Author Topic: Weaponry / Rebellion  (Read 3741 times)

Offline [DGC] Vasey105

• View Profile
    • Awards
Weaponry / Rebellion
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:13:28 AM »
Hi, I was wondering, since I read a topic about a guy wasn't pleased about what RP was actually like. And in the replies they told him that there was no Resistance any more because they were too obvious etc. So is this stll the case? I read on the rules for character applications that you cannot ask for weaponry, as this must be obtained through IC means, such as a knife. Are there actually knives hidden in places?

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weaponry / Rebellion
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »
And in the replies they told him that there was no Resistance any more because they were too obvious

I would argue that there are very few obvious resistance groups that are in operation.

I read on the rules for character applications that you cannot ask for weaponry, as this must be obtained through IC means, such as a knife. Are there actually knives hidden in places?

Knives are gained IC and don't actually exist as an item which can be picked up and used to lower the health of other players.

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »
Make an auth app for knives and such, and get guns by overpowering a low ranking unit, or buying it, or any other plan you could possibly hatch.
Frolie [Tray is Krogan]: sup bra
Tray [Isn't Krogan]: not much panties

Offline [LP]GMK-MRL

• The True Black Male
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:57:40 AM »
There are..."Rebel Groups" but people don't really take them seriously...a good example would be the wolves.

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »
There are a few groups but most of them just do their own passive thing I guess

Offline That Guy in a Box

• I Intend To Live Forever, or Die Trying
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
Just a note: I didn't make the post saying I -didn't- like how RP was turning out for me, I just found it different then how'd I expected it to be. I just thought of it a BIT strange that aspects that drew me in were not actually there.
I think the inspiration box is just a garbage can...
Also, HEY, I'm not inactive I just don't bother posting nine times out of ten.

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »
Physical knives that you can equip are not hidden, nor do they exist in the game world of HL2RP here at CG. When we say you must obtain things through IC means, we mean you must roleplay finding such a thing within reason. Which means, you can't just create your character and instantly just decide they're going to have a knife or gun or anything. However, if you're roleplaying with a group of people and one of them happens to have an authorized, ICly obtained weapon and you, in some way, get it from them through proper RP, your character can then have that weapon. As I said, things like knives or other "homemade" weapons aren't actually physically there for you to equip. Its more of something you have to imagine you have and you have to use /me's to roleplay your actions when using it.

Also, it was mentioned by Cpl. Tray that you could overpower lower ranking units to get guns. This actually isn't true, and is highly, highly frowned upon and its likely that you'll have to explain things and have it dealt with by an admin on the server if you were to ever do this. The main issue is, the only way to get a weapon from a unit is to kill them. And you can't kill them unless you have a gun, which you couldn't have, and even if you did, the firefight would have be RP'd out properly and probably overseen by an admin. So the only other way is to find their dead body, which won't happen, or to prop kill them, which is bannable.

Basically, don't try to get your hands on weapons if you're concerned about that at all. Not saying you are, but just clearing that up since its a commonly asked question. We don't really allow guns in the city to citizens anyway because they just get too out of hand. If you think you could handle a lethal weapon on the city server, the best and honestly only option is to fill out an authorization application in the correct section of the HL2RP area of the forum.

To address the issue of an official Resistance, we've never really had one. Mostly because their goal would conflict with what HL2RP is all about. The CCA is an official faction with one goal, and having an official Resistance with another goal that would work against the CCA would basically change HL2RP into HL2, where its basically just a war zone. The point of HL2RP is to RP living as a citizen under Combine rule, and making your own path, where ever that may lead you. Its not to fight the Combine in gunfights, or try to take back the cities. Its about living in oppression. Resistance RP here at CG is more about hiding in the shadows, keeping quiet about everything, and just trying to survive. Its not about getting vests, guns, and manpower to fight anyone.

Offline GamingZealot

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »
Also, it was mentioned by Cpl. Tray that you could overpower lower ranking units to get guns. This actually isn't true, and is highly, highly frowned upon and its likely that you'll have to explain things and have it dealt with by an admin on the server if you were to ever do this. The main issue is, the only way to get a weapon from a unit is to kill them. And you can't kill them unless you have a gun, which you couldn't have, and even if you did, the firefight would have be RP'd out properly and probably overseen by an admin. So the only other way is to find their dead body, which won't happen, or to prop kill them, which is bannable.

True and false at the same time. You CAN kill units below 02 because non-heavy kevlar equipment has gaps that can be exploited by knives, namely the on in the back of the neck. We had a lot of trouble with this back when there were HaPs and they could be snuck up on, that's one of the reasons you now have two units clamp them. There are two reasons though, that you will almost never get a gun from a unit. First off their biosignals, when they are knocked out or killed we would immediatly know when and where it happened and OTA would come down on you like a hammer and kill you. Second, any weapons in holster are biolocked inside so you could not remove them, so only unholstered guns would be able to be taken, and if a gun is unholstered odds are you aren't gonna be able to take the unit out.
C18.CCA.UNIFORM-RCT.935 says "<:: Yes, I have a pipebomb. Do you require one?
 C45.CCA.APEX-DvL.313 reaches into his magical pocket where everything is contained no matter what it is, and takes out another armband
C45.CCA.UNION-OfC.713 radios in "<:: Oh, and then we get high off of fresh air and have sex with eachother using shotguns as sex toys.
Dr. Amanda Romano broadcasts "Perhaps it's better to compare the UU to an almost miraculous hair growth cream."

Offline Toxilium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »
Before I begin, I'd like admins to notice the vast number of threads being made regarding the "lack of resistence." If I could, I would consolidate them into one thread or re-state each thread's purpose and get them back on topic.

The closest this server came to a rebel group recently was the Castle, but it is utterly defunct now. Greg, Roven and I all but stopped playing Garry's Mod. Shame really, there was potential, but we were constantly bogged down by a myriad of OOC issues. To name a few: lack of administration communication, disregard for community input, horrible faction ratios, massive self-entitlement to CCA players, a lack of purpose for ordinary citizens, over-abundance and an over-recruitment of CPs. I understand some issues may stem from shallow canon, but when did HL2RP ever follow canon when it was inconvenient? Greg is joining the Army or something, Roven is being Roven and I'm going back to university.

Personally, I feel I've exhausted my time spent in HL2RP. It was great when I was a teenager and had nothing better to do than wank, smoke and go to high school. Now that I'm (guessing) 2-3 years older than the average player, coming to realize there is little depth to the setting. I tried introducing substance with my own characters, but it is simply not there. Citizens exist solely to be oppressed. The CCA are exclusively to act as the oppressors to the citizens and opponents to Gordon Freeman. That is it. There are no underlying themes, there's no preeminent or deep questions being asked, even in HL2 which is essentially just a linear FPS (albeit a remarkable game). The environment is extremely shallow and most of us are trying to squeeze orange juice from lemons. It's not going to happen for me. Take a video game like Mass Effect; now that would make a compelling roleplaying environment. You have distinct races and ideals being brought into conflict with each other and at the same time there is an overarching threat to organic life. But I digress, as even Mass Effect is comic-book-deep at best, nowhere near the levels of good literature or film.

TL;DR The ship has sailed. The Castle is dead. I may be on here and there over the next few weeks, but Greg and I aren't playing anymore for the most part. Come September, Greg and I will not be on G-Mod again. Roven is a loose cannon and I'm sure will be back on here and there to grace you all with his presence. HL2RP lacks depth and I am getting too old for this shit.
Ta-ta for now.

Offline [DGC] Vasey105

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
I've found two rebel groups, (sorry if this is off-topic) one of which are absolutely terrible RPers. First of all, they can't spell. And in one what I'm guessing is the leaders physical description, is 'used to be a cop'. And another thing, it says ',wight on band,' or something. I secretly followed them for a while, and at no point did they notice I was watching them and listening to them, in my opinion, a Resistance group should be very cautious and careful. I seen them running around, looking for something. One of them stated 'we should look were no one else would' or something (Note the lack of grammar) I even stumbled across them another time, one said "Eat this paper" and he dropped some paper, and the guy /me'd eating it.  And, seeing those idiots run around (Sorry if I'm being to harsh) really makes the server look bad.

The second group, was actually quite good. Yet clumsy, I quickly located what I assume is their Base of Operation. And over-heard things, a lot of things. Things you wouldn't necessarily shout. After my GMod crashed they'd all left the bar, so I tracked one of them down, easily. And confirmed he was a rebel. He was going around asking people, "Are you a rebel?" and, I don't know if it's just me. But I really hate that statement, you'd think they'd say something more, I don't know, secretive. Y'know, not actually mentioning the words 'rebel' or 'resistance'

Anyway, I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish by this, just thought I'd share it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal