Author Topic: Rp_Carcery (W.I.P.)  (Read 10296 times)

Offline Snapster

• VIP
  • Awards [GMR2 Award] City Circuit Record
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rp_Carcery (W.I.P.)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 04:00:48 PM »
Isnt this the map that I saw on Facepunch and denounced it for copying buildings from PERP2's official map and Evocity2.

No I have rarely posted pictures of this map on facepunch, bad place to announce a map, unless people like you. I built everything from scratch, even the ones that look EXACTLY like the ones in perp2's official map. I never stole any buildings from evocity2.

Also, this is on temp hold, got bored of mapping and will continue sometime this summer.

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »
Also, this is on temp hold, got bored of mapping and will continue sometime this summer.
It happens to all the good mappers. Take as much time as you need.
No point in rushing something and then it turns out to be shit.
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline James

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »
WAIT, no I was attacking synced gaming & awakened for being totally retards, I forgot you made perp_sierracity, I was defending you :p.
But yes, you posted screenies on FP
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1002797-Synced-Gaming-PERP-2-RP_EvoCity_Sy-Serious-New-features-More-to-come
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:31:59 PM by Jamesv2 - Eating a sandwich »
I'm James - derp

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
Looks okay in some way, but you've got a lot of.. blocky-ness, essentially. Most of the buildings you made are practically rectangles with building textures applied to it. Then you have a lack of details set in most areas in your map. And in many other areas, where the buildings are fairly okay, the lighting is a killer. This one for example. You basically have a sky where it's all lit in every other screen shot, but on the other half, the whole ground and the outside brushes are just flat out dark.

It's okayish, though, but I'd work on it a lot more if I were you.

Offline Geno

• Awards [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »
Map looks great, hope you finish soon. I especially love the highway looks really cool.

Offline Snapster

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »
Looks okay in some way, but you've got a lot of.. blocky-ness, essentially. Most of the buildings you made are practically rectangles with building textures applied to it. Then you have a lack of details set in most areas in your map. And in many other areas, where the buildings are fairly okay, the lighting is a killer. This one for example. You basically have a sky where it's all lit in every other screen shot, but on the other half, the whole ground and the outside brushes are just flat out dark.

lol this made me laugh, thanks for the criticism though.
ALL to most the buildings have detail to them. You also have to look at it on how there is a limit of brushes i have to work with, I'm going to use the texture details to do some of the work for me to save me resources.
Compared to a lot and i say a lot of other maps, my map is NO where in being blocky. lol
For the picture you showed as a example i was just testing how my brush work flowed and the entities in it worked, aka a test run of the those two building working together. (I didn't use a env_enviroment + fast compile).
This picture is how the lighting is; here also my map was originally/still made for day/night system.

Also i work on this map for fun/hobby I work on it when i feel like it and this is still W.I.P., most to all buildings will have something else added to them by final release.
Also brovo your the first one to say something negative about my map.

Offline Crap-Head

• #OCRP2
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 06:48:08 AM »
Snapster dont mind him, your map is amazing and the highway part is good and is not anything ive seen anywhere else.

Hopefully you will bring this project up again sometime.
Please do not add me on Steam because you have in-game problems. Make a thread in the correct board on the forum and i will respond to that whenever i have time.

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »

ALL to most the buildings have detail to them. You also have to look at it on how there is a limit of brushes i have to work with, I'm going to use the texture details to do some of the work for me to save me resources.
Compared to a lot and i say a lot of other maps, my map is NO where in being blocky. lol
For the picture you showed as a example i was just testing how my brush work flowed and the entities in it worked, aka a test run of the those two building working together. (I didn't use a env_enviroment + fast compile).
This picture is how the lighting is; here also my map was originally/still made for day/night system.

Also i work on this map for fun/hobby I work on it when i feel like it and this is still W.I.P., most to all buildings will have something else added to them by final release.

As far as I'm seeing, you're no where near the brush limit. I'm also not comparing your map to any other map, that's not how I criticize. When I mean to say most of your map is indeed blocky, I mean it's actually blocky, not less blocky than other maps, or there's hundreds of other maps that are less blocky than yours.

The picture you provided has decent lighting, but I'm still seeing flat buildings with maybe a few beams slapped on them. And that grass in the middle of the road looks somewhat ugly. Change that to a displacement and make it just a bit less... flat-like, and apply a texture that emits detail sprites. But please, do something about the buildings. How they're designed are an atrocity in my opinion.

I'm just gonna end this by saying just because your map is a WIP, it doesn't give you any excuse to be completely blocked off from criticism. In fact, it's even better if your map is being criticized along the way, so you don't have to change everything at the last minute when you're completely done with it. No offense, not saying your work is bad or anything, but if this is literally what you've been doing for more than a month, then you need to like, practice more, because any average mapper can make that street under 30 minutes.

Offline Snapster

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 03:14:07 PM »

As far as I'm seeing, you're no where near the brush limit. I'm also not comparing your map to any other map, that's not how I criticize. When I mean to say most of your map is indeed blocky, I mean it's actually blocky, not less blocky than other maps, or there's hundreds of other maps that are less blocky than yours.

The picture you provided has decent lighting, but I'm still seeing flat buildings with maybe a few beams slapped on them. And that grass in the middle of the road looks somewhat ugly. Change that to a displacement and make it just a bit less... flat-like, and apply a texture that emits detail sprites. But please, do something about the buildings. How they're designed are an atrocity in my opinion.

I'm just gonna end this by saying just because your map is a WIP, it doesn't give you any excuse to be completely blocked off from criticism. In fact, it's even better if your map is being criticized along the way, so you don't have to change everything at the last minute when you're completely done with it. No offense, not saying your work is bad or anything, but if this is literally what you've been doing for more than a month, then you need to like, practice more, because any average mapper can make that street under 30 minutes.

I am close to brush limit about 2k brushes left, my map fills MOST of the grid, not counting 2048 from the direct edge cause sometimes it doesn't compile with it like that. Every building doesn't have to have curves or slants to it, do you know how many buildings don't? a lot.

Like i said, the environmental lighting i can give one shit about cause its made for day/night script. I knew you were going to comment on those buildings; Those buildings don't look like how they look in the picture, changed textures and shit. I haven't got around to in finishing the median, and detail sprites look like shit.

I said thanks for your criticism herp derp. I map for fun, I've been on/off this project for quite awhile, fyi I did make that street under 30 mins. And I don't block all criticism, I have took a lot of idea from other communities i should this too and they helped me.

Also if your a mapper with the screenshots in your profile, you should relook at your HL2 city, You map is also blocky, lighting is mediocre, and streets look meh.

Offline Highdef

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »

I am close to brush limit about 2k brushes left, my map fills MOST of the grid, not counting 2048 from the direct edge cause sometimes it doesn't compile with it like that. Every building doesn't have to have curves or slants to it, do you know how many buildings don't? a lot.

Like i said, the environmental lighting i can give one shit about cause its made for day/night script. I knew you were going to comment on those buildings; Those buildings don't look like how they look in the picture, changed textures and shit. I haven't got around to in finishing the median, and detail sprites look like shit.

I said thanks for your criticism herp derp. I map for fun, I've been on/off this project for quite awhile, fyi I did make that street under 30 mins. And I don't block all criticism, I have took a lot of idea from other communities i should this too and they helped me.

Also if your a mapper with the screenshots in your profile, you should relook at your HL2 city, You map is also blocky, lighting is mediocre, and streets look meh.

Thanks, but this thread isn't about my map, it's about yours. There's no reason to try and derail the topic just to give your self some "criticism retaliation" and etc.

So if those buildings don't look like how they look in the picture, then show how they look. And changing "textures and shit" is barely what I call improvement. And you seem to have a lack of understanding of the meaning of "blocky". When mappers say blocky, they mean it's literally just rectangles with no detail what so ever, besides a few brushes snapped onto that; not as in literal shape-wise. And that's exactly what your map is, rectangles with no effort. And the reason why your detail sprites "look like shit" is because you probably made it wrong.

I honestly don't see why you're writing an essay of denial like the two posts above. It's just simple criticism, and you should be glad you're actually getting some along the way, instead of working a tremendous amount of time on your map, releasing it, then everyone saying it's shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal