:48:55 PM by T?4. Tray [22nd AB NA] »
Frolie [Tray is Krogan]: sup bra
Tray [Isn't Krogan]: not much panties

Offline Frolie [Jellykid]

• Rich's BoyToy
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Welcome to the Outlands
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »
Nice guide hombre. Seems to be all to often we lose newcomers to supposed mediocrity. Hopefully this guide will give them something to seek out.

I doubt you would have nice jugs and a supermodel's ass.

Got a good laugh out of that.
I'm a fag

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
Out of Character for OOC:
I'm sorry, but when I saw the title of the thread all I thought was this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr8-E8may2Y" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr8-E8may2Y</a>

Just think this:

Welcome to the outlands
We've got fun n' games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money, honey
We got your disease

In the outlands
Welcome to the outlands
Watch it bring you to your knees, knees
I wanna watch you bleed

Welcome to the outlands
We take it day by day
If you want it you're gonna bleed
But it's the price you pay
And you're a very sexy girl
That's very hard to please
You can taste the bright lights
But you won't get them for free
In the outlands
Welcome to the outlands
Feel my, my, my serpentine
I, I wanna hear you scream

Welcome to the outlands
It gets worse here everyday
Ya learn ta live like an animal
In the outlands  where we play
If you got a hunger for what you see
You'll take it eventually
You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me

In the outlands
Welcome to the outlands
Watch it bring you to your knees, knees
I wanna watch you bleed

And when you're high you never
Ever want to come down, YEAH!

You know where you are
You're in the outlands baby
You're gonna die
In the outlands
Welcome to the outlands
Watch it bring you to your
knees, knees
In the outlands
Welcome to the outlands
Feel my, my, my serpentine
In the outlands
Welcome to the outlands
knees, knees
In the outlands
Welcome to the outlands
It' gonna bring you down-HA!

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »
I got a few giggles from that, RTLK. I'll add to the guide as I go along.

AND I CAN'T STRESS IT ENOUGH, EVERY NEWCOMER TO THE OUTLANDS SHOULD BE SKINNY AND MALNOURISHED UNLESS THEY'VE BEEN EATING THEIR FRUITS, VEGGIES AND A FEW HELPINGS OF MEAT!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:04:37 PM by Cpl. Tray [22nd AB E] »

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:54:43 PM »
Hey, HL2RP is on the verge of release, and I, as well as many others, hope to see some fresh blood in the outlands. Join and check out the peoples and places of outlands and continue a character's story, or create a new one.

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:57:10 PM »
I like the part where you mention not to intervene in a small fight between two people. It's one thing that ticks me off sometimes when some people are trying to rp a fist fight and having fun oocly, then 10 people come along and white knight because they have nothing better to do.

P good guide though, I think under the female char part that there is a high chance of being raped, so be careful.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline The Joke

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »
Tray, kudos to you man, I laughed quite a few times during that XD
C45.CCA.JURY-05.755
Activity: Following orders

Zak Grant
Activity: Trying to adjust to the Outlands again

Mike Harolds
Activity:Trying to stay alive in the Outlands

Zak Renolds
Activity: Trying to stay alive in the city

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »
I'll be sure to check outlands out. Seems like lots of fun.

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
Daw, thankies to all of you. If you all want me to add shit, just bring it up.

Tray, kudos to you man, I laughed quite a few times during that XD

And I tried making it somewhat humorous while retaining the facts, glad to know I succeeded.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
I have a suggestion: Add a section full of tips on what to do during an OTA raid. Nothing rustles my jimmies more than seeing people panic and D/C to avoid death.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
I have a suggestion: Add a section full of tips on what to do during an OTA raid. Nothing rustles my jimmies more than seeing people panic and D/C to avoid death.

Will do. With the lack of anything better to do at this moment, I'll do it right now.

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
Well. You just brought a simple disagreement between TWO men into a small civil war between FIFTEEN men.

I've done this sooo many times out of pure fun. The only difference is I just watch the war go on. I've had Rex for around two years and he still has yet to die during this occurance. Although i've seen tons of people die doing this. Thanks for actually pointing this out and avoiding people from making the same mistakes I did/do.

Offline Would you like some 3.14159265?

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 11:02:44 AM »
Well. You just brought a simple disagreement between TWO men into a small civil war between FIFTEEN men.

I've done this sooo many times out of pure fun. The only difference is I just watch the war go on. I've had Rex for around two years and he still has yet to die during this occurance. Although i've seen tons of people die doing this. Thanks for actually pointing this out and avoiding people from making the same mistakes I did/do.

Greg and I killed Rex huehuehuehuehue

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »

Greg and I killed Rex huehuehuehuehue

Honestly, that entire situation was failed due to the fact that kitson can't painRP for the life of him and still somehow had the strength after being shot 15 times to call on the radio for help.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »
+ respect

Simple and fun to read, addressed a number of common mistakes

Great guide mang
o7

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal