Author Topic: Suggestions pls  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Suggestions pls
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zkNfkL

I'm not exactly good at hardware, I figured some of you might be.

A few notes:
I'm not watercooling
I'm not overclocking
As far as budget, <$1,800 is preferred.

Offline Adam S

• I FUCK HORSES AND I HAVE AUTISM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Suggestions pls
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »
Looks pretty good to me.  Decent parts and will all work together.  However i suggest looking for other cases if you want a decent bang for your buck. Level 10 GT's are overrated for their prices and the stock fans are far from quiet.

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:15 PM »
I know there are cheaper cases out there that look great, I enjoy the aesthetic of Level 10 Snow. The hot swap bays for drives will also be extremely useful to me in the future. Though if you do have suggestions, I'd be more than happy to take a look.

Offline Adam S

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:43:58 PM »
I know there are cheaper cases out there that look great, I enjoy the aesthetic of Level 10 Snow. The hot swap bays for drives will also be extremely useful to me in the future. Though if you do have suggestions, I'd be more than happy to take a look.
When i recently got a new case and cooler i was looking at a Level 10 snow also.  But i also took into account the past case i had.  Thermaltakes new cases have this huge glob of wires for stuff that should not have so many,  apart from this the fans are loud.  Overall i decided to go for a different case that looked sleek but also would provide me a better experience.  So i got a Obsidian 750D because they where on sale Black Friday for 110$ (134$ right now).  The Aesthetics of a case are a major into buying one but i would also look into how useful the case actually is.  Like the hotswap bay.  If you plan to keep that case under a desk it will be a bitch to use the hotswap.  But if you still wanted to use a hotswap i would use this as i have installed some of these before for friends and it also has a nice lock to prevent someone from just popping the drive out. As for the fan the Snow Level 10 GT comes with a front 200mm fan that is the same one from the Chaser MK1 series.  They are not quiet at all and only get worse when you turn them up.  There is no way to fix that but to replace them with better fans.  I have used other ThermalTake cases in the past also,  all giving below average performance.

As a side note i looked into the power supply and also saw complains about some wires being too short in a full tower and also the fan being noisy.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:53:44 PM by Warlord - Adam S »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »
Just toss everything into a vented cardboard box and put a floor fan in front of it.

Go with a case design YOU like. The features and colors on it are mostly all personal. Some people like clean cases with a door that hides all the drives and there's only a power and reset button. Some people like a load of stuff like fan controllers, usb ports audio ports sd card reader. Maybe you want a window to see your shit or maybe you don't. Do you like lights? What color? Do you want an office style case? Futuristic? Grungy? Millitary? What color for that?

However there are a couple key features of a case. One of the biggest is cable management. Try to get a case that allows you to hide the cables behind the mounting plate (the one the mobo attaches to) so you get optimum airflow and so it generally just looks organized and professional. Another thing is make sure it's the right size. You might not need a full size tower to lug around but you also probably don't want a mini case. Most newer cases will fit stock coolers but be aware of that. I had a case where the door wouldn't close over my massive coolermaster heatsink. Finally the last important feature is drive bays. Make sure you have enough lol. That's about it. The rest is all personal.

Offline Adam S

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »
If you are looking for a case that truely has features, the best routes to go are Corsair, NZXT or CoolerMaster.

I suggest either the Corsair 900D which is a heavy beast made out of aluminium and metal and also is very,very modular.

NZXT 820 would be my second in choice, it looks the nicest and meanest of them all but still has as much modularity as the 900D (obviously with more plastic since it's NZXT)

Finally, the CoolerMaster Cosmos 2 is another great case which is mostly built for LAN parties and has the handles for moving about but I know that CoolerMaster is also pretty much top dog for having the most space and flexibility for changes and fitting any rig in.

I personally have the CM Storm Styker, pretty ugly but VERY functional with a hostswap bay. http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/cases/stryker/
NZXT's cases are honestly just eyecandy.  The internals like mounting drives or the quality of materials is lacking.  As for the 900D unless Someone77 decides to do some huge liquid cooling setup the 750D is good enough.  It has 4-5 (I cant count) SSD mounts behind the HDD bay so you could just remove all the HDD bays.  Cosmos 2 however is pretty good also. 

Just toss everything into a vented cardboard box and put a floor fan in front of it.

Go with a case design YOU like. The features and colors on it are mostly all personal. Some people like clean cases with a door that hides all the drives and there's only a power and reset button. Some people like a load of stuff like fan controllers, usb ports audio ports sd card reader. Maybe you want a window to see your shit or maybe you don't. Do you like lights? What color? Do you want an office style case? Futuristic? Grungy? Millitary? What color for that?
This is actually not funny to me because i have seen datacenters use cardboard boxes as a permanent way to hold a motherboard. Even had holes in the box for the motherboards IO Plate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal