Author Topic: Building a new PC  (Read 13957 times)

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Building a new PC
« on: June 16, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »
So, I've decided to build a new PC over the summer to replace my laptop.  I know jack about what makes hardware "good", so I would like to ask your help in finding the components I will need to build a gaming computer.  I've currently set a tentative budget at $750, but this may change if necessary.

Any techies able to help?

Offline Adam S

• I FUCK HORSES AND I HAVE AUTISM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Building a new PC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 02:40:52 PM »
So, I've decided to build a new PC over the summer to replace my laptop.  I know jack about what makes hardware "good", so I would like to ask your help in finding the components I will need to build a gaming computer.  I've currently set a tentative budget at $750, but this may change if necessary.

Any techies able to help?
Quick Questions:
Keeping old OS or not (Can clone to a new drive if you want).
Monitor, keyboard, mouse do you have any?

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »
Quick Questions:

1.  Probably not, I'll probably purchase a new copy of Windows.  Which one would you suggest?  The one on my laptop is Windows 7.

2.  I have a wireless mouse, but that's the extent of my external hardware I currently have on hand.

Offline Adam S

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
Quick Questions:

1.  Probably not, I'll probably purchase a new copy of Windows.  Which one would you suggest?  The one on my laptop is Windows 7.

2.  I have a wireless mouse, but that's the extent of my external hardware I currently have on hand.
I would highly suggest saving up abit more cash.  I have a build id suggest but its at the 1k mark due to having to add a monitor (And OS).  The build is mostly future proof for a good while.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »
I would highly suggest saving up abit more cash.  I have a build id suggest but its at the 1k mark due to having to add a monitor (And OS).  The build is mostly future proof for a good while.

Can do.  This job I've got at the local country club pays pretty damn well, both due to Oregon's high as fuck minimum wage plus 15% gratuities.

In the mean time, what was the build you were going to suggest?

Offline Adam S

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »

Can do.  This job I've got at the local country club pays pretty damn well, both due to Oregon's high as fuck minimum wage plus 15% gratuities.

In the mean time, what was the build you were going to suggest?
Right now i would lean at this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jvt9ZL

However if you are willing to save up until lets say end of July (When Windows 10 is out) we can use it and probably upgrade to a 970, 16GB of ram.  You would have a pretty solid machine then.  I went with a White/Black Design i thought it would look cooler.  Also for the case one bay of drives would need removed for the video card (More than likely). 

Oh yes and if you hate White/Black i can look at Red/Black or some random colors.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »

However if you are willing to save up until lets say end of July (When Windows 10 is out) we can use it and probably upgrade to a 970, 16GB of ram.  You would have a pretty solid machine then.  I went with a White/Black Design i thought it would look cooler.  Also for the case one bay of drives would need removed for the video card (More than likely). 

Oh yes and if you hate White/Black i can look at Red/Black or some random colors.

I can certainly wait.  Another question I had was how much can I expect to pay for labor?  I'd rather not begin to think I could competently assemble the box, so I'd probably pay some guys at Fry's or Best Buy to do it.

Offline Adam S

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »

I can certainly wait.  Another question I had was how much can I expect to pay for labor?  I'd rather not begin to think I could competently assemble the box, so I'd probably pay some guys at Fry's or Best Buy to do it.
I would just buy a pre-done computer then.  iBuyPower, CyberPC or whatever others suggest.  However assembling a PC is VERY simple.

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »
just build it yourself. its way easier then you're probably imagining trust me, took me about an hour to do my first time and I was like 13
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »
just build it yourself. its way easier then you're probably imagining trust me, took me about an hour to do my first time and I was like 13

I probably am just over thinking it.  Either way, I currently have about 200 or 300 in my fund, and I should have all the money I need by the end of July.  It would also probably help if I just went out to Fry's and bought all of those retail.  Would definitely save on the S&H.

Offline Adam S

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »

I probably am just over thinking it.  Either way, I currently have about 200 or 300 in my fund, and I should have all the money I need by the end of July.  It would also probably help if I just went out to Fry's and bought all of those retail.  Would definitely save on the S&H.

Actually retail the parts are abit more expensive.  The cheapest way would be to order it all off Amazon because you can select poor mans shipping for free (3 day shipping will not be that bad also).  I just never enjoy retail stores, seen some jack up prices by well over 50$. 

And as waffle said its almost like legos.  As long as you follow the instructions and pay attention to what you are doing it works. 

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 04:37:11 PM »
make sure to check compatibility between parts too, like the motherboard supports the CPU you are buying (socket matches, BIOS is ready to use it), GPU(s) are able to also slot into the PCIe slots available (and check the PCIe slots too, some have PCIe x4 as the second PCIe slot which would be bad if you are doing SLI), PSU can handle the maximum output of all the hardware together, motherboard can actually fit in the case you've bought, etc

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 05:06:26 PM »
frys will price match anything fulfilled by amazon, so try that if you absolutely want to get everything locally.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline JF

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
Go for Intel chips. AMD are still a ways behind. And don't cheap yourself out. If you have the money to spend on a good rig, spend it. Last thing you wanna do is regret not spending more and knowing you could have done better.
Made by HilariousPlayer
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=5623.0
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=141.0
- Amazing threads that will keep you un-forum banned!

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 05:43:30 PM »
Go for Intel chips. AMD are still a ways behind. And don't cheap yourself out. If you have the money to spend on a good rig, spend it. Last thing you wanna do is regret not spending more and knowing you could have done better.

I've tended to stay away from AMD in general, for better or worse.  Intel has certainly served me well and Nvidia is...I guess it's good?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal