Author Topic: Building a new PC  (Read 14009 times)

Offline Adam S

• I FUCK HORSES AND I HAVE AUTISM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Building a new PC
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »
Go for Intel chips. AMD are still a ways behind. And don't cheap yourself out. If you have the money to spend on a good rig, spend it. Last thing you wanna do is regret not spending more and knowing you could have done better.

I've tended to stay away from AMD in general, for better or worse.  Intel has certainly served me well and Nvidia is...I guess it's good?
To Try and avoid a massive flamewar the overall quality of a Nvidia card is much better.  You will be paying extra "Compared to the others" if you even want to call it that.  But the proof is in the pudding....
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 07:33:08 PM »
I forgot where you live, but if you have a Microcenter near you definitely go there. They have prices that are equal if not lower than Amazon, and have everything you can imagine.

Also, what Adam suggested is good and future proof(Especially if you go with the 970. I'm going to be selling mine that's a few months old if you want to talk). 8gb RAM is definitely enough, but with how cheap it is and if you have the money you may as well go for the 16gb.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 08:36:55 PM »
I forgot where you live, but if you have a Microcenter near you definitely go there. They have prices that are equal if not lower than Amazon, and have everything you can imagine.

Also, what Adam suggested is good and future proof(Especially if you go with the 970. I'm going to be selling mine that's a few months old if you want to talk). 8gb RAM is definitely enough, but with how cheap it is and if you have the money you may as well go for the 16gb.

Never heard of that, so probably not.  I live in western Oregon, FYI.

Also, I'm not going to go cheap, but with as high as I'm having to push my budget (if it even still exists even more), I'm not sure if it's worth the added expense. 

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 10:27:30 PM »

Never heard of that, so probably not.  I live in western Oregon, FYI.

Also, I'm not going to go cheap, but with as high as I'm having to push my budget (if it even still exists even more), I'm not sure if it's worth the added expense.
Go for the 16gb. Just do it!
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 10:31:18 PM »
Don't listen to these Nvidia fanboys

With the R9 300 series cards coming out, they'll use the GTX cards as a mop. Take it from somebody who owns/uses a Nvidia card. AMD does lack on the CPU side when it comes to high end stuff, but as far as GPU's go, there's no reason to not go with AMD. Don't let their superior marketing strategies and fanboyism fool you, look at the benchmarks yourself to see through the lies.

EXAMPLE:

The Titan X costs 1050$ and the Fury X is going to cost 650$ (It comes out this/next week) and the Fury X has 1.6 Tflops OVER the Titan X.

The 750Ti costs ~150$ and the 270x costs ~150$, and yet the 270x wipes the floor with the 750Ti when it comes down to the benchmarks.

The 280x and 960 both cost a little over 200$, and yet the 280x is simply a better card when it comes down to it.

Side note: If you don't want to support anti-competitive business practices that Nvidia partakes in, then I'd also recommend AMD.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:37:11 PM by rBST Cow »
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 11:06:57 PM »
Don't listen to these Nvidia fanboys

With the R9 300 series cards coming out, they'll use the GTX cards as a mop. Take it from somebody who owns/uses a Nvidia card. AMD does lack on the CPU side when it comes to high end stuff, but as far as GPU's go, there's no reason to not go with AMD. Don't let their superior marketing strategies and fanboyism fool you, look at the benchmarks yourself to see through the lies.

EXAMPLE:

The Titan X costs 1050$ and the Fury X is going to cost 650$ (It comes out this/next week) and the Fury X has 1.6 Tflops OVER the Titan X.

The 750Ti costs ~150$ and the 270x costs ~150$, and yet the 270x wipes the floor with the 750Ti when it comes down to the benchmarks.

The 280x and 960 both cost a little over 200$, and yet the 280x is simply a better card when it comes down to it.

Side note: If you don't want to support anti-competitive business practices that Nvidia partakes in, then I'd also recommend AMD.
I own an R9 270x. It gets incredibly hot and can barely run GTA5 on Normal settings with lower than 1920x1080. When I got it I was so ready to play Far Cry 3. "Sorry mate, mediocre/low settings for you" - said the game. I also have an AMD A-10 6800K CPU. I've used AMD in every PC I have owned and I am very ready to switch to Intel because I have been disappointed with every single AMD product I have owned. I literally don't remember ever buying an AMD build that I was pleased with. Maybe that's just my stupidly high standards? I dunno. But what I do know, with the hefty burden of hindsight, is; if you have the expendable money, buy the best. And Intel, from everything I have read and seen, is still way in front.

At the end of the day it's your money and these are just opinions. We all have bias towards one thing or another so try and make an informed opinion. Look on tech forums, compare stats. Do your research because it will determine whether you are happy with your purchase for the next 2 to 3 years. Or it will determine whether you feel like you've wasted your money on low budget cheapo shite and just wanna sell it and start again ^_^
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 12:16:06 AM »
amds cards are perfectly acceptable, their processors are meh at best. go intel for your processor and use benchmarks to decide on a card.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
Nvidia is actually progressing with their GPUs, AMD's 2xx series is literally a rebrand of the previous series and now the new 3xx is ANOTHER rebrand of the same thing. If you want actual quality, good performance and good temperatures you will want to go with Nvidia, even AMD isn't worth the price anymore when they keep rebranding.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:23:43 AM by Teitoku Ippan »

Offline rBST Cow

• Tinniest title on CG
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
Nvidia is actually progressing with their GPUs, AMD's 2xx series is literally a rebrand of the previous series and now the new 3xx is ANOTHER rebrand of the same thing. If you want actual quality, good performance and good temperatures you will want to go with Nvidia, even AMD isn't worth the price anymore when they keep rebranding.

Benchmarks speak for themselves.

amds cards are perfectly acceptable, their processors are meh at best. go intel for your processor and use benchmarks to decide on a card.

Yea nobodys doubting that, if you want a high end CPU then go Intel. AMD is only good for if you're budget only allows a low end CPU. I mean really, go Intel over AMD when it comes to CPU's at all costs.
abbot common stop bad for you if u watch anime all day nigga u fuckn weaboo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal