Author Topic: Keiji Maeda's Authorization Application  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Would you like some 3.14159265?

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Keiji Maeda's Authorization Application
« on: August 14, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »
Player Section

Steam Name: Would you like some 3.14159265?
How long have you been Roleplaying? (can be any game): 4 years.
How long have you been playing Serious GMod RP?: 2-3 years.

Character Section

Authorization(s):
Advanced Engineering Skills
Basic Knowledge of Combine Technology

Name: Keiji Maeda
Affiliation: Rebellion

Write a detailed in-canon back-story how your character obtained these authorizations.
From a young age, Keiji was not known for being too spectacular at much. Growing up, he was slower than other kids his age. He was never too enthusiastic, his grades were always mediocre, and he never knew what he was going to do when he got older. Throughout elementary school, Keiji would always get in trouble for never finishing his work. He was always tardy, tried to create any excuse not to go to school, and if it didn’t work, it’d be a rinse and repeat day of the same old story coming from the same teachers about how he never tried hard enough. He knew they were right, but still never tried. He was lucky that the schools ‘Buddy System’ allowed him to pass no matter what. It was relatively the same for him entering High School, until he realized that he HAD to do at least some work to pass. So, that’s all he ever did, just enough to get by. It would be the story of his life when he got out of High School.
Speaking of that, let’s move on to that then…after High School, Keiji had no idea what he wanted to be. He never tried, was never interested, nothing. He could barely hold a job, still had to live with his parents due to the fact he could never have enough money to even buy food for himself, let alone pay rent, bills, utility, all that fun stuff in the real world.
Keiji was only 3 years into post-secondary education when the 7 hour war happened. He had the same story as everyone else’s; went into hiding, was found, put in one of the City’s, and went from there. He spent his life in City 45 regretting his past life, wishing he learned something important to make himself an asset to those who he was friends with in the P3 District, when the Castle ruled over the bar. It was at that time he wished that he had made something of himself before. He decided it was time to learn something, and he finally mustered up the initiative to do so, savaging around for books, magazines and newspaper articles on previous professions and trying to teach himself from there. He used whatever small free time he had to look into what he might consider learning, and after trying to understand and comprehend each skill even basically, one called out to him: Engineering. He would boost himself by understanding that he was still young and had lots of potential. A prospect, he would call himself. He would read old books on computer parts and specs, reading up on how to put together and take them apart, he would read magazines on Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles, and how their parts looked and operated, and would read on old articles about people putting ads on about selling their old washers, driers, fridges, computers, motorbikes, etcetera. Things went well for a while, but he knew he would never get better just by reading, he needed something more.
Then good luck thrust itself upon Keiji. After leaving with Greg, Fenian and the others from City 45 to the Outlands, Keiji was able to seize the opportunity once again. Whenever the leaders were out and the group didn’t have much to do, Keiji would go scavenging for old computers, bringing them back to wherever he may reside for the night. He would find abandoned cars, visiting them day after day to make sure they were still there and hadn’t been touched. Keiji went through this process of preparing himself, readying himself to try out his knowledge on actual works of machinery. After the Castle had been destroyed and the group split up, Keiji found tons of free times on his hands, and capitalized on yet another presented opportunity. All his time of reading and researching enough to understand the basic concept of how machinery and electronics paid off, and he put the newfound knowledge into work, finally cracking open the old beat up computers he found and cracking open the hoods of the abandoned cars he found, searching through them and experiencing the newfound knowledge from there. After stopping at TOTO to purchase himself a toolbox, Keiji would work day in and day out, taking apart these old computers and stripping apart these old cars, not stopping until he understood what each part did and how to successfully remove it safely, inspect it and do whatever he could with it with whatever he had, then properly replace it back in said computer or car with ease. This process took him days and days of work, taking up countless hours of his day. He would sometime put 18 hours a day into taking apart an old computer, sometimes refusing to even stop to eat. This was the most productive and persistent Keiji had been about anything, and he loved every second of it. After teaching himself for hours, days, weeks, he had learned his profession and continued to master it in any which way. But he wasn’t done there- Keiji wanted to go further, bigger. He wanted to learn more.
He decided to take a break from human machinery, instead readying himself to set out along the nearby areas, knowing well the risks that would be taken and making sure not to travel too far from Ineu Pass, so as to keep contact. trying to find whatever means of Combine tech he could. With his trusty Toolbox and the help of radio communication, Keiji was able to stay relatively informed and safe while travelling along these nearby areas, searching buildings for whatever he could find. Due to his lack of survival skills, Keiji could only travel for 5-6 hours in the day time, making sure he was back in Ineu before it hit night time. Keiji continued to repeat this process, until one day he striked luck. An old, red garage, enough the size to fit 3 cars, was Keiji’s next target, and a good find it was. Inside were a few consoles, ones he had only seen a few times on his travel from City 45 to the Outlands.  Intrigued, he cautiously entered the building with his Axe in hand; assuring himself it was safe after a brief 2 minute search of the abandoned area. After convincing his conscience to keep calm, he eagerly visited each of the three consoles, scanning them over quickly one by one. Keiji then proceeded to walk outside, noticing the sun was beginning to lower past the tops of the trees, refusing to take the chance. He marked the area as he head back by putting small landmarks made of wood or stone, knowing his only hope they stayed would be if nature’s course allowed them to be left there. Upon returning to Ineu and sleeping the night, he left early morning to return to the old garage, knowing he could have a good 8-9 hours if all went well. He worked on the first console for 6 hours, only managing to be able to find out how to take the exterior off and knowing which cords on the inside went where. Other than that, he was clueless, and knew he would need more time and the hopes that the place would remain intact long enough for him to learn. He would return every day, each day working on one of the three different consoles, slowly but surely learning what each one did and even attempting to tinker around with the insides cautiously, seeing what he could take apart and put back together.
This would go on for another few weeks, as Keiji’s knowledge of Combine Technology would increase as days went by. Though not as all knowing to Combine tech as he was human tech, he taught himself just enough to know he could continue farther in the future, and that was exactly what he intended to do.

What will these authorizations give your character in regards to perks or defects?
Perks
Perks:
(Engineering) The ability to fix, repair and create different types of machinery and machinery related items, such as Cars, Generators, Consoles, etc.

(Combine Tech Knowledge) The ability to examine objects created by the Combine and understand what they do and how they work to an extensive knowledge.

Defects
Defects:
(Engineering) Repairs will take parts, and parts will be limited. So in order for Keiji to do anything, he would need to take a lot of time to gather the necessary supplies, which would surely take awhile.

(Combine Tech Knowledge) Keiji would only know so much about Combine Tech. Parts for repairs would be VERY limited, and any attempt aat fixing/recreating said items would take longer than normal human machinery and could potentially be deadly, seeing as Keiji doesn't know EVERYTHING about their tech.

What do you plan to do with these perks/defects?
I plan on using this Auth to create myself a more diverse passive roleplay, making Keiji more of an asset than a liability, seeing as he will now be able to make repairs and help out whenever to comes to finding Combine Tech. Hopefully this will open new fields to developing my character and keeping myself and others interested in HL2RP.

Will anyone else need these auths? (If so, list OOC and IC name(s))
N/A

Which server does this apply for?
Outlands

Extra Notes (optional): Edit 1: Touched up combine tech story for a second look at admin approval.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:29:13 PM by Would you like some 3.14159265? »

Offline Elions

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Keiji Maeda's Authorization Application
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:54:41 PM »
I've only been able to skim through the story, so some details may have slipped by me, however. I find the story to be good for it, explains the idea of how he got the skills well enough (though it may require some refinement overall)
The part with the combine tech i feel is a bit 'too' convenient, however it would not be out of place for one or another piece of combine tech to be abandoned after a raid and what not.

Knowing how your RP is too, i'll give this a +Support, but i feel like you need to edit this some more to properly explain some stuff.

Offline Zail

• Weird Gurl Nr.1
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
Interesting story indeed.
I've seen your rp around and I find you capable of the engineering skills.
I don't know about the CCA tech skills, so for now. I'll leave it to other admins to respond.

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »
Interesting story indeed.
I've seen your rp around and I find you capable of the engineering skills.
I don't know about the CCA tech skills, so for now. I'll leave it to other admins to respond.

Here's hoping :P

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 02:02:36 AM »
If you want broad knowledge in regards to Combine technology, 150 words isn't going to cut it even close.

If you want basic knowledge which you've specified at the start of the application, 150 words is going to give you a knowledge of what different components look like and their basic function but it won't let you modify or tamper with working devices.

For that reason, I can't support this at the moment.

Is there a possibility I could edit that part tomorrow around 1-2PMish EST?

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »
Done and done. Looking forward to a reply.

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 05:02:31 PM »
Rightio, it looks good to go.

Accepted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal