Author Topic: How to create a successful CP application.  (Read 3002 times)

Offline putin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How to create a successful CP application.
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
    Civil Protection Application Guide
    In this guide I will walk you through on how to create a Civil Protection application that will be very appealing to the administration and really show that great roleplayer inside of you

Important Notes and Tips:
    • Grammar is a key factor in between your application being accepted and denied. Don't be lazy about this, I personally highly recommend you write out your application in Microsoft Word to help you find simple spelling errors and silly mistakes. Word doesn't do the whole job, you should probably read aloud your application to yourself to help you find awkward sentences. I use this all the time to help me write a successful school paper.
    • Follow all application directions. If they say two paragraphs then write two complete paragraphs, not one sentence, not following directions can cause your application to be instantly denied.
    • Know the canon, you can find information about the Half-life 2 world here: http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    • Remember the year is 2016.

List of reasons for an application to be denied
    • Denied - Your app had a few mistakes and I don't really see you active, try again next round while putting a bit more effort into your app, and be a little more active.
    • Denied - You have a lot of errors in your app, grammar, canon as well as the OOC section not matching with the IC section, not eating rations, not being detained even though you say you have in your OOC section. Try again next time but put more effort into your app.
    • Denied- Holes in application, and major grammar issues.
    • Denied- Not full paragraphs (Might as well add the reason that this character is in detainment to be enter stalkerification) ~Sabotage.
    • Denied- Not full paragraphs
    • Denied- Application is too short and reported in-active.
    • DENIED- A lot of spelling mistakes in your applications. Also you need to revise your canon a bit more. Please reapply in the next application cycle.
    • Denied- Application is too short and major grammar mistakes.
    • Denied- Holes in application and major grammar issues.
    • Denied- Paragraphs too short.
    • Denied- I would like to point out that this is a good application but you have to many fragment sentences. Work on your paragraphs.
    • Denied- Application too short, Run on sentences in first two questions.

As you can see applications are mostly denied because of grammar issues. It is SO easy to check grammar, don't get caught in this trap.

I will explain all sections of the application and how you should probably complete them.

OOC Section

OOC Name:
    Your OOC name, not in-character name.
    IC Character Name:
    You’re in-character name, not your OOC name.
    1) Please write a minimum of 3 paragraphs OOC'ly detailing why your character wishes to join the Combine Civil Authority and what lead your character to do so.
    The first thing to notice about this question is two key words and a number. 3, paragraphs, OOC. If you write anything less than 3 paragraphs you are guaranteed to get denied. Also make sure you write this from a third person point of view, which is what OOC means. For those who don't know, that means write as if your god telling a story about a man. In this paragraph, you need to find a reason other than "I am desperate", "I need to find a reason in life", "I owe the Combine", if you do owe the combine why do you own the combine? What event led you to owning them?. Try thinking about what would lead your character to join the Combine, did a friend die by the acts of an anti-citizen? Do you want to get educated through the combine? Try elaborating. Here are some examples I found from those who had a solid answer for this question.

"My character wants to join the CCA because he is tired of living a monotonous and oppressed life as a citizen. He thinks that joining the CCA is the way to a better life. The prospect of wielding power and control over people is also an aspect of Lucas' decision, although he would never admit that in person."
    -YankeeSamurai

Comment: During the cycle people were only required to write one paragraph. The other thing about this answer is that he should elaborate on why his character feels oppressed and why he things the CCA will offer him a better life. This could have been longer but this got accepted and worked for the administration.

"Saeko has, since the loss of her parents in the Seven Hour War, been trying to live a normal life. Though every day she observes the Civil Protection units, their patrolling patterns and behavior towards the citizens. Though she sees some things as midly brutal (smacking a citizen until they pass out) but she finds it useful if necessary. She has been applying for the Civil Protection in City Eight for about a year now, but her application has always been going unnoticed. Therefore when she transfers to C18 she finds new hope here, due to the amount of high ranking CP's (Uniform) she figured they'd need someone under their command. Therefore she has applied once again for Civil Protection, this time with more hope than before."
    -| SLA | Start Jerkins

Comment:This is a very well written paragraph. He explains why his character is making an attempt to live a normal life. She/he also explains why she/he still has hope. It also doesn't show any overpowering of the character.

2) Please detail your characters traits. (Eg, Pure, Lawful, Trustworthy)
    This part is not as important as the larger answer questions but this can still show your roleplaying ability.
    You need to pick some trains that are both negative and positive. When I read through a lot of applications they only gave their character positive traits which are impossible for humans. I recommend you go to the link at the bottom and choose your traits. Here is a good example of some character traits.

[/list]
    Code: [Select]
    1. Oddball - Lacks social skill overall.
    2. Loyal - Self explanatory.
    3. Respectful - Has respect for all his peers overall.
    4. Dedicated - A dedication to whatever cause or occupation he has chosen unless realizing what he has down is wrong.
    -Yak

Comment: This is a good combination because it shows the good things about him and the negative things about him. He stated his lack in social skill but very smart and respectful, which is a very realistic combination. It is important to be realistic your trait combinations.

Use this to find some traits to use.
    http://cte.jhu.edu/techacademy/web/2000/kochan/charactertraits.html
    3) Please provide 2 paragraphs about what you are expecting the Combine Civil Authority to be like for you and your character?
    For you to successfully answer this question you need to think about your character. Has your character ever fired a weapon? Is your character out of shape? . These things can affect how your character will do in the CCA. You also need to explain how your roleplaying experience will be changed through the CCA and how it will directly affect YOU. A good recommendation is to talk about how your character will react to the CCA then in the second paragraph talk about how you will react to the CCA.
    4) Please provide a detailed back-story from an out-of-character perspective on your applying character. This section must be detailed and consist of a minimum of 300 words.
    This is probably the hardest part of the whole application. You need to create a believable story within the canon on how you came about's to being in City 45. You want to get in detail but not TO much detail. The admins want something not to short, not to long, and sweet enough to convince them you are the right person for the job. The only good way to really explain what a good story looks like is to show you what one look's like. It is also important that you not overpower your character. Take a look at these next few stories.

Spoiler for Hiden:
    'Lucky', you wonder how Rick got that nickname, don't you? Let's get on with then, shall we? Rick Illech was born at Chicago but of Irish heritage as his parents were, growing up was tough, being constantly picked on for his accent and not being of the same descent of his fellow peers, such as name calling and being excluded from social events. One day, the sun was high, shining and beating down on the people below. Rick was eating his lunch joyfully before a group of towering children came before him. Shadows cast over their faces, it seemed almost evil. The harassment started, name calling, exclusion and being mentally and physically attacked. He never really made a friend. He grew up on a farm, doing labor for his parents and helping around the farm.

As he was going through school, he grew attached to one of the horses in his farm, he nicknamed it 'Sparky'. Probably his only friend as his accent and "not-so-charming" looks caused him not to have any friends. 'Sparky' was one day put down, sending Rick into depression. After a high-tension race 'Sparky' broke his leg. His family gave the horse a few months to recover but it only made it worse, after a few months were up, Rick was lying in his bed, cradling and tear covered as he heard a gunshot which made multiple crows fly away. He raced down the stairs to see what it was only to see his father walking up the stairs holding a shotgun, the smoke still coming off of the intimidating weapon. Rick ran to Sparkies pen to see if it scared him, only to see his best friend lying on the floor, Dead, in his own pool of blood, his leg still bandaged and disfigured, the white slowly turning to red. that soon before the Seven Hour War. Jesus Christ, what was happening, he was only nineteen just scrapping by the age requirement to even live.

Ricks depression led him into crime, performing, illegal acts such as mugging, contraband trade, and convincing his fellow citizens to do illegal acts as well, being nicknamed 'Lucky' as his allies or "associates" always took the punishments for him as they often carried out most of the work for him. Feeling bad for associates, he slowly stopped carrying out his acts, one at a time. The memories of mugging innocent men in D2 still haunt him, knocking them out and then dropping them in the subway as if nothing had happened, walking away with a smile on his face, as he brushed off his guilt and counted his tokens. Handing a man contraband and seeing him walk away, only to be brutally attacked by the CP, his stunstick sparkling in the moonlight as he smashed his over the head.
    -Yak
    Spoiler for Hiden:
    Adrian was 19 when the 7 hour war started. By coincidence or by sheer fluke, he was on the way to a rural village to see his girlfreinds parents(going with his gf ofc) when it began, so for all of the war(and a few months after that) they were living in the rural village while the combines started 'sorting' earth out. Him and his girlfreind were having a 'stroll' near a park one day when strange noises occured, and then the people from that village everybody was taken away by the combines into a strange place, later to be a prison. They were both in a cell with about 18 other people when handed the usual citizen
    'package' of grub and clothes, which fitted perfectly which was strange. So a undetermined time later they were taken out by strange suited guys with yellow, deathly eyes and stuck on a train. Nobody knew what the 'eck was going on' so everybody just talked quietly till one of 'them' came in and dragged somebody out, instilling fear into the combine.
       Soon enough, they had got off the train into city 12 ,at the age of 21. They soon found an apartment and furbished it with a few very basic, meaningless items. They began to carry on a normal life as much as they could, and started doing little dribs of building jobs which earn them enough tokens to furbish their apartment and so that they could live a pretty decent life.
       Age 24. Rebels came and started taking over city12, the one they were in. COTA came and fucked everything there up, so they decided to move to city 18, but on the way his girlfriend was taken and killed for she was, a rebel. He arrived there and tried to make a living when the same thing happened, rebels tried to come but city18's CCA and COTA force won against them, and they were so good they inspired him to try and join the CCA but he never had enough courage.
       Age 25. Still trying to gain courage but he was getting on well with his life and had a nice apartment and did occasional jobs for people like building things for them and he had actually got more inspired by the CCA and became a loyalist. He told on quite a few people, of which earned him a bad  reputation to the point where he had no friends and few jobs were wanted to be done by him.
    -Blt

If you want to look at what the stories were like of those who were accepted go to this topic:
    http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=492.30
    OOC Details
    1. How long have you played on role-playing servers in general?
    Tell the truth. The administrator will be able to tell.
    2. How long have you played on serious servers?
    Tell the truth.
    3. How long have you played on Catalyst Gaming?
    They can tell how long. Tell the truth
    4. What Time zone are you in?
    Important for knowing when your active.
    5. In what country do you live?
    ^
    6. How old are you?
    They will be able to tell how old you are, trust me. Tell the truth on this one, administrators don’t discriminate against age.
    7. What’s your most memorable quality RP experience?
    This is an important question to answer because you really need to think about your best RP experience. If you are a good roleplayer you will be able to pull out a really good quality story. This will help the administration see if you are good enough to be in the CCA.
    8. Do you consider yourself a good listener?
    Just say, Yes.

IC Section
    Full Name:
    ^
    CID:
    ^
    Height:
    Be realistic
    Hair Colour
    Doesn't matter to much.
    Eye Colour:
    ^
    Sexual Orientation:
    Just say your straight. If your character was gay then you would still lie on the application.
    Weight:
    Choose between 160-250. Those are solid weights.
    Mental Distinctions:
    Tell something that your character is that is very rare but not to overpowering.
    Here are some examples:
    • Calm
    • Patient
    • Quick thinker
    • Very good Hand Eye Coordination

Mental Defects:
    Be realistic, a mental defect can be anything from depression to a mental disease
    Mental Advantages:
    Don't overpower this one.
    Notable Qualities:
    Say at least one thing, everyone had notable qualities. You might have to use that trait list to find one.
    1. Have you ever been detained or apprehended for a Sociostability Infringement before? If so, explain?
    Don't be dumb. If you say yes don't go to crazy, try staying away from anti-citizen.
    2. Do you regularly eat Combine Civil Authority Issued Rations?
    Say yes.
    3. Are you willing to give your life to the cause of the Universal Union?
    Say yes.
    4. Do you as a Citizen and future Civil Protection Member accept ALL actions performed by you and those under your command as your OWN responsibility?
    Say yes.
    5. Will you remain loyal and faithful to the Universal Union as long as you live?
    Say yes.
    6. Why do you want to join the Combine Civil Authority?
    This was mostly explained in the OOC section, come up with something short and sweet that follows what you said in the OOC section but this time in first person view.
    Please sign the attached oath using only blue or black pen.
    I, __________ hereby swear my mind, body and soul to the Universal Union forever so long as I draw breath. I do so knowing that my actions will be held accountable to me and solely myself. I also declare my knowledge that as a Member of The Universal Union that I will be required to perform tasks above and beyond as well as perform ANY task ordered to by ANY commanding person(s). I hereby acknowledge the fact that as a Civil Protection Task-force Unit that I will be losing most, if not all, communication and or past relationship with anyone outside of the Universal Union's operational bounds.
    [/b]

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:46:00 PM by Bobby »

Offline Scratchie

• test
    • Gold Member
    • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    Re: How to create a successful CP application.
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »
    Good guide.  One suggestion would be to add a few examples in the IC section (for mental defects and notable traits and stuff)

Offline putin

• Gold Member
    • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
    Good guide.  One suggestion would be to add a few examples in the IC section (for mental defects and notable traits and stuff)
    I did add some. I was just getting a bit lazy towards the end.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
    • Gold Member
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
    Very high quality guide, I'm sure this will help many CCA hopefuls. Well done, Bobby.
    o7

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal