Author Topic: Role playing - "Think you're good? Here's the nooks and crannies." [HL2RP]  (Read 12470 times)

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hazard time, thank you for your words of wisdom, and thank you for being REALISTIC about your response, unlike the admin involved.

The sum of this thread is to open atleast another net, to catch a minges eye and teach them how to roleplay.

The game isn't fun unless you immerse yourself into it. Act as you would in real life, it truely is a very fun thing and it rots the hours away like a good book.

Having said that, why do the citizen's run so fucking fast? There IS a simple way to calm that down you know?

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Maybe I'll write up a guide on how to train newbs. Yeah. I'll do that.

Offline [IGL] Shanaro

• View Profile
    • Awards
The only thing I disagree with is the "Age Requirement" I started roleplaying HL2RP when Kuro first made his script, I was 15 at the time, and was considered a very competent roleplayer.

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Statua, good idea, but as for the age thing, okay, yeah, I know a few younger kids who can roleplay well, but regardless, some roleplays are taken to the extreme. the only reason I said anything about age is because older people are going to understand more clearly what it takes to make the game more fun for everyone, instead of expecting all the fun to be for themselves, at the expense of other players.

Offline Dogo the Immortal

• View Profile
    • Awards
do you all think i'll be good at roleplaying? My main language isn't english :/

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
It doesn't matter what you speak, it's how you speak it.

You can be good at role playing if you follow a few simple rules, such as.

PAIN RP - You have been shot, YOU CAN'T WALK. Most likely you're limping because of a beating or maybe just a small wobble to a scuffed knee.

FEAR RP - Fear the consequences of your characters outcome. You wouldn't walk up to a 6'0 super solider and tell him to go fuck himself if it meant you were getting the dog shit beat out of you.

Passive RP - Nothing going on around you? Rp going up to a machine, putting in your tokens, and grabbing a can from the tray. RP sitting on the bench, reading a book. This opens opportunity for someone to notice your little details, to start a conversation expanding on the bigger ones. (No one really knows the power of this tool.)

Immersion - Act as if your screen was the view from your eyes. You are in the shoes of your character.

And most of all, remember the point of the game. It's to survive in an oppressive atmosphere with the fear of your life ending by a slip of your tongue.

If everyone just followed these simple steps, and incorporated them into one large picture, role playing runs effectively, smoothly, and is most importantly, enjoyable.   

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
If everyone just followed these simple steps, and incorporated them into one large picture, role playing runs effectively, smoothly, and is most importantly, enjoyable.

I've been saying this for years and people still don't listen. We need to find a better way to convey this.

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I agree, but there's no better way then to try and change the mindset of hl2rp players with propaganda that positively reinforces good roleplaying. We can't just shock them into wanting to roleplay correctly.

Offline LT Cmdr Snakeslaw

• View Profile
    • Awards
I like this guide you've made, it's helpful for new players to serious roleplay. Good work man.

Offline Reverend Autbelli

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Now you, my fine sir are a good roleplayer

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Now you, my fine sir are a good roleplayer

Thank you, I appreciate the complement, I just want to spread the word to make a better game! And thank you too Snakeslaw! Glad you read it, recommend it to other people!

Offline WaldoOfWhere

• View Profile
    • Awards
About the body thing though, they disapear faster when theyre not being held.
Fornicate Irritable Women, Become Currency

Offline tdabamf1

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
HOLY SHIT. I completly agree, thats why their should be a LOOC timer. Shit.. It's soo anoying when peopel talking on looc.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
HOLY SHIT. I completly agree, thats why their should be a LOOC timer. Shit.. It's soo anoying when peopel talking on looc.

To interject: I believe that this rule would NOT be a good idea as LOOC is used for quick things like Admin stuff/Teaching/Clarification of an RP situation. However LOOC spamming should carry consequences.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Tapir!

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I think some people have forgotten what role playing is about. Let me remind you; It's about immersing yourself in a different reality while pretending to be the character that you are playing.

Immersion's definition:

noun

an act or instance of immersing.
state of being immersed.
state of being deeply engaged or involved; absorption.

Half Life 2 Roleplay isn't about earning money, it isn't about gaining stats, it's not about achieving a certain goal, it's about developing a character's story within a different reality, and making your character survive a scenario.

This means, when you play Half Life 2 Role Play, you surround yourself in the world you are in. You're not in your safe little American/British/Danish homes or cities anymore. You're in a city run by the civil protection who are known to snap necks over curse words, and beat over running. They are to be FEARED.

-Here's a problem brought up earlier in OOC about failure to immerse in the game mode.

Combine: "Get out of here!"
Citizen moves back five feet, continuing to stare
Combine pulls out electric baton
Citizen stares

Not really sure what this means, if that is /me'd all of it, well then take it ICly, yeah theyre supposed to fearRP but fearrp can result in just standing still doing nothing (kinda like paralyse)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is bull shit. It makes the game unenjoyable not only for the combine, but for other citizens spectating. Other citizens are supposed to see the compliance and control that the combine have over the citizens; It's all a part of the atmosphere of the game.

- Another problem that I constantly deal with; The CCA are talking, they chit and chat, I get involved with them trying to roleplay seriously, and then the LOOC chatter starts happening about something completely retarded, and it kills the mood of the game.

Combine: Citizen, I need to speak with you
Worker: Yes sir, what's the issue
Combine: This citizen is very hurt, and needs medical assistance
Combine(LOOC): LOL D00D TRICYCLE STUCK HALF WAY UP HIS ASS.
Worker: Right... uh, i'll get on that.
Combine2(LOOC): ARE YOU GONNA GET THE TRICYLCE OUT LOLLLEIESSS, LETS GO GET DONUTS BRO!

If someone asks for (L)OOC silence during RP, people should comply to that. Its up to the people involves/around if they want to chat meanwhile or not. If someone keeps talking looc while rp even after silence was asked, tell an admin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is just annoying and bothersome. I don't like how often OOC is used in this game. OOC should be for explaining something that happened on accident in game or having to do with glitches within the game, not have a separate conversation with the person you're playing with, if you wanted to do that, go into SF and save the rest of us the mood kill. Maybe we should play with it disabled for a little while and see what it's like?

OOC is for people to chat with eachother, can be whatever. Rules, help, anything, dosnt even have to be (HL2)RP related, if you are so bothered by OOC chat, turn it off in settings.

-Dead bodies, STOP GRABBING THEM AS SOON AS YOU SEE THEM. First of all, you're all malnourished citizens, there's no way you'd be able to lift a body up off the ground and carry it. Second off, it's just plain stupid, dead or unconcious people don't get picked up and thrown around, think about how ridiculousness that would be in real life.

Grandma faints
Grand child 1 picks up grandma by back, slamming her around as he walks her up the stairs, placing her down in a weird positon
Grand child 2 jump crouches over the grandma, picking her up again and setting her down only to be annoying

Its already kickable/bannable to fling corpses around for no reason and specially without /me since its well powergaming. if you see this, again, call admin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Retarded.

For a roleplaying world to come alive, we need everyone's help and cooperation. Just stop being minges and trolls. When you see something different, be mature about it, look at it, gaze it, don't run up and steal it, or try to break it.

And truth be told, if you're under the age of 16, you shouldn't be playing HL2RP. You should be playing some other lesser game mode because without an established high school education, you can't have the maturity to appreciate this form of acting. That doesn't apply to EVERYONE, however, I'm sure most would agree that 18 year old and older are more serious than 14 and under...

Age dosnt have shit to do with RP-skill or anything. I was admin on hl2rp aswell when i was 14, got DvL  and was never banned. There are people 18+ that are bigger failures and dicks than people around 13. It comes down to the PERSON not the age. A 12yearold can be a better RPer than someone 18. Yeah it sounds unlikely but sometimes it does happen that a smart kid comes around

Sure, this was sort of a rant, but it's a rant that's been a long time coming, help the server get it's atmosphere back, and do your part. It only takes one idiot to fuck up the entire game for everyone.

My answers arei n red bold.

I agree with your responses, .apex.  It does seem like your out to shoot him down, but I totally agree with you, and here's why:

If someone asks for (L)OOC silence during RP, people should comply to that. Its up to the people involves/around if they want to chat meanwhile or not. If someone keeps talking looc while rp even after silence was asked, tell an admin

I was the CAs assistant yesterday, and I was upstairs transcribing conversations. I took the job waaaay to seriously,and would like format the pages and shit. This took a lot of attention. As I was doing this, the two OTA got into an LOOC conversation about some funny joke or some shit. Most people up there didn't care, the OTAs were joking, the CA was laughing, and the citizen was typing their next message. I was annoyed, because, my shit was getting buried. So i said "Okay, quit the fucking LOOC Chatter." and they shut RIGHT up. That is the way it should remain, no BS limits on LOOC or anything.

OOC is for people to chat with eachother, can be whatever. Rules, help, anything, dosnt even have to be (HL2)RP related, if you are so bothered by OOC chat, turn it off in settings.

I'm 50/50 with this one. On one hand, global OOC does deserve its right to have any discussion, however, my opinion is if your going to have a full-blown conversation, take it to PM, or find them IG-OOCly and take it to LOOC. The odd tits or cock in OOC is funny, and the server reactions as a high-ranked admin joins is funny too, as well as the odd small conversation or whatever. But remember, this is a text based game, so EVERYONES RP shouldn't have to suffer because a few of you wanted to CONSTANTLY put tits into the chat. *AHEM AHEM* If you wanna do that shit, or have a full blown conversation, take it to PMs is my idea now (thrust upon me by the oh-s0-smart admins)

Its already kickable/bannable to fling corpses around for no reason and specially without /me since its well powergaming. if you see this, again, call admin

This is probably the only comment i can say, Nothing can be done, or i've not yet seen anything creative enough to stop this. flinging corpses for no reason is a major problem. So is falling for no reason. One thing I could say we could do is make it so, to carry a corpse, unless you are CCA, you require two people. Minges never really work in groups, plus this would make Resistance RP more intresting. And mabye, one person could drag a corpse, but they'd be slowed to a slower-than-walk speed, that way, if they're a minge they can be stopped, and dragging corpses to hide them is still a viable solution.
But I digress.  My point is, although it's bannable for flinging corpses. the people who usually do it are minges who have nothing better to do than fling the corpse, than lolrun from the admin. I've seen experienced minges who can dodge a physgun like it's a laser from a walker in War of the Worlds. It's impressive, actually. Theres not much that can be done about that.

Age dosnt have shit to do with RP-skill or anything. I was admin on hl2rp aswell when i was 14, got DvL  and was never banned. There are people 18+ that are bigger failures and dicks than people around 13. It comes down to the PERSON not the age. A 12yearold can be a better RPer than someone 18. Yeah it sounds unlikely but sometimes it does happen that a smart kid comes around

YES. THANK YOU. I ACTUALLY FACE PALMED WHEN I READ WHAT HE SAID. Age does NOT equal maturity. I play airsoft, and the indoor field i play at created "over 16 only" midnight games, to try to give arenas that didn't have 12 year old codfags running around screaming and cussing because their mommys saw the yearly membership as an opportunity for cheap daycare. I've found, that more often than not, these midnight games are a PROBLEM. Immature 16 year olds are a much larger problem, both physically and communicativley, than immature 12 year olds. And boy oh boy, immature 16+, not in short supply. At all. Age is not the issue, maturity is the issue. It's not necisicarally true that the minges are immature, either. We all just need to understand what we are looking for in good RP, and to put leashes on everything we say and do, that's not good RP, that's creative stranglehold.

But yeah, anyway, i'll probably get warned for necropost supreme with this one. I just wanted to add my two cents, because i thought this topic needed it. That is all.

Post Auto-Merged: July 31, 2012, 08:00:28 AM
do you all think i'll be good at roleplaying? My main language isn't english :/

Well, i have to say, the first line of your response Klashy, made me feel like you were shooting this guy down.
He's saying he doesn't speak english too well, so that first line was like 0.o wut?

But yeah, its not really about having PERFECT spelling or grammar. Make your characters speak english the way you do, but be careful, the CCA could consider it an imperfection

It doesn't matter what you speak, it's how you speak it.

You can be good at role playing if you follow a few simple rules, such as.

PAIN RP - You have been shot, YOU CAN'T WALK. Most likely you're limping because of a beating or maybe just a small wobble to a scuffed knee.
Yes.

FEAR RP - Fear the consequences of your characters outcome. You wouldn't walk up to a 6'0 super solider and tell him to go fuck himself if it meant you were getting the dog shit beat out of you.
Oh yes.

Passive RP - Nothing going on around you? Rp going up to a machine, putting in your tokens, and grabbing a can from the tray. RP sitting on the bench, reading a book. This opens opportunity for someone to notice your little details, to start a conversation expanding on the bigger ones. (No one really knows the power of this tool.)For me, trying to report 2 audio violators turned into them (pretending to) befreinding me, taking me to their apartment, us sharing some donuts and tea, and then getting the shit beaten out of me with a tea kettle and tossed out a window because "snitches get stitches."

Immersion - Act as if your screen was the view from your eyes. You are in the shoes of your character.
It's more than that. I like to give every voice a personification, in my head. If it says british, i read it with a british accent. I read the CPs like a Vocoder. It's why we use text, instead of voice chat. theres a lot more, but i feel like its too much to go listing out. XD

And most of all, remember the point of the game. It's to survive in an oppressive atmosphere with the fear of your life ending by a slip of your tongue.
That depends on what you do, and where you hang out.

If everyone just followed these simple steps, and incorporated them into one large picture, role playing runs effectively, smoothly, and is most importantly, enjoyable. It's not just the steps, its caring to do the steps right. if I were to half ass it, I wouldn't improve RP, i could actually damage it more heavily. It's about the effort that you put in, not the tactics that you use.
Necropost SUPREME.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:00:28 AM by Tapir »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal