Author Topic: Operation Catalyst Revivification  (Read 11028 times)

Offline Napalmmonkey

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Operation Catalyst Revivification
« on: April 13, 2016, 09:49:48 PM »
To all of the cancerous users that still wander this forum from time to time, we must act. Catalyst has been dead for quite a while now. No game modes are up, and even if they were, no one would play them. I am proposing a plan to revive our once great community, and move past this time of great parel. We must stand strong to recover, and ensure the bright future of Catalyst Gaming. Inb4 “its already dead, faggot. there’s no turning back!” If you are looking at this forum, you obviously enjoy watching things die, or you want to revive CG. Either way, stfu and read the post.

Step 1. Put HRP back up. This sounds fairly straightforward, but we must convince Alaskan to stop stocking the shelves at Officemax for 2 minutes, and actually through $30 into putting the servers back up. It seems our lord and savior comes to this forum every once in awhile to spam racial slurs in the Shoutbox, so I’m sure he’ll see this.

Step 2. UPDATE SOMETHING, FUCKING ANYTHING. I don’t care if I get a fucking Apache attack helicopter that shoots giant purple dildos, just add some new shit that costs a mere fortune so people will flock to the server for a few hours to enjoy the shit storm.

Step 3. After we have attracted the attention of a few morons, others will follow. We must do anything to get the word out, tell your friends that our cancerous community is opening back up, or go to Pewdiepie's comment section and spam “CG IS REOPENING, FAGGOTS! COME PLAY, OR I’LL i'm an idiot for assuming things UR TOASTER.”

Step 4. Get new devs (or just make the old ones stop fapping off in their closets (inb4 Someone77 says “I tried my best” or “kys faggot.”)) Put them on a tight schedule, maybe lock them in Alaskan’s basement a gunpoint, to ensure that updates are actually released. Once the content starts flowing, so will the cluster fuck of 7 year old squeakers with mommies credit card.

Step 5. All about that update grind, update the shit out of HRP. I don’t mean create new content, naw fuck that shit. I mean grind that fuck out of shitty Gmod sharing sites, buy all them fucking vehicle and weapon mods. Just flood out these easy updates weekly or biweekly, and get the community involved in some regard. Like actually listen to their suggestions, instead of approving them and sitting on them for 5 years.

Step 6. HRP won’t last long, as everyone and their mother has already played the shit out of it. We must expand to other cancerous RP game platforms, like Arma 3, or just make a whole new gamemode on Gmod, like CGRP.

Step 7. Profit. aka Alaskan goes 5k in debt for a few months, until some kiddies donate a fuck ton of money for VIP privileges.

Step 8. If this doesn’t fail (Which is entirely unlikely), then CG is revived, and we can all go die under a rock knowing that CG stood another few months. Or maybe people will want to play due to amazing updates and the great support from admins, like the good old days.

I love you Catalyst Gaming, the best gaming community I have ever seen, and let us pray that the shit lords don't kill themselves over this post. 
Quotes from my hero Liberty Prime
"Communism is the very definition of failure!"
"Democracy is non-negotiable."
"Death is a preferable alternative to Communism!"

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Operation Catalyst Revivification
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
good luck with that, but from a realistic point of view, CG's time is pretty much over and these forums serve more of an archive purpose these days. A lot of people have moved on now anyway

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »
Fuck Gmod and fuck RP. It's had its time now it can stay buried.

New games? I like Insurgency. Make an insurgency server now.

Either way, no one really plays gmod anymore? I don't know because I stopped playing two or three years ago. It was a cancer on my life in which I wasted nearly 1700 hours. I still waste time on games but shit, gmod gave me leukemia.

Tbh Wafflesan probably doesn't have the time or motivation to keep doing this, and I don't blame him. It was good while it lasted.
I think Gmod is more for nostalgia and the people who have stuck around can still talk and spread their political agenda *cough* Cow *cough* ;)

All that said, it would be nice to see it on the up again, but that won't happen.
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 08:41:07 PM »
I actually know an assload of people who wanna play HRP but dont wanna join the communists over at 'anotheredgyname gaming' who instead of helping CG, made their own shit. If the server gets tossed up, it might be enough to get it going but someone's gotta feed the server with updated and changes to keep things interesting and that's the issue CG has. I probably wouldn't play HRP. I'm kinda really fucking into Space Engineers (see my thread in other games if you wanna join) and like Jigger, I'm done with RP for awhile.

It's a good idea. Find a dev and it'll thrive.

Offline Tyrex

• we won spam
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:36:44 PM »
a little off-topic, but the whole problem with gmod communities was the fact that they always tried (and still do) to make a profit, you can't make a profit off of serious rp gamemodes without ruining it

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 12:40:38 AM »
Roleplay microtransactions are actually extremely profitable because the profit margin is 100%.

The problem is that a community without ongoing content development and releases has a limited lifespan. Catalyst operated within profit for 5 years, that's pretty good for a Garry's Mod community. The only reason it really stopped is because developers became scarce.

I could write a book on why I think that is, but in short developers used to be free and plentiful. There were hundreds of kids 14-18 looking to learn programming and lua was easily accessible. Once these individuals became adults though they got real jobs and moved on. The popularity of Garry's Mod is waning so there's no 'next wave' of kids wanting to learn Lua. Here lies our problem, development is no longer cheap/free. If we want HRP to be fixed even to a stable working state it would cost us thousands.

This is compounded by the fact that our fearless leader has made quite the name for himself over the past 7-8 years in the GMod community as something of a skiddie and piece of shit. I know him well so I know this isn't the case anymore, but when I go up to any proper Lua developer in the community the conversation goes something like this:
Me: Hey I'm looking for a Lua developer to work on fixing some bugs in a gamemode, paying 10-20 an hour.
Dev: Maybe, whose it for?
Me: Catalyst
Dev: Isn't that owned by Roflwaffle?
Me: Yes but he's not as bad-
Dev has gone offline.

So I wouldn't say it's impossible for a new Garry's Mod community to operate within a decent profit margin, I just think Catalyst has seen it's come and go, at least in Garry's Mod. Unfortunately there hasn't yet been a game with as much extensibility as Garry's Mod that has been picked up by this large community. Garry's Mod roleplay will be dead within a couple years. I'm not sure where those individuals are going, but it's not here.

Remember though, Waffle and I aren't here to say you can't do anything. If you, as a community, want to all play a game, let us know and we'll help. Being that we have no more income we don't exactly have servers to host anything for anyone, but I'd certainly be willing to create a board/advertise/monitor a server put up. We'd be willing to negotiate the server being listed under the name of Catalyst-Gaming.

We have no intention of trying again at HRP in the immediate future. If someone is willing to front their own cash for a server to run it under Catalyst's name, we'd be happy to set it up, but for right now we don't see it as a profitable or worthwhile decision.

Thanks for sticking around guys, I'm glad users are still around to talk, but like Abbott said, the forum is here primarily as an archive and less as a game server host.

Offline Napalmmonkey

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »
Well, I'm a lazy fuck, so unless someone else wants to search for a dev, rip HRP.

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »
If someone is willing to front their own cash for a server to run it under Catalyst's name, we'd be happy to set it up, but for right now we don't see it as a profitable or worthwhile decision.
Question is though, what game. What's popular enough to draw enough people?
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline Napalmmonkey

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »
We could try Arma 3, Naked Men Beat Each Other With Stone Simulator 2016 (Rust), or just stick with Garry's mod, as we already have access to a bunch of assets. Arma 3 would be really good, it's RP assets can improved massively with the use of mods. RUST would be cheap, as we would just have to download we shitty management mods and charge $50 for OP kits.

EDIT: I would like for Nicknero and Alaskan to give their opinion on the situation.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:43:27 PM by Napalmmonkey »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 04:07:14 AM »
Space Engineers

Offline Napalmmonkey

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »
Space Engineers wouldn't be bad either.

Offline Adam S

• I FUCK HORSES AND I HAVE AUTISM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 01:36:02 PM »
IMHO CG should stay dead. It had it's run and the only thing you will accomplish by trying to revive it would be what Jake did to OC twice... Nothing. Even if you managed to find a developer i doubt they would understand how to properly implement new things into the old tattered code of DarkRP HRP uses (Even tho Wake re-coded a few bits). The developer issue was not even the big issue. It was Management.  The only person who actually cared about CG when it was dead was Somone who kept everything online.  Everyone else just played around or trolled for the hell of it.  There was no structure to the staff or proper enforcement of rules or lack of shit to fix broken rules or the ones that actually kept HRP From being fun. Let's not forget 75% of the staff being inactive and people who are not going to be named going "OH THEY ARE VOLUNTEER THEY CAN STAY STAFF AND JUST COME AND GO AS THEY PLEASE" even tho some have not logged in, in months.  Active staff is key to a community management.  But having piss poor staff managing it like we had in some cases in HRP really did not help also. Not to bash on Roflwaffle because he did keep everything on but his leadership skills really died.  And not to mention the donation benefits most of us got scammed out of 5 months before HRP died.

TL;DR: Keep it dead it had it's run. You can't fix bad management.

Offline Meatwad

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 01:37:53 AM »
OCRP for life.

Offline ^0[GKBS] ^1Avo

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »
There's a few Harbor Roleplay servers that took off where CG died at. They're doing pretty good for themselves, and I feel like if CG had came back up and tried to get back to where it was, people wouldn't want to change over from a server where they have all of their stuff again.

Catalyst Gaming

Offline vizioN

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 01:31:48 AM »
Get it goin' fellas.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal