Author Topic: Building a new PC  (Read 3898 times)

Offline AcelinH98

• View Profile
    • Awards
Building a new PC
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
Hey.

I am starting to build a PC with my Dad, because i'm fed up of playing on a laptop that can't even run minecraft without lagging.
This is what i'm getting:

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced NVIDIA edition
2-4 fans fitted inside + blue LED's
Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 Processor - 3.33GHz
16-32GB RAM
Graphics card - GeForce GTX 670
2TB HDD
2 flatscreens

I will post pictures when it is finished :3
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:22:43 AM by AcelinH98 »
Turtle since I started gaming - 2001

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Building a new PC
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »
Are you not bothering to get a graphics card?

EDIT: Also, 16-32GB RAM, what the fuck? If you are just playing games, 4GB RAM is your recommended, 8GB at max. 16-32GB is just plain stupid for gaming and a waste of money.

Offline AcelinH98

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »

EDIT: Also, 16-32GB RAM, what the fuck? If you are just playing games, 4GB RAM is your recommended, 8GB at max. 16-32GB is just plain stupid for gaming and a waste of money.

Oh yeah, forgot to add the graphics card. The reason for 16GB is because I record using Fraps, and play a lot of games. I am also getting 16GB just to be on the safe side.

Offline Technical Abbreviations

• Acolyte Of The Carp God Baby
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »

Oh yeah, forgot to add the graphics card. The reason for 16GB is because I record using Fraps, and play a lot of games. I am also getting 16GB just to be on the safe side.

Go for 8, save 50USD. I have a lot of background programs, and I only use up 6 gigs max. Games only use 1-2GB ram normally, so dont worry about ram.
Spoiler for :D:
\\r\\nWe live in the explosion of a bomb that has not yet finished exploding. You and everything you love are debris. Have a good day ^_^\\\'\\\'\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: Who is talking?\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: They sound hot\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: The background\\r\\nDegtyarev: They are 11 :l

Offline AcelinH98

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
Go for 8, save 50USD. I have a lot of background programs, and I only use up 6 gigs max. Games only use 1-2GB ram normally, so dont worry about ram.
[/quote]

I will proberly go for eight, my friend has 6 and his PC runs fine.

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

I will proberly go for eight, my friend has 6 and his PC runs fine.
[/quote]
The only use of 16GB is for ramdisks. Ramdisks are awesome. But probably not worth it for you.
\\r\\nWe live in the explosion of a bomb that has not yet finished exploding. You and everything you love are debris. Have a good day ^_^\\\'\\\'\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: Who is talking?\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: They sound hot\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: The background\\r\\nDegtyarev: They are 11 :l

Offline AcelinH98

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »
The only use of 16GB is for ramdisks. Ramdisks are awesome. But probably not worth it for you.

Could you explain what Ramdisks are? Never heard of them

Offline Rudolph the Master Blaster

• me and smt
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
Personally I think you dont need that i7 "Extreme" Edition Processor. It's really not needed it might be better but its way too expensive.

Intel Core i7-2600K Is probably your more better choice. Your just running games, it's not like your going to be running 5 large programs all at once.

Or if you want to go even cheaper, I5 2500k Is also good. It also outputs almost the same amount of GHz

If you really want that "Extra" speed consider getting a SSD.

You also need a Good case for airflow. There is no use in getting a 670 if the airflows going to be crappy. It's just going to overheat.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 10:47:33 AM »

Ramdisk is when you use part of your RAM as a drive. Say I want a large file that is going to accessed many times, and the entire file must be loaded in order to use it. Instead of loading that entire file into the ram each time then removing it from the RAM, you simply load it in once, and use a simlink to actually use the file if need be. Its very nice but most things are optimized so that its not needed, or even recommended.

Offline AcelinH98

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »

Ramdisk is when you use part of your RAM as a drive. Say I want a large file that is going to accessed many times, and the entire file must be loaded in order to use it. Instead of loading that entire file into the ram each time then removing it from the RAM, you simply load it in once, and use a simlink to actually use the file if need be. Its very nice but most things are optimized so that its not needed, or even recommended.
Ah thank you.

Personally I think you dont need that i7 "Extreme" Edition Processor. It's really not needed it might be better but its way too expensive.

Intel Core i7-2600K Is probably your more better choice. Your just running games, it's not like your going to be running 5 large programs all at once.

Or if you want to go even cheaper, I5 2500k Is also good. It also outputs almost the same amount of GHz

If you really want that "Extra" speed consider getting a SSD.

You also need a Good case for airflow. There is no use in getting a 670 if the airflows going to be crappy. It's just going to overheat.

I will speak to my dad about it, as he is the one picking the stuff, that stuff is what he has told me. The Coolermaster has very good airflow aswell.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:53:37 AM by AcelinH98 »

Offline Psycho29388

• Maximum Autism
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
Get yourself a 2500k and 8 gb of ram, saves you money + better performance.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal