Author Topic: GMOD STILL CRASHING? READ THIS!  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Crap-Head

• #OCRP2
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
GMOD STILL CRASHING? READ THIS!
« on: December 17, 2011, 05:38:08 AM »
Alright. So Garry has announced here: http://garrysmod.com/post/14317651397/garrys-mod-is-working-again that GMod is working again, but with issues. I believe most of you here doesnt read that site, and is not aware of how to fix the issue. When reading his way to fix, it only states that you need to rename your garrysmod folder or reinstall. Then you wont have anything and it will be a fresh install of gmod which is annoying.

Heres a quick guide on how to fix gmod if its still crashing for you, and how you can quickly move over your files to a working version of gmod.

Step 1.
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\*username*
You will see most of your Steam games here. Now rename the "garrysmod" folder to "garrysmod2".

Step 2.
Now start up GMod.

Step 3.
Close GMod.
In your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\*username* you will now have a "garrysmod" folder and a "garrysmod2" folder. The "garrysmod" folder is the one that GMod is "using".

Step 4.
You now want to copy everything inside "garrysmod" to "garrysmod2" EXEPT the hl2.exe file. DON'T copy that.
When it asks if you want to overwrite, click yes to the folders and for the single files as well. Overwrite everything you are copying.

Step 5.
The "garrysmod" folder should now only have the hl2.exe file in.
Delete the "garrysmod" folder and rename the "garrysmod2" folder to "garrysmod" again.

Step 6.
Start GMod again and you will have everything you had before and it will be working perfectly fine.
Enjoy.

Just something simple i put together for those of you that are still having issues with gmod. Questions and such, just put them in here.
Please do not add me on Steam because you have in-game problems. Make a thread in the correct board on the forum and i will respond to that whenever i have time.

Offline [RG-O] jamiecross5

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: GMOD STILL CRASHING? READ THIS!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:37:09 AM »
Thankyou, I was haveing lots of probs with the HL2RP and some other gamemodes Lua errors.
Edit: It wont let me rename my garrysmod folder.

Edit: Fixed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:40:57 AM by [RG] jamiecross5 »
This photo is cursed.

Offline eXystis

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »
When you said
The "garrysmod" folder should now only have the hl2.exe file in.
Delete the "garrysmod" folder and rename the "garrysmod2" folder to "garrysmod" again.

Why would you delete all your addons and such in the new "garrysmod" folder, and just keep the hl2.exe in "garrysmod2"? I thought the idea was to transfer everything but the .exe from "garrysmod2" to "garrysmod"?

"If you assume things, you're and idiot for assuming things."

Offline Crap-Head

• #OCRP2
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:19:44 AM »
When the "garrysmod" folder is created, its empty. Its a fresh install of GMod.

What you copy from "garrysmod" to "garrysmod2" ("garrysmod" is the fresh install, "garrysmod2" is your where all your shit is"), the only things you copy over is some new modules and such.
Please do not add me on Steam because you have in-game problems. Make a thread in the correct board on the forum and i will respond to that whenever i have time.

Offline Alex

• AKA RoflWaffle
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 05:18:14 PM »
I thought this topic was serious... but when I saw Crap-Head's name I was like

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:54:04 PM »
I see. I told some to verify there cache and it worked for them apparently.
hello my name is Ryan Fournier. I am known on the internet as autism, and I like to pretend I am a little boy named Jamie Laou, a Justin Bieber look alike. I am not 18, so don't listen to me when I say I am. I'm roughly 13 years old.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal