Author Topic: Smoking pot nearly doubles the risk of crashes  (Read 12395 times)

Offline gunders007

• View Profile
    • Awards
Smoking pot nearly doubles the risk of crashes
« on: May 05, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
Canadian researchers have discovered smoking marijuana three hours before driving can more than double a driver's chance of being involved in a serious crash. The study examined data collected from 49,111 victims who had been seriously injured or died in an accident. Researchers specifically looked at cases where tetrahydrocannabionol, the active compound in marijuana, was found in the victims' blood stream but where other drugs and alcohol were absent. The study also evaluated instances where the driver admitted to smoking within three hours of the crash. The findings demonstrate that, while those who drive under the influence of alcohol are still more likely to be involved in a collision than their pot-smoking counterparts, marijuana significantly impairs an individual's ability to safely operate a vehicle.

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Smoking pot nearly doubles the risk of crashes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »
Depends on which pot you are smoking, Kush can make you really unfocused... And another type can give you a huge adrenaline. My sister has been driving for almost two years now and she smokes pot while driving (which i don't suggest dong) and she has NEVER ever gotten into a car crash.

You said admitting three hours after marijuana? That's an invalid experiment, that's like saying you drop a ball to find the density of it but you know the height your dropping it from is 1 meter but didn't measure.

In my experience, I'm more aware of what I am thinking about, that means if I know i have been smoking within my last couple of hours then i know that I'm going to have the effects on me to what it has on other people. I'm a little fearless, and it makes me less annoying. By less annoying I mean I am calm and patient. Usually i can skip a video if i don't like it, but i usually watch it all the way through. I have never drove under the influence of Marijuana and I don't plan to. My brain cells are usually focused on the amount of sleep i get and a lot of whether i eat my certain meals a day... Which i don't but i do now. And so far ever since my sleep and eating procedure has changed i have been doing a lot better in school, i can't prove it to you but pot has no effect on my school work.

Offline Kaiser Wilhelm I ?DetroitRP

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
I simply believe that if weed becomes legal, the cannabis smoked must be government regulated so we can get out of the recession and make what is smoked pure (no coke or extra tar shit they put in over here in NYC). It should be regulated like alcohol (cant smoke it while driving and not allowed to smoke it in the workplace or jobs that require full attention). There should be an age limit of 21 to stop 16 year old idiots from smoking weed erry day and not focusing on life. PS: If your going to support Ron Paul just because he will legalize weed, your an idiot as well if you smoke weed when your 16, don't mess up when your that young.

Offline Sectus

• Flutterbutter
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »
I personally try and stay away from the stuff, mainly because I wouldn't want to take such an unnecessary risk.

http://sectussection.tumblr.com - My Tumblr Review Page
https://twitter.com/Sectus12 - My Twitter Page

Offline Penguin

• Jesus Christ Is Real
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
Things are illegal for a reason, as weed is illegal because it causes people to be distracted and can cloud their judgement as to whether to do certain actions. Cell phones can be just as dangerous if put in the wrong hands while driving. I think that weed is a waste of money and not needed for life along with alcohol, it certainly doesn't help you to do these drugs unless they are medically subscribed. Now listen kids don't do drugs.

Offline Dordan

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »
Things are illegal for a reason, as weed is illegal because it causes people to be distracted and can cloud their judgement as to whether to do certain actions. Cell phones can be just as dangerous if put in the wrong hands while driving. I think that weed is a waste of money and not needed for life along with alcohol, it certainly doesn't help you to do these drugs unless they are medically subscribed. Now listen kids don't do drugs.

Not to be mean, but you are far from the truth and are obviously not very educated on the subject. It is not just a drug to have fun with, people use it to help with the symptoms from illnesses and the people that actually do need it as a medicinal drug usually have a hard time making it through the day without the recommended dosages. It isn't just a recreational drug. The reason it is illegal is because when people think of marijuana, they think of dragons and fuckin hallucinations because they don't know anything. On the politics side, the conservatives don't want to admit they are wrong after all these years of fighting the drug. I smoke pot about once a week and I have bad ADHD and I do not take meds. The week after I have smoked I am way more concentrated and can actually get stuff done.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »

Not to be mean, but you are far from the truth and are obviously not very educated on the subject. It is not just a drug to have fun with, people use it to help with the symptoms from illnesses and the people that actually do need it as a medicinal drug usually have a hard time making it through the day without the recommended dosages. It isn't just a recreational drug. The reason it is illegal is because when people think of marijuana, they think of dragons and fuckin hallucinations because they don't know anything. On the politics side, the conservatives don't want to admit they are wrong after all these years of fighting the drug. I smoke pot about once a week and I have bad ADHD and I do not take meds. The week after I have smoked I am way more concentrated and can actually get stuff done.

He does say unless they are medically subscribed and if you think that cannabis can help with the symptoms of ADHD then perhaps you should look into medical trials - heck you might be on to something and you could even do the trial yourself at some point to see if it is possible that cannabis has a positive effect for certain problems like that.

On another note cannabis was legalized a few years back in England but it was made illegal again for a good reason; people started to switch to stronger stuff e.g. skunk. This was very bad for you and so the law was revoked because they couldn't tell if people would be smoking regular cannabis or stronger stuff. And Penguin makes a good point; everything from Alcohol to Tobacco is a waste of money but so is a lot of stuff we do for recreational purposes, so I have no room to judge.
OCRP IC name: Rudy Smith

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 06:42:41 PM »
I think that weed is a waste of money
So are video games like what we are playing today. Talk about waste of money, I've spent more money on video games than pot. But you can pirate games for free, I can grow marijuana for free too and get much out of one plant... Both are illegal to do too.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 08:10:21 PM »
So are video games like what we are playing today. Talk about waste of money, I've spent more money on video games than pot. But you can pirate games for free, I can grow marijuana for free too and get much out of one plant... Both are illegal to do too.

You should move to Spain (I think) I heard recently that either it was being implemented or was going to be implemented something about legalizing home grown marijuana. It would still be illegal to sell it so the idea is that people make it them selves - they harm them selves and enjoy themselves if they wish BUT there would be no drug trade for it and it would only be effecting the grower. It is a pretty smart idea that fixes the main problem with drugs; the crime associated with it.

Also yes, video games are a waste of money - but so is every single piece of anything that isn't keeping us alive, they are still necessary though because otherwise we would be working to work, rather then working to live.

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
Or I could visit Amsterdam again, it's a beautiful place and the crime rates aren't high. You can walk around and go to great stores along with the street performers which are really good.

Offline Penguin

• Jesus Christ Is Real
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
Video games don't have to be illegal, and growing your own without the right permits is far more illegal than downloading a pirated game.

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
Weed is NOT harmless. It can slow reaction times and excessive use can cause irreversable damage. It also just makes you stupid. And Rory, you're like 7, you shouldn't be smoking weed.

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »
Weed is NOT harmless. It can slow reaction times and excessive use can cause irreversable damage. It also just makes you stupid. And Rory, you're like 7, you shouldn't be smoking weed.
Depends on what type of weed you get...
Spoiler for Hiden:
And Renegade you have autism.

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 12:46:23 AM »
It doesn't depend on "what weed you get". It's all the same.

Second, do not fucking insult me. I will not be insulted by a 8 year old white trash moron whom abuses controlled substances.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 11:13:46 AM »
Lol flame war starting :L

And renegade are you serious? Saying all forms of cannabis is the same is like trying to say there is no difference between vodka and Cider. Regular cannabis has been proven to be less harmful then alcohol, both physically and mentally. The harder stuff is can have very severe consequences, which is part of the reason that it is illegal in some places.

Also on an off topic note, you sorta started that by calling him 7 years old (which I doubt is the truth xD)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal